The M-K & Eastern RR Harbour branch

M Graff

I have an ability to let the rolling stock pile up high before I get around to weather them ... Might be a case of that I do a lot of weathering for others :D.

Anyway, I have, while I made a weathering tutorial (if there is someone who wants to publish it ;) ..), weathered a couple of my U.S. cars. I have made six pieces. 2 pieces of hard weathered, three medium and one mildly weathered. Now they're intended to represent having been exposed to a combination of dust, soot, steam locomotives, diesel and other unhealthy things.

DSC00327.JPG

A Frisco Gondola and a 50 'Automobile Boxcar.

DSC00330.JPG

2 pieces of 40 'Boxcars a CP and WP.

DSC00332.JPG

One more picture ...

The two that are not visible here're almost done ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael

I've enjoyed reading your thread and your blog, great pictures too. I read earlier that you used the Peco code 75 track and points, what size of points have you used ?

Regards

Thanks, I use the medium points, they are the ones that I think has a big enough curve, and at the same time is short enough not to steal too much linear space.

I have tried all my rolling material on them, even the ones that "demand" 70 cm radius curves handles the medium points without a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been busy installing some lights on the layout. I think it is especially important to have night lighting on a layout that is situated in the living room as this one is [:D].

Here are some photos of the result:

DSC00999.JPG

Night on the docks.

DSC01008.JPG

The switcher is doing the nightshift on the harbor.

DSC01014.JPG

In the City all is quiet...

Thanks! I have reloaded the pics on page one now ;).

I have also made a few more builds and changes on the layout. Mostly to get a better "flow" on it.

I built a Ball signal to protect the approach to the floatbridge:

post-6867-035336800 1287799817_thumb.jpg

It is to signal with White ball up, that there is a barge in the dock, and red ball up when it is empty:

post-6867-071873600 1287799854_thumb.jpg

I have made a small passenger platform to serve the "Downtown" area as well. I made it from Plasticard and some brick sheet:

post-6867-054190200 1287799956_thumb.jpg

I have also started to paint my backdrop. I prefer to paint it myself just to make it suit the foreground and also to not put as heavy demand on the foreground as a photo mural would do.

I painted it with ordinary acrylics on artboard:

post-6867-072229900 1287800046_thumb.jpg

post-6867-028132400 1287800141_thumb.jpg

The hard part on this section is to make the road disappear into the background without ruining the illusion.

That is why I made it at an angle:

post-6867-005023300 1287800271_thumb.jpg

I think it works okay. Now I only have 300 cm left to do ;).

I have almost got the terrain work done on the left part of the layout as well:

post-6867-079197400 1287800394_thumb.jpg

I need to start the detailing here now. I think that is the real challenge, but really enjoyable as well.

post-6867-071505400 1287800512_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I now feel that the overall state of completion is almost as I had expected it to be 6 months ago. :D

Now it is major improvements almost on a day by day schedule (October 31 is coming near...). I will now finish the streets with all details and then on with the general littering and detailing. ;)

post-6867-066394400 1287847194_thumb.jpg

I have also started the real operations now, I got some nice programs from "Shortliner-Jack", that is awesome to use for switching on this kind of layout.

I have also decided wich locomotives I will use on this layout; after testing all the different locos in my possesion, I settled for the BLI SW-7, the Atlas RS1 and the Spectrum 0-6-0t switcher. Some temporary appearances from a 4-6-0 is unavoidable :rolleyes:.

I love this stage of the layout; not really completed, but enough to show it and operate on it.

I can probably spend at least 5 years (at least) completing just the buildings on it.

And then to administrate the switchlists in some type of orderly fashion.....

Thanks, I´ve been experimenting with the nightshots. It´s real fun to do.

I have been building some more as well; some lights for the Kirk´s sign:

DSC01024.JPG

I made the lights using 2 mm incandescent lights and the shades is made from 0.5 mm plasticard that I glued into a coneshape.

I use transformer wire for conduits as it is almost scale thickness on it.

I think it looks okay, I also lighted the interior of the shop as well.

I have repainted my Bachmann 4-6-0, I only saved the number on the cab....

This was a test to see how different grades of gloss would work as a complement to regular weathering.

I also had a chance to apply the new custom decals I got through Jack.

DSC01028.JPG

DSC01030.JPG

I´m quite happy with the overall result, and the decals with the Logo went on like a charm!

What do you think about it? Anything that is in need of retouching?

Archived