LCUT Creative 'O' Gauge laser cut building kits - ebay

Annie

• RMweb Premium

I've been looking at the laser cut wooden building kits made by LCUT creative on ebay and there are some there that would very much fit in with my interest in light railways as well as fit in with the theme of the coarse scale 'O' gauge layout I want to build.  Being a woman of slender means I have to be careful with what money I spend so I was wondering if any forum members had experience of these kits by this maker and if they'd found them to be generally a good buy.  One thing that does stand out for me though is the very reasonable postage price which certainly makes for a refreshing change.  C1ST5Fx.gif

An example of one of the kits I am interested in:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/O-gauge-7-mm-Small-goods-shed-LCC-B-70-08/152891577372?hash=item23990c541c:g:hA0AAOSwPcVV0N8M&fol=71462edb3f03e9221775debf6a1b4002982390a64558d932bf2c9d9c392d9e7a&pwid=lcut.creative

Annie

I have a couple - as yet unbuilt. They are laser cut from a sturdy card - mount board (used in picture framing) perhaps.

They have their own website:

http://www.lcut.co.uk/index.php?page=pages/main&title=Main

They also sell parts from their kits - doors, windows, awnings etc. - which is very useful if you want to create buildings of your own.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Ah so they are a card building kit.  Well that's fine by me as I've been a keen modeller in card for quite some time.  The website is certainly interesting as well as all the additional parts such as windows and doors which would be very useful too.  G1dDhSj.png

• RMweb Gold

I've done a few in 4mm and bought parts - see my Dock Street thread - very happy - only observation is that the interlocking brick edges of the pieces can get caught ( if you're as clumsy as me) and the paper top layer loosens - I may seal with an acrylic spray pre-build next time.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127585-dock-street-sidings/?hl=%2Bdock+%2Bstreet+%2Bsidings

Chris

• RMweb Premium

The buildings look good Chris.  Yes with any kind of paper or card modelling it's a good idea to seal the material with some kind of spray on sealant coating before trying to do anything with it.

I purchased one of the signal boxes in O Gauge some time ago and found it to be a useful base model for altering to suit my needs.

post-20303-0-60884800-1518174515_thumb.jpg

As you can see the roof has been altered and I've built a porch to attach on the side ( which is not in the kit ). It needs to be finished but quite happy to use it on my proposed layout. Must sort those roof slates out !

I also found the service to be very good when ordering.

Grahame

Edited by bgman

The buildings look good Chris.  Yes with any kind of paper or card modelling it's a good idea to seal the material with some kind of spray on sealant coating before trying to do anything with it.

Hi Annie,

We've used their arches along the front of our new exhibition layout. We found the guys there extremely helpful, and their products are very competitively priced and look the part.  

I would however emphasise that they are cut from more of a card type product rather than the usual laser cut plywood , and you definitely need to seal the surface. We didn't do that and as a result we are forever re-touching the paint where individual bricks get knocked off and expose the white card underneath. Our mistake not their fault  We've learnt the lesson for next time. 

regards

Ian

LCUT are good models and basically card as pointed out earlier.  I recently built the Engine Shed:

post-5932-0-03890300-1518189740_thumb.jpg

A couple of issues:

1)  the doors supplied had bracing on both sides which I though was silly.  I built my own doors from Evergreen.

2)  the brick mortar lines are too faint for me so my dodge was to use Scalescenes paper to face the walls.  I don't think you can beat the brick rendering.

I used Scalescenes methods for the roof and the Scalescenes roof vents.

The interior is faced with SS white brick.

I'd buy more kits - the problem is that the kit description often provides no clue as to what the structure is based on.

I think the laser cut  components are very useful.

You can scale up Scalescenes kits to 7mm (print at 175%) but you run into a problem with windows.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the picture Grahame nyZaJwU.gif  Yes that's something I really liked about the way the kits and parts are designed.  The capacity to be modded and customised is very much built in to the whole range.

LCUT's arches and retaining walls are something I want to be using for my layout so your experience is very much noted Ian.  Due to this illness I live with lengthy sessions of cutting things out with craft knives is out, but kits of pieces that can be assembled and painted are just the job.

Yes John, the business of having to try and print a 4mm Scalescenes kit at 175% is just plain too frustrating.  I like the look of 3DK's printable kits too, but the same thing applies with trying to print them out.  I like card as a material and provided it's properly sealed it's very durable.  I don't use plastics as with my dodgy immune system solvents and me just plain don't get on.  I like your engine shed and something like that is likely to end up on my shopping list.  Since my layout will be representing a small 'what-if' independent railway the question of prototypes and what a kit might be based on doesn't worry me so much as it might for someone who is looking for a railway company specific building.

Just noticed the kit price on LCUT site is 21.99, cheaper than ebay - hmmm.  Also for us folk overseas you get the VAT knocked off.  When I bought my kits from LCUT direct I was surprised that there was no shipping - could be a mistake though.

You do need a decent printer to build Scalescenes -- mine's a HP Office Jet (8720), not that dear to buy but ink is an eye opener, although to be fair it lasts me a long time.

John

• RMweb Premium

I agree about the decent printer John.  I've got an HP Photosmart 7660 that does nice high quality prints.  I make my own coach lithos and other such things so a good printer is essential.

I hadn't noticed the price difference between ebay and the LCUT website, but I suppose that's to cover ebay's fees which is understandable really.  As to the shipping thing I haven't placed an order yet so I'd be interested to find out if that was a mistake or not.  Some of the shipping costs some suppliers on ebay Uk are wanting are just plain crazy where shipping can be up to three times what an item might actually cost.  Needless to say I don't even consider buying from these traders no matter what they might be selling.  ueOQWcg.gif

• Like 2

I agree about the decent printer John.  I've got an HP Photosmart 7660 that does nice high quality prints.  I make my own coach lithos and other such things so a good printer is essential.

I hadn't noticed the price difference between ebay and the LCUT website, but I suppose that's to cover ebay's fees which is understandable really.  As to the shipping thing I haven't placed an order yet so I'd be interested to find out if that was a mistake or not.  Some of the shipping costs some suppliers on ebay Uk are wanting are just plain crazy where shipping can be up to three times what an item might actually cost.  Needless to say I don't even consider buying from these traders no matter what they might be selling.  ueOQWcg.gif

I first saw the products on that well known auction site and searched on line. They were cheaper at the time and I purchased direct.

Order placed on a Saturday afternoon arrived first thing Monday morning ! (Obviously this wouldn't apply if you live outside the UK but excellent service ).

I'm not sure of the owners name but I made a specific point of meeting him at the Bristol O Gauge show a couple of weeks ago, and let him know how pleased I was with his work and delivery times. I always feel its just the polite thing to do and it was very much appreciated by him. Customer feedback always helps i'm sure.

Grahame 

Hi there brilliant stuff this LCUT I have built up a lot of this range just made a triple bay o gauge midland signal box just purchased one full kit and a spare back and front and roof and a couple off windows and decking it was a bit touch and go if the roof was going to be long enough by joining especially with the duch ends but all good I find they don't charge postage after £30.0p

u

• Like 1