Hornby Grange Class

B15nac

Hi Neil,

When you say it has "no vacuum pump" I guess you're referring to the spindle (which is connected to the crosshead by a triangular bracket) rather than the black cylindrical pump body (which is attached to the running plate)?

If memory serves that was omitted from the recent 'Grange' release  (eg 'Bucklebury Grange') but was present on the earlier Sander Kan models. Peter's Spares are showing a replacement Hornby 'Grange' valve gear set (part no. X9348) on eBay with the spindle present!

It's easy to make your own spindle from appropriate n/s wire. I have done so with several Hornby 28xxs using two-part epoxy to attach the spindle to the bracket. Hope this helps.

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

From the pictures I've seen so far some comes with the vacuum pump an some doesn't it's a bit hit an miss. quality control looks to have been poor

Kind regards Neil

Considering they are made at the Refined Factory and their QA is very hit and miss with all the loco's they produce for Hornby.

Mine is missing the vacuum pump, but other than that it's a smooth runner straight from the box and nothing else fell off ;)

post-7000-0-10087800-1520449041_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hello TBG

Nice picture - but does the cab handrail needing pushing back into place under the cab roof?

....... their QA is very hit and miss with all the loco's they produce for Hornby.

Mine is missing the vacuum pump, but other than that it's a smooth runner straight from the box and nothing else fell off

Regards Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

• RMweb Gold

Hello TBG

Nice picture - hut does the cab handrail needing pushing back into place under the cab roof?

Regarfs Ray

It has been, I've never had a Grange where one of the cab handrails hasn't need putting back into place at some point and I'm talking double digit numbers here. The current ice cube packaging has made things worse.

Considering they are made at the Refined Factory and their QA is very hit and miss with all the loco's they produce for Hornby.

Mine is missing the vacuum pump, but other than that it's a smooth runner straight from the box and nothing else fell off ;)

6825_lh.jpg

Fantastic picture. If only the loco body moulding was that of a Manor...the chassis, tender and livery are all otherwise correct!! Edited by Adrock

Hi TBG

Yes mine arrived with one of the handrails displaced.

...I've never had a Grange where one of the cab handrails hasn't need putting back into place at some point ....

More seriously one of the buffers is bent over.  How on earth does something like that pass QA?

post-9031-0-26615200-1520789423_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi TBG

More seriously one of the buffers is bent over.  How on earth does something like that pass QA?

attachicon.gifDSC03845.JPG

You are assuming that there is some sort of QA process applied somewhere in the long line between factory work finished and the end customer taking the model out of its box when they get it home.  I have more than a suspicion that in many cases apart from a possible visual 'once over' there is no post manufacture check at all until the model reaches you or, in some cases, the retailer testing it before selling it to you.  How many retailers do you know who test a loco before you buy it?

• RMweb Gold

I've not bought one yet I was just trying to find out if they had the vacuum pump fitted. Wonder why they seem to have left it off?

Kind regards Neil

Possibly the tooling went walkies, before it was returned from Sanda Kan or the Factory (Refined) didn't read the instructions properly ;) Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

Hi TBG

attachicon.gifDSC03845.JPG

In all seriousness, that buffer has been deliberately bent with a pair of pliers, more than likely by a worker wanting to go home after a long shift. I've seen it on a Grange I've acquired before - straightened up easily enough ;)

I've not bought one yet I was just trying to find out if they had the vacuum pump fitted. Wonder why they seem to have left it off?

Kind regards Neil

I think the answer to your question lies in StationMaster Mike's post. These locomotives are being assembled in haste in a production line environment. The operatives may well even be paid 'piece work'. The problem with the vacuum pump spindle is that it requires the slidebars to be lined up with the running plate edge with greater accuracy than if the spindle isn't present. If it isn't lined up correctly the spindle either fouls the inside of the pump body causing drag on the motor or it drops out altogether, a situation that will be all too familiar to anyone who has taken these locos apart for remedial work. To make matters worse the Hornby Grange is very susceptible to 'drooping' cylinders and/or slidebars, a condition that results from the inadequately designed supports for both components. That makes it even more difficult to get the pump spindle to line up with the pump body. Here's a photo to show what I mean:-

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/29974/Hornby-r3452-oo-gauge-br-4-6-0-llanvair-grange-6800-grange-class-locomotive

It is possible with appropriate 'fettling' to get everything to line up, but it takes takes time and time is of course money. Hornby is also gambling on the fact that the bulk of its customers neither know nor care what a vacuum pump is.

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know, the crosshead driven vacuum pump was widely used on GWR 2 cylinder designs and worked like an inverted bicycle tyre pump.  Whereas the bicycle pump pushes air into a tyre, the vacuum pump expels air from the locomotive brake system to help the Driver maintain the 25" Hg depression required to keep the train brakes in the 'release' position. The effectiveness of the pump depended on the speed at which the wheels were turning.  The GWR system was ineffective below 15mph, so the driver would have to use the 'live steam' ejector to release the brakes from a standing start. Once above 15 m.p.h the crosshead driven pump would help maintain the vacuum against the inevitable leakages in 200+ yards of flexible hose and imperfect break cylinder seals. The driver would therefore not have to waste hard-won and expensive 'live steam' to do the same job. 

Andy.

Edited by 7007GreatWestern
  • Like 1

post-4032-0-48329700-1521154957_thumb.jpg

This is an earlier release, Frankton Grange, factory weathered. It has the vacuum pump and rod fitted but difficult to see behind the pipework that runs below the lower edge of the footplate.

Also, I'm interested in getting one of the new release Granges in BR green to rename as Goodmoor Grange, 6838. I've got the plates for this one.  6838 had a smaller tender until close to withdrawal, as there are pics of it then in a very run down condition with a 4000 gal tender. 

There is a pic of 6838 with a smaller tender and late crest (condition I want) on RMweb here,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75801-Dapol-announce-n-gauge-grange-at-tings/

I'm not totally sure that the tender is a standard 3500 gal one though, as the plates either side of the coal  space look somewhat larger.  Now this could just be my eyesight but the Hornby website says "Originally the class were paired with Churchward 3,500 gallon tenders, many coming from the withdrawn ‘4300’ class locomotives, including four with modified higher sides and longer fenders and in time Collett’s own 3,500 gallon tenders were used."   Could the tender in the pic be one of these 4 or is it a Collett 3500 gal one, like the Hornby model?

Info gratefully received!

• RMweb Gold

Hornby Overton Grange (6879) and Paviland Grange (6845) do not have the vacuum pump spindle fitted to the crosshead extension but the cylinder is fitted tucked away behind the running plate piping but it is out of line with the crosshead.  To my eyes the spindle if fitted would not be visible when in motion.  Pitchford Hall (4953) however does have the vacuum pump assembly fully functional and is clearly visible.