I haven't really talked about it that much, but as proud as I was of completing Wild Rover, I wasn't totally satisfied with the outcome. The proportions of the chimney and dome just always seemed... off to me. But I was a bit scared of doing too many more alterations to it.
Well, I decided to bite the bullet and the result is, to me, far more satisfying.

post-33750-0-64064900-1532085623_thumb.jpg

The dome being taller than the chimney looked wrong to me. So now it has the chimney and dome from a Triang 4MT tank body shell, which I think looks MUCH better.

• Like 6

A small addition to the KLR's rolling stock list: I modified the starter box brakevan I had sitting around into something more unique. 

post-33750-0-68237200-1532277804_thumb.jpg

Also found this while rifling around in the shed:
post-33750-0-30547100-1532278206_thumb.jpg

It's my old ERTL toy of the Fat Controller's car. So basically I have an OO scale (roughly - I hope - actually I have no idea, can someone help with that?) model of a 1940s Lagonda... exactly the sort of stylish car Sir Jacob Bradleigh would drive while on business. 
But before I go ahead and paint it up how rare is this? 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 4

Taking Dickon's idea, I attached several parts of the tender kit Chris (Sandhole) gave me and ended up with: 

attachicon.gifNo.10 Tender WIP 1.jpg

attachicon.gifNo.10 Tender WIP 2.jpg

I'm not 100% satisfied with this end result but hey, can win them all, and it could have looked worse. At least Saint Julian can now have a tender.

Tidy job on that tender my friend!!

Proper fettlin' modelling!!

Chris.

Thanks Chris! Motivating as always!

Anyway, the KLR layout now has a small river wharf instead of a quarry (recreating Alnerwick Quarry I decided was impractical so I decided to do something a bit different) I decided a wharf needs a shunter. 

post-33750-0-67355300-1532378261_thumb.jpg

Here is a Hornby Toby chassis I had knocking around. Time to make me a short wheelbase 0-6-0 saddle tank. Starting with some Dowlais Tank and Nellie parts of course. Peter lends some aid to get the couplings level.

• Like 5

The Wharf Tank comes to a grinding halt.
post-33750-0-89094600-1532439331_thumb.jpg
The body shell looks very, VERY nice. The issue is it now doesn't fit the chassis due to the size of the Toby motor. Oh dear. Do I have another working Nellie chassis sitting around...?

• Like 3

Found one.
post-33750-0-17571200-1532445168_thumb.jpg
Cylinders are the ones from the Princess that became Saint Julian. Perfect little dock tank, and thanks Corbs for inspiring me with his Percy build. There then is No.11. Now I need to get couplings for it, as well as a name and backstory.

• Like 3

Found one.

attachicon.gifSaddle tank with chassis.jpg

Cylinders are the ones from the Princess that became Saint Julian. Perfect little dock tank, and thanks Corbs for inspiring me with his Percy build. There then is No.11. Now I need to get couplings for it, as well as a name and backstory.

You are a ruddy machine boy!!!!

That is one nice little piece of kit! Love the way you have used the Princess cylinders!

That smokebox almost has a Yorkshire Engine look to it, Hard!!

I'm going to have to get my arse in gear!!!!

Have you got new plans for the Toby chassis?

Chris.

• Like 1

That pacific of yourn, shouldn’t it be “Saint Delia of Norwich”?

Damn it, you! xD

Seriously though, Saint Julian was a really interesting figure in history which is why I picked her name.

You are a ruddy machine boy!!!!

That is one nice little piece of kit! Love the way you have used the Princess cylinders!

That smokebox almost has a Yorkshire Engine look to it, Hard!!

I'm going to have to get my arse in gear!!!!

Have you got new plans for the Toby chassis?

Chris.

Thanks. I'm starting to wonder if my work rate is TOO fast... 

It is a bit Yorkshire Engine Company, isn't it? I was more going for Hunslet or Hudswell Clarke. Not quite sure what it looks like stylistically though.

As for the Toby chassis... I don't know. It's just sat on the bench for now.  

• Like 2

Wow, the paint is drying quickly in this heat.
post-33750-0-04620300-1532462904_thumb.jpg
So, here is No.11, aka "The Wharf Tank". Although it does have a name now...

Richard, named for my older brother, one of my biggest supporters in all this. Basically identical to Corbs' version of Percy in basic construction. Now to find it some couplings...

Also I'm keeping with this way of doing the finished product shots because they just come out so much clearer like this. Lore on the loco when I get to Hewe on the Jacob Bradleigh thread.

post-33750-0-04620300-1532462904_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Damn it, you! xD

Seriously though, Saint Julian was a really interesting figure in history which is why I picked her name.

"…All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(Cross Post with the rest of my threads)

Sorry for the radio silence but I have been dealing with a lot of real life issues of late. But that doesn't mean I've been neglecting the KLR.

One brake van, scratch built on Triang chassis, and some building kits, as well as a Volvo 544 for Jacob Bradleigh's car as he loves classic cars. Stay tuned...

post-33750-0-75582000-1533658909_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Love the brake van!!

There was a lass at the riding school where I learnt all about all sorts of stuff!!! who had a station wagon version of that Volvo!

Enforced one month layoff thanks to my GP talking to Christie's

I think I'll give the Beast, your name!!!, a kicking!!

Thanks to the interweb, I've got my Sherwood turntable back in action. That means my aged and battered vinyl is back!!

Cool night in Manchester, french windows open, Pressfix out and an eclectic bunch under the hand.

black USA 30066, Lancing Carriage Works in the 60s, first USA I ever saw!! Made an impression!!

HornbyB1, renumered to one I saw in Manchester Victoria.

Hornby Black5 double chimney, 065, Patricroft engine, favourite on the Wales run out of Exchange!!

Now the music will really blow your mind!!!

The best of Barbera Dixon!!

Oh My Yes!

The Prog'll come later!!!

Keep doing what you do! I'll post more on the 2-8-0 later!

I've also got two Iberterain Polly 0-6-0 tanks to do!!!

You and Corbs have infected me!!!!!!

Chris.

got the turntable back.

• Like 1

Love the brake van!!

There was a lass at the riding school where I learnt all about all sorts of stuff!!! who had a station wagon version of that Volvo!

Enforced one month layoff thanks to my GP talking to Christie's

I think I'll give the Beast, your name!!!, a kicking!!

Thanks to the interweb, I've got my Sherwood turntable back in action. That means my aged and battered vinyl is back!!

Cool night in Manchester, french windows open, Pressfix out and an eclectic bunch under the hand.

black USA 30066, Lancing Carriage Works in the 60s, first USA I ever saw!! Made an impression!!

HornbyB1, renumered to one I saw in Manchester Victoria.

Hornby Black5 double chimney, 065, Patricroft engine, favourite on the Wales run out of Exchange!!

Now the music will really blow your mind!!!

The best of Barbera Dixon!!

Oh My Yes!

The Prog'll come later!!!

Keep doing what you do! I'll post more on the 2-8-0 later!

I've also got two Iberterain Polly 0-6-0 tanks to do!!!

You and Corbs have infected me!!!!!

Glad to hear it, though sorry, that freelancing bug is very contagious! Also glad to hear Sir Jacob's choice of vehicle brings back memories!

Nice to hear about the return of your old stuff to work!

And may I recommend the albums Aqualung by Jethro Tull and every single Pink Floyd album between and including Dark Side of the Moon and The Division Bell?

• Like 3

And finally the completed Kelsby light passenger service is complete. Bulldog with the two four wheelers, the luggage van and the brake van from Great Eastern Models yesterday.

post-33750-0-83336200-1533758742_thumb.jpg

Sorry it's not a great photo. Light in here is shocking. I really need to find a better photoshoot location.

• Like 10

And finally the completed Kelsby light passenger service is complete. Bulldog with the two four wheelers, the luggage van and the brake van from Great Eastern Models yesterday.

attachicon.gifDSC_0049.JPG

Sorry it's not a great photo. Light in here is shocking. I really need to find a better photoshoot location.

That is a Tidy train!

I'm with you on Jethro Tull and the Floyd!!

I personally think the best recorded version of Aqualung is on the Live Bursting Out album. That together with Live At Leeds from The Who, are the two best live albums!!!

I realise I've just created a hornets nest!!! I don't care!!!!

On the Floyd front, my mate Graham has got tickets to see Mason's band 'Saucerfull Of Secrets'. They are doing the Sid Barrett stuff.

It took me a while to get into the Sid stuff!! 

I'm really looking forward to seeing that!!

On the Kelsby front. I can't remember wether you have turntables or triangles, but are you going to be doing 'Bucket First' running as a matter of course?

This is just a question. The southern did it with Bulleid pacifics, what didn't they do with Bulleid pacifics?!! The LMS did it with pacifics on empty stock into Euston.

Just popped into my head!

Chris.

• Like 1

That is a Tidy train!

I'm with you on Jethro Tull and the Floyd!!

I personally think the best recorded version of Aqualung is on the Live Bursting Out album. That together with Live At Leeds from The Who, are the two best live albums!!!

I realise I've just created a hornets nest!!! I don't care!!!!

On the Floyd front, my mate Graham has got tickets to see Mason's band 'Saucerfull Of Secrets'. They are doing the Sid Barrett stuff.

It took me a while to get into the Sid stuff!!

I'm really looking forward to seeing that!!

On the Kelsby front. I can't remember wether you have turntables or triangles, but are you going to be doing 'Bucket First' running as a matter of course?

This is just a question. The southern did it with Bulleid pacifics, what didn't they do with Bulleid pacifics?!! The LMS did it with pacifics on empty stock into Euston.

Just popped into my head!

Chris.

Thank you!

Got to love some prog. Think I've mentioned before that Pink Floyd are my favourite band.

And yes, those are both amazing live albums, along with Pink Floyd's PULSE and Genesis Live in Rome.

Never seen Saucerful, but I have seen Aussie Pink Floyd. They were awesome, close your eyes you can hardly tell the difference.

And don't worry. Took me a while to get into Peter Gabriel era Genesis.

Bulldog likely will spend some time running in reverse with it.

Kelsby will have a turntable at the end of the loop... hopefully, assuming I can figure out how to make it work.

• Like 2

This is really 'Get My Coat' stuff!!!

My favourite prog track- Starless by King Crimson.

You want to go off piste?

Try the Unthanks version of 'Starless'.

I have a thing with 'The Unthanks', I do their singing weerkends.

Can't do it this year thanks to this f***ing disease!!

Go after both versions of 'Starless'. I think it will pay off!!!!!

Chris.

By the way, 'The Beast' will have lever reverse. Private railway, shunting, you have to have lever reverse!

I remember the story told to me and my old mate, 'Coachbogie' on this forum, by an old Western driver.

The 94s were strong engines, they had screw reverse. Can you imagine shunting with that?

It is interesting to see one of the preserved 94s has a lever reverse fitted!!

Wack it back and forth, far better!!!

C.

By the way, 'The Beast' will have lever reverse. Private railway, shunting, you have to have lever reverse!

I remember the story told to me and my old mate, 'Coachbogie' on this forum, by an old Western driver.

The 94s were strong engines, they had screw reverse. Can you imagine shunting with that?

It is interesting to see one of the preserved 94s has a lever reverse fitted!!

Wack it back and forth, far better!!!

C.

Hmm. Interesting to see lever reverse on an engine that size.

Hmm. Interesting to see lever reverse on an engine that size.

The early Saints had lever reverse as did the early 28xx.

Might change again yet!!!

I'll have to watch myself or I'll get bogged down in minutae!!!!!

I was going to the Astle Park show today. The weather is not special and not wishing to go down with anything two days before my next chemo I erred on the side of caution and stayed home and played trains!!!

I do not want to get my liason nurse, Helen, browned off with me!!!! Lovely woman but very scarey when narked!!!

C.