LSWR Refrigerated Van pink

MarcD

I have been asked to build some LSWR Refrigerated vans and I'm struggling to to find the correct paint. I have the HMRS book with the colour chart that shows either a buff colour or a light pink. Precision don't anything can anyone suggest where to get the paint.

Marc  

I strongly suspect that this colour had the same basis as LSWR carriage salmon, although less or none of the Venetian red and middle chrome yellow pigments may have been incorporated (which would make it largely white lead with a small amount of burnt sienna). The coach colour would have been made much richer by being well varnished.

I would start with Precision Paints P411 and let it down with white until you and your customer are happy with the result. The vans would have darkened in use as the significant white lead content of the paint reacted chemically with the traces of hydrogen sulphide present in the atmosphere.

The colour was probably not too far away from the light stone building colour as used by the SR as that sometimes had a distinct pinkish tone to it (not imparted to it by brake-block dust).

Hi Marc,

I researched this myself a couple of years ago and I managed to find the RAL number which I then translated to a Vallejo paint match of Iraqi Sand - 819-124. I am struggling now to find the RAL number again....

Desert pink I should have thought of that. I think I was looking at the wrong source of paints. Military modelling might be the answer.

Thanks for the tip. I will have a look.

Marc 

LSWR salmon is one of those colours that no one will agree on. I have seen in from brown all the way through to cream. I personally like it as a creamy pink. But then I have only seen it in preservation.

Looking at the ingredients, creamy pink, given a richness by the varnish, is probably as good a description of the colour when newly applied is probably as good as you can get verbally. Initially the colours would have been protected by the varnish but, as that wore, hydrogen sulphide in the atmosphere would have started to interact with the white lead and the colour would have darkened noticeably. That is probably the origin of reports of brown. It is exactly the same chemical reaction that caused white roofs to go a dark grey/brown colour - although they wouldn't have had the partial protection given by the varnish.