St. Michael Encyclopedia of Model Railways

RedGemAlchemist

I have this very old book, the St. Michael Encyclopedia of Model Railways (published in 1979 by well-known British publisher Octopus Books), that I have owned since purchasing it when my old school's library were selling damaged stock back when I still went there about 9 years ago and is still my go-to repository of modelling knowledge. But I have never seen a copy this book anywhere else. Therefore I'm just curious: does anyone else have this book?

post-33750-0-82057800-1518769876_thumb.png

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

• RMweb Premium

Oh its about if you look for it... My dad has a copy, as does a friend, but his is a hardback version, which is the only one I have seen....

I happen to have a railway telephone that appears in it (on the page about Lutton)....

Andy G

A good, popular, book when it came out, many modeller's used it in the early days as a guide book, but over the years a few ideas have changed. Second-hand copies were still selling well right up to the time I closed my book shop in 2005.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A good, popular, book when it came out, many modeller's used it in the early days as a guide book, but over the years a few ideas have changed. Second-hand copies were still selling well right up to the time I closed my book shop in 2005.

Yes, a pretty good book for modellers back in its day and well put together I thought.  I believe a copy might still lurk somewhere in the further reaches of my library.

• RMweb Gold

Two copies here - one hardcover, one softcover. I think I got given it over two successive Christmases around 1979-1980. I still look through it from time to time as it's a really good compendium of modelling and info, at least for its time. Some good pictures of famous layouts, as well, including Pendon, Heckmondwike, Buckingham and others. 

The picture of a King on the Pendon viaduct in the opening pages was a real inspiration to 15 year old me, making me realise that my Lima King didn't quite cut the mustard, especially with no brake gear. Adding (or trying to add) home-made plastic brake gear was one of the first proper modelling jobs I attempted. I also attempted making a scratch built fully panelled carriage using the David Jenkinson method as outlined in the book - I think I got about 30 minutes into it before realising my results weren't ever likely to live up to the Jenkinson standard, and the horrible soggy mass of plastic went in the bin.

• Like 2

I have this very old book, the St. Michael Encyclopedia of Model Railways (published in 1979 by well-known British publisher Octopus Books), that I have owned since purchasing it when my old school's library were selling damaged stock back when I still went there about 9 years ago and is still my go-to repository of modelling knowledge. But I have never seen a copy this book anywhere else. Therefore I'm just curious: does anyone else have this book?

attachicon.gifDSC_0013.png

I have a copy of the paperback edition published by Hamlyn in 1987 and that says the title was first published by Octopus Books in 1979. That may have been an exclusive deal with M&S but your edition also appears to be paperback edition so I don't know whether it was also distributed separately in hardback. It's amusing to see Zero 1 as the latest thing but It's still a useful book. I particularly liked the chapter on operation that among other things explains the working of block instruments very clearly. The list of 24 authors includes many well known names including Peter Denny, David Jenkinson, Vivien Thompson and Cyril Freezer.  

I'm sure I've seen it on second hand book stands at exhibitions fairly recently.

I too had a copy of that book, the paper back version I think.  As others have said a very good book.  Not sure what happened to my copy,  I think I may have given it to a  charity shop about 15 years ago now!!! 

Regards,  John

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have a hardback copy which I purchased new from M&S all those years ago. I also have another tome published by Hamlyn in 1976 for the same grand price of £6.95, bought from James Thin Booksellers in Edinburgh. I quite enjoy browsing through these old books, although dated, the historical detail is fascinating!

post-33019-0-99021500-1519839327_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Marly51

My aunt bought me a copy in 1979 and I still have it today.

Now I think about it, it was probably more influential on my  thoughts about small trains than I ever realised.

I will have to dig it out and enjoy once more the glories of Buckingham GC,  Sunset Valley Railroad and Altenbeken (?) et al

Fantastic book.

Having a photoshoot of the build of the K's Princess was probably more influential than all the similar articles in the magazines of the time put together. It proved to me that "I can do that" because it made it look easy.

I really must attempt the build of the GER E4 one day. :)

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I have this one too (Octopus Books, 3rd impression, 1982, p/b). Can't remember where I bought it, though not, I fancy, from M&S.

An excellent book for its time. Nowadays (and even back then) M&S aren't/ weren't associated with model railways, so I wonder how the book came to be.

M&S are of course responsible for the existence of what is now Hornby but was once Triang Railways...

• RMweb Gold

I remember opening it as a present at thinking oh no a marks and Spencer book this will terrible and I'm going to have to pretend I like it!

But once I looked at it it was fantastic.

Still got it ,when I see it it reminds me of sitting on my grans stairs eating fish cake sandwiches for my breakfast!

• Like 3

I have this one too (Octopus Books, 3rd impression, 1982, p/b). Can't remember where I bought it, though not, I fancy, from M&S.

An excellent book for its time. Nowadays (and even back then) M&S aren't/ weren't associated with model railways, so I wonder how the book came to be.

M&S are of course responsible for the existence of what is now Hornby but was once Triang Railways...

They used to always have a selection of hobby books. Probably more aimed at general things like cookery but also including things like trains, cars, etc.

They also had one called Steam by John Westwood.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780906320044/Steam-Great-Trains-Railways-Michael-0906320046/plp

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

They used to always have a selection of hobby books. Probably more aimed at general things like cookery but also including things like trains, cars, etc.

They also had one called Steam by John Westwood.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780906320044/Steam-Great-Trains-Railways-Michael-0906320046/plp

Jason

My copy was published by Octopus Books (jointly founded by Hamlyn and Terence Conran of Habitat fame) - I have other books on cookery, gardening and textile crafts, published by Octopus under the St Michael’s enprint and sold through M&S. All relatively good quality reference books.

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51

Ok. I stand corrected. 

Can't believe it's referred to as 'a very old book'.  1979 was only a couple of years ago wasn't it? :O

Seems like it anyway............................ :senile:

Considering 1979 was 14 years before I was born and I am 24 at the time of writing...

I thought this was an old book, but my copy was published in 1951! Found it when I was researching card building techniques...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Wow. Nice.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

Ok. I stand corrected. 

Considering 1979 was 14 years before I was born and I am 24 at the time of writing...

Wow. Nice.

I'll forgive you then :friends:

Wish I  was only 24........................................... :senile:

I know where there's a copy secondhand in a WA bookshop and I keep intending to go back and get it.

I'm pretty sure that it's a (somewhat abridged) version of a partwork that came as 20 odd thinnish magazines. I did have the partwork, bought secondhand at an event a Bishops Lydeard station c1980, but it disappeared during an unsettled period of my life, making it impossible to check. However some of the articles look very familiar and stuff like the page formatting and typefaces look identical to me.