Parcel Service

GeoffinOz

Well, one down, next one is a fun item.

I thought I might link this to my other project, I am making a Santa's Workshop layout in On18.

Just a loop with two passing points, one in the open and one hidden, so it looks like a train takes parcels into a building complex and comes out empty.

This could be what it looks like inside one of the buildings.

post-33077-0-54330200-1518685845_thumb.jpg

Have to make the containers to carry the pressies

post-33077-0-23995000-1518686344_thumb.jpg

First time using foam board and a little engine kit.

Should be fun!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A small amount of progress. boxes made, they will have tarps over them for protection from the snow.

I will have to build a gantry to unload the boxes.

post-33077-0-41491800-1519684904_thumb.jpg

Then I think the road gang will have to come in to relay the butchered track

post-33077-0-87823100-1519684941_thumb.jpg

Might have Santa and the elves on a raised platform instead of inset track.

Edited by GeoffinOz
  • Like 2

Well, start again.

I forgot that On18 is O Gauge on N Gauge track. I am used to close tracks, so layed them for my normal spacing and the engine will not fit on the track, too close to the platform. 

So. One track now, will be ballasted with fine rock instead of inset.

post-33077-0-02467400-1520068548_thumb.jpg

Boxes finished, add tarps and banding

post-33077-0-26311300-1520068730_thumb.jpg

Another view.      SWS = Santa's Workshop Service

post-33077-0-58219200-1520068792_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good so far, the motive power is certainly something a bit different, would I also be correct to assume that you're going to use imitation snow on the model, perhaps inspired by the current weather situation in the UK?!?!

Had not thought of snow on this as it is the inside of a building. but could have a door open and snow blowing in. We don't have snow where I live(Western Victoria, Australia), but we do have snow in the Mountains in June, July and August. But they are six hours drive away.

Oh, of course, I should have thought of those two factors ie its the actual interior of a building being modelled, also that the weather in Australia is somewhat different what we have over here in the UK, but what a bit of an unusual time to have snow! But as you suggested, maybe some snow actually being blown in through an open door may add to the diorama's realism, in fact just the other day when the weather was rather bad over here, ie snowing and blowing a gale into the bargain, I actually had snow coming through a small gap between my garage doors, and it had actually formed a thin layer on a cardboard box near the doors. However, I soon rectified the problem by taping a plastic bin sack over the gap, seems to have done the trick, thankfully now the bad weather is supposed to ease off gradually over the next few days, and hopefully as far as the snow is concerned, that's our lot here in the UK for this year at least! 

Walls are up and the track ballasted. found a really good time zone map to go on the wall. Have scratch built an unloading crane as the poster stopped me erecting a gantry fixed to wall

post-33077-0-10195300-1520757984_thumb.jpg

post-33077-0-96893000-1520758049_thumb.jpg

What to put in the fore ground now that the gantry legs are not required? probably empty boxes 

I can now have snow settling in through the track door. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Could the reindeer have a working LED nose? Or am I being a bit too silly? Perhaps you could have another one with a green nose as well and use them together as a signal...

Looking good. I like the detailed planking on the walls and the crane is a good idea.

Thanks 009. the planking on the walls is a scalescenes clapboard printed at 175% to make them bigger, also I think one of my colours is running out as it is a different colour to the standard print. I am now looking at how to do snow on the outside and blowing in through he rail entrance.  I am looking for reindeers, may have harnesses on with the lights idea,  I will be having a go at making one of the wagons longer to carry two boxes.

My Daughter came up last week and took some pictures for me, she cropped and edited so here are the results and update on progress

post-33077-0-89136400-1522142196_thumb.jpg

Extended wagon to carry two boxes.

Cruel close up of Yard crane

will have to turn this around to get the light of the side wall

post-33077-0-25577700-1522142321_thumb.jpg

post-33077-0-93542100-1522141881_thumb.jpg

post-33077-0-52837300-1522141913_thumb.jpg

Still got to fill in behind the fence wall, probably straw and an animal.

Then finish the little engine, painted in Santa's Colours

• Like 3

Guest ShildonShunter

Geoff your cakebox challenge is looking really great like the little touches such as the map of the world its great to see the Santa's helpers busy this time of year. Looking forward to seeing more.:)

• Like 1

My Daughter came up last week and took some pictures for me, she cropped and edited so here are the results and update on progress

attachicon.gifIMG_4119A.jpg

Extended wagon to carry two boxes.

Cruel close up of Yard crane

will have to turn this around to get the light of the side wall

attachicon.gifIMG_4120A.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4122.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4123.JPG

Still got to fill in behind the fence wall, probably straw and an animal.

Then finish the little engine, painted in Santa's Colours

I think that this is superb, but I do have one little concern. Unless it is remotely controlled by one of the elves handling the load, no one seems to be in charge of the crane.

No jokes about elf and safety, please!

• 2 weeks later...

I think that this is superb, but I do have one little concern. Unless it is remotely controlled by one of the elves handling the load, no one seems to be in charge of the crane.

No jokes about elf and safety, please!

Took a while but have thought of an answer.  The Elf at the back turned the handle, the other two then had to push the box around under directions, when lined up the first Elf will come around and reverse wind the handle to lower the box.  no robotics here, all self Elp.

OO9 and AC.  I can't find any Reindeer the right size yet, still looking, but will paint noses when I have them

Took a while but have thought of an answer.  The Elf at the back turned the handle, the other two then had to push the box around under directions, when lined up the first Elf will come around and reverse wind the handle to lower the box.  no robotics here, all self Elp.

OO9 and AC.  I can't find any Reindeer the right size yet, still looking, but will paint noses when I have them

Glad to hear that they now have a written SOP (Santa's operating procedure).  I'll sleep much better now....

Edited by Dickon