Tank. Mastodon is the extended Hornby Dublo starter tank I first mentioned in Post 120. Because of its size and my limited materials I can't find anything in my collection that fits properly.

I was going to say make something like an LNER C12, but I did also get a Hornby D49 today (early birthday present!) so a 4-4-0 is an option too.

I was going to say make something like an LNER C12, but I did also get a Hornby D49 today (early birthday present!) so a 4-4-0 is an option too.

How does what you have relate to what I have to work with? Not to sound like a jerk so sorry if that's how it sounds, just that statement slightly confused me. Still, the D49 is a nice locomotive so I'm happy for you.

Secondly, the issue is less finding a wheel arrangement that'll fit (though that is a bit of an issue as it actually has a shorter body than Geoffrey Lake) and more finding a chassis that it won't immediately just slide over and rest on the floor with because of how wide it is.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

Been fiddling around with some odds and ends. Having one of my days off early does have advantages. Noticed the tender connections for the two Lima drive tenders are the perfect height to use loops of hook and loop couplings to link them to unpowered chassis. Definitely gives me options...

Sorry if that confused you. Just making a suggestion.

It's fine mate. Anyway, it now it looks like Mastodon may now have a chassis, namely a working Triang Jinty one with outside cylinders added. The hardest bit will be making the body fit properly. 

• Like 1

And lo, Mastodon is complete. The body sits a bit high (no worse than Geoffrey Lake though) and the cylinders are very low indeed but I'm happy with it. 

post-33750-0-37699300-1521149208_thumb.jpg

It now sits atop the Spare Jinty's chassis, adorned with some of the cylinders and outside motion uax6 supplied me with, and it is still a colossus of a locomotive, especially compared to BulldogGeoffrey Lake and Wanderer, the KLR's other three tank engines at this time. The piston rods are separated from the coupling rods (despite not appearing like they are) - I used the tiny washers from the Airfix 2-6-2 chassis uax6 also gave me as the crankpins weren't long enough to facilitate the proper spacers. I do think this massive tank engine will look good hauling wagons of gravel and such along the KLR.

• Like 8

And lo, Mastodon is complete. The body sits a bit high (no worse than Geoffrey Lake though) and the cylinders are very low indeed but I'm happy with it. 

attachicon.gifNo.4 Finished.jpg

It now sits atop the Spare Jinty's chassis, adorned with some of the cylinders and outside motion uax6 supplied me with, and it is still a colossus of a locomotive, especially compared to BulldogGeoffrey Lake and Wanderer, the KLR's other three tank engines at this time. The piston rods are separated from the coupling rods (despite not appearing like they are) - I used the tiny washers from the Airfix 2-6-2 chassis uax6 also gave me as the crankpins weren't long enough to facilitate the proper spacers. I do think this massive tank engine will look good hauling wagons of gravel and such along the KLR.

Brilliant!

(Glad somebody's finally mentioned the elephant in the room)

(or is that just a piece of very heavy metal?)

Hat ... coat ...

• Like 1

Lots of delicious feedback I see! 

Brilliant!

(Glad somebody's finally mentioned the elephant in the room)

(or is that just a piece of very heavy metal?)

Hat ... coat ...

The door's that way, Ed.  :jester:

How have I only just stumbled across this workbench thread?!

Red, your work is amazing, especially that at the beginning; using only a breadknife?! I salute you, Sir, on your bodging attitude.

I'll keep checking in with interest; you lot with your Eastern Counties ways, you'll be distracting me away from Hastings soon enough, or trying to persuade me to run through services via Stratford or the North London Line, I know it, I know it...

But honestly, I'm very impressed and wish I had the visions you do for what I want my stock to be like.

- Alexandra

Aww, nice to see I have another fan!
Yes, the breadknife. I'm working the barest of bones here, so improvisation is a good skill to have. Also, linking a tiny privately owned light railway in the middle of the Fens to ANYTHING is going to be hard, mate! :laugh:

But yeah, thanks. I've actually improvised a lot of this. The trick is to always keep an open mind and not have TOO strict a plan. That way you can easily work something that comes along and takes your fancy into your plan. To this end I never actually planned any of my locomotives bar BulldogWild Rover and Wanderer. The difficulty I had with Mastodon and the difficulty I'm still having with Peter should make that clear.

They've already encouraged me to dig out some drawings for GER locos to get the CAD done, even though I really need to get on with the LSWR and LBSCR locos!

As someone who mainly uses GER building practice as their design manifesto, I fully approve of this!  :laugh:

• Like 4

Anyway, I have some free time to hand so let's update some lore.

No.4 "Mastodon"

Built by Hudswell Clarke for a colliery line in Wales, Mastodon was built in 1929 and was originally unnamed, just numbered as No.12. It spent years running along a line at the bottom of a valley, running dozens of coal wagons up and down the line, before being sold when the line closed in 1946 when the mine became too costly to keep open (the Berkham Museum has several photos of it hauling massive lines of loaded coal wagons along its old line). It, along with No.5 Geoffrey Lake (which originates from the same railway) arrived in 1947 on the KLR and the two locomotives immediately caught the eye of the 4th Baronet's youngest child Emily who took an immediate liking to them. It was her that then convinced her father to purchase them for the KLR and they then stayed. Emily's other interest (that of prehistoric creatures) inspired Mastodon's name. The two engines have remained there ever since.
Mastodon is not an engine that will be winning any beauty contests. It is a monstrous engine, compact but gigantic, with the highest boiler pressure and largest boiler of any of the KLR's locomotives despite a wheelbase the same size as that of Geoffrey Lake. It towers over the other tank engines on the line, sitting high on its chassis (a trait shared by Geoffrey Lake; the line had a slightly higher than average running plate height for some reason) with low cylinders that almost scrape the ground and a very long cab which for some reason contains the entire of Mastodon's firebox. However, what it lacks in grace it makes up for in torque. Mastodon is almost surreal in its sheer pulling power, outperforming every single other loco on the KLR in haulage tests. Its high boiler pressure, massive weight and slow speed grant it strength that outweighs the KLR's other goods locos by a clear margin and even some heavy goods locomotives twice its size! To this end, it performs a similar task today that it did in its old stomping ground: it can usually be found hauling wagons of gravel and other aggregates from Alnerwick Quarry or returning empties to the Quarry for refilling. Mastodon was built as a beast of burden; it is only good at one thing, but that one thing it does very well.

• Like 6

Anyway, I have some free time to hand so let's update some lore.No.4 "Mastodon"

Built by Hudswell Clarke for a colliery line in Wales, Mastodon was built in 1929 and was originally unnamed, just numbered as No.12. It spent years running along a line at the bottom of a valley, running dozens of coal wagons up and down the line, before being sold when the line closed in 1946 when the mine became too costly to keep open (the Berkham Museum has several photos of it hauling massive lines of loaded coal wagons along its old line). It, along with No.5 Geoffrey Lake (which originates from the same railway) arrived in 1947 on the KLR and the two locomotives immediately caught the eye of the 4th Baronet's youngest child Emily who took an immediate liking to them. It was her that then convinced her father to purchase them for the KLR and they then stayed. Emily's other interest (that of prehistoric creatures) inspired Mastodon's name. The two engines have remained there ever since.Mastodon is not an engine that will be winning any beauty contests. It is a monstrous engine, compact but gigantic, with the highest boiler pressure and largest boiler of any of the KLR's locomotives despite a wheelbase the same size as that of Geoffrey Lake. It towers over the other tank engines on the line, sitting high on its chassis (a trait shared by Geoffrey Lake; the line had a slightly higher than average running plate height for some reason) with low cylinders that almost scrape the ground and a very long cab which for some reason contains the entire of Mastodon's firebox. However, what it lacks in grace it makes up for in torque. Mastodon is almost surreal in its sheer pulling power, outperforming every single other loco on the KLR in haulage tests. Its high boiler pressure, massive weight and slow speed grant it strength that outweighs the KLR's other goods locos by a clear margin and even some heavy goods locomotives twice its size! To this end, it performs a similar task today that it did in its old stomping ground: it can usually be found hauling wagons of gravel and other aggregates from Alnerwick Quarry or returning empties to the Quarry for refilling. Mastodon was built as a beast of burden; it is only good at one thing, but that one thing it does very well.

Sounds like a very interesting history for No. 4. I like it!

• Like 1

Some more lore for you guys!

No.5 "Geoffrey Lake"

Built by the North British Locomotive Company as one half of a pair of locomotives for the same railway as MastodonGeoffrey Lake (originally just No.17) was built in 1930 as an attempt by that railway's head of copying the LBSCR's E2 class tank engines. It was used as a heavy shunter and also for running light passenger services before that line closed down. Like Mastodon, it arrived on the KLR in 1947 and immediately caught the attention of the 14-year-old Emily Bradleigh, the youngest daughter of the Bradleigh household (and later CME of the KLR from 1973 - 1996) who convinced her father, then CEO of the KLR Edward, the 4th Baronet Bradleigh, to purchase the two after their trial. Its name comes from Emily's maternal grandfather, who'd helped keep the railway open during the Great War by assisting the 3rd Baronet financially. 

Geoffrey Lake is, by all intents and purposes, a rather generic 0-6-0 mixed-traffic tank engine. While not especially powerful it is reliable and is very much the railway's "jack of all trades" locomotive, often running as a backup engine in case of emergencies or during days with particularly heavy traffic. 

• Like 5

No.6 "Wanderer"

Wanderer is very much an outcast amongst the KLR fleet. While the KLR's other locomotives are either privately made ones from various small lines that sold their stock, specially made by private companies for the KLR, or reworked locomotives pawned off to them by the LNER, Wanderer is not only none of those things but is not even from Norfolk! Wanderer is a GWR 4800 class 0-4-2 branch tank originally numbered 4875.

The story of how Wanderer ended up on the KLR is probably the biggest scandal in the history of the railway. During the late 1930s and early 1940s the railway was having an issue with motive power as many of their older locomotives were becoming run down and stopping working, and many of them were scrapped. Thus, the CME at the time, who was known for not being a particularly scrupulous individual, purchased several locomotives through illegal backroom deals, and Wanderer was one of them, being purchased in 1938 and smuggled to the KLR from Swindon. The CME in question, James Donaldson, was eventually discovered in 1942, arrested on charges of corporate espionage, theft and tax evasion, and spent the remaining 6 years of his life in prison before dying of a stroke. However, while the rest of the locomotives were returned to their rightful owners, Robert Horne and the GWR for unknown reasons allowed the KLR to keep 4875. It was then painted in KLR black, and given the name Wanderer (reflecting its history of "going walkabout") and the number 6, going by KLR custom of reusing numbers of locomotives no longer in service. And it has remained at the KLR ever since, working on a rota for passenger work with Bulldog and Wild Rover.

• Like 7

Been fiddling with one of the motorised tenders uax6 gave me again. I'm not actually 100% sure how they work totally. Also how much can they push? Been wondering about tender engines for the KLR, and particularly potentially something from the motorless 2-6-2T Airfix chassis that uax6 also gave me.

Also decided that this might not be the best place for the layout design brainstorm stuff so I've made a separate town building and layout brainstorming thread for that, which there's a link to in my sig.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They are of the American pattern, in as much as they pick up on one side, and the loco provides the other side pick-up.

They will pull four or five bogie coaches, but obviously more if you can stuff them full of lead!

Andy G

They are of the American pattern, in as much as they pick up on one side, and the loco provides the other side pick-up.

They will pull four or five bogie coaches, but obviously more if you can stuff them full of lead!

Andy G

Hmm. Thanks. That pickup arrangement complicates things.

Found this while browsing one of sem34090's threads.

post-33750-0-68035600-1521575903_thumb.jpg

Sounds kind of like the backstory one of my KLR locomotives would have. I'd love to find out more about this engine. Sounds a little like Peter in terms of the sort of thing that happens to it.

Speaking of which, our little No.3 still sits with no chassis. Or cab, as I decided to take the cab I'd made off again after taking in Edwardian's feedback and just use the Pug one. Of course, money has stopped me from getting said chassis and cab, so it'll have to sit where it is for now.

Still I have five usable locomotives. That's a solid start.

• Like 1

Found this while browsing one of sem34090's threads.

attachicon.gifpost-33498-0-60415800-1517489807.jpg

Sounds kind of like the backstory one of my KLR locomotives would have. I'd love to find out more about this engine. Sounds a little like Peter in terms of the sort of thing that happens to it.

Speaking of which, our little No.3 still sits with no chassis. Or cab, as I decided to take the cab I'd made off again after taking in Edwardian's feedback and just use the Pug one. Of course, money has stopped me from getting said chassis and cab, so it'll have to sit where it is for now.

Still I have five usable locomotives. That's a solid start.

Sounds interesting. I see you've also changed the title.

Sounds interesting. I see you've also changed the title.

Yeah. Decided that the "of Failure" was a bit excessive after a couple of people commented on my apparent self confidence issues. Which I do have, but not when it comes to typing to people I can't see through a computer screen and certainly not to my modelling skills for the most part. So I shortened it to what it now is as it still retains the self-deprecating humour that has sort of become my trademark without coming off as too much.

Also, may I note that I am not going to build Seaford up there. The domain of the KLR's loco works remains as it does in the realms of fiction rather than reality. I prefer it that way - means I can't really get my locos wrong.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quite right (change of title) positive thoughts and all that. Actually single driver tankies are very good items to build, the wheels are cheaper, setting them up is easier, as there's no coupling rods binding. If you get your weight distribution right, they will perform quite well, I’ll come back on that when I’ve a bit more time.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107190-washbourne/page-3

Quite right (change of title) positive thoughts and all that. Actually single driver tankies are very good items to build, the wheels are cheaper, setting them up is easier, as there's no coupling rods binding. If you get your weight distribution right, they will perform quite well, I’ll come back on that when I’ve a bit more time.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107190-washbourne/page-3

I actually have Internet atm so I can post on my lunch break! :)

Thanks Northroader. The support of you guys means a lot to me.

Hmm. Didn't think about singles to be honest. Thought they were a teeny bit old fashioned for the KLR considering its date of founding.

(Then again Peter predates the railway too to be fair. Hmm...)

I actually have Internet atm so I can post on my lunch break! :)

Thanks Northroader. The support of you guys means a lot to me.

Hmm. Didn't think about singles to be honest. Thought they were a teeny bit old fashioned for the KLR considering its date of founding.

(Then again Peter predates the railway too to be fair. Hmm...)

I don't know if you've mentioned it already (you probably have, I assume!) but how far back does the railway date?

I don't know if you've mentioned it already (you probably have, I assume!) but how far back does the railway date?

Well, the layout is the present-day KLR, but it was founded in 1903. Peter on the other hand is the KLR's oldest loco and was built in 1896.