Histon Station Signals

Windjabbers

Hi, I am looking at modelling a couple of signal for a local group project of Histon Railway Station. (On the line between Cambridge and St Ives).

The two signals can be seen in the photo on the following, very good, website

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/histon/ Pictures 4,5 and 6 as you scroll down

and this one: -

http://www.eastanglianrailwayarchive.co.uk/Railways/East-Anglian-Railway-Archive/i-qGwnBSD

The two signals in question are the up starter and the down home.  These are the questions that I need help with.

1. Both signals are clearly not the original GER lower quadrant version. Does anyone have any information about when these versions were installed? I believe it may be post WW2 from looking at other pictures but can’t be sure.
  2. As they are not the original GER signals, what are they, LNER or BR?
  3. What type of post is it, it doesn’t look like LNER lattices version, is it a rounded tube style, which makes me think it’s a BR signal>
  4. The up starter is a very tall signal, is there a way of working out just how tall it is rather than guessing? It looks twice as tall as a standard signal, but was it built to a set height/
  5. Does anyone know of any more photo’s which show these two signals?

Thanks for advice and comments.

Best Wishes

David

I've just seen your posting on the GER site, and followed your links there. Assuming the same links are here, to me the 1st picture (w/b, looking over the LC to the station) shows a tall tubular post, with a ladder in front of it. This gives the illusion of a lattice post, note the platform off the ladder at the lower signal arm. The arms look BR standard.

I thought I had some photos relevant, but it seems the signal was removed by then, probably after the passenger service had been withdrawn.

Stewart