3D Printed Crew for P Class & Andrew Barclay Locomotives

Hattons Dave

I really like the look of the figures and I applaud that you’re doing something different for us all.

However...

I’m pretty sure the SECR didn’t have hi-vis jackets :)

Edit: on closer inspection - maybe the NCB and SECR pictures have been transposed?

Edited by Edge

• RMweb Gold

I really like the look of the figures and I applaud that you’re doing something different for us all.

However...

I’m pretty sure the SECR didn’t have hi-vis jackets :)

Edit: on closer inspection - maybe the NCB and SECR pictures have been transposed?

Well spotted, you passed the test!

The images above should now correctly match the relevant crew.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

These look excellent. Good thinking.

I am trying to order for delivery with my P tanks and followed the link but am being asked for an addition £4 for PandP. If it's coming with the loco won't it be one postage charge for the whole order?

Thanks

Ian in Blackpool order ID 3921148  for the P class

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

These look excellent. Good thinking.

I am trying to order for delivery with my P tanks and followed the link but am being asked for an addition £4 for PandP. If it's coming with the loco won't it be one postage charge for the whole order?

Thanks

Ian in Blackpool order ID 3921148  for the P class

Hi Ian,

If you'd like to add the crew to your order with the locomotive then you can either email us (info@hattons.co.uk) or give our Helpdesk team a call (0151 733 3655) and they'll be more than happy to help you out.

Cheers,

Dave

Looking absolutely splendid, but if I can make a small suggestion. Unlike big locomotives, shunting engines spend a lot of time running backwards so that when adding crews I try to position one [ideally the driver] looking forwards in the accepted style and the other one looking backwards, rather than both of them looking forward as seen here.

• Like 3

Looking absolutely splendid, but if I can make a small suggestion. Unlike big locomotives, shunting engines spend a lot of time running backwards so that when adding crews I try to position one [ideally the driver] looking forwards in the accepted style and the other one looking backwards, rather than both of them looking forward as seen here.

An excellent point and one that Modelu can do easily as it is done with their other figures, you just have to ask ( or specify in your order). How about it Dave, can we have this option?

Cheers,

David

As I don't remember seeing all that many industrial pugs actually carrying a fireman one pack would actually do two Barclay locos in many cases.

In an awful lot of cases the second man was actually the shunter and spent as much time walking as riding the engine, and then often hanging from the footsteps rather than in the cab....

Just a thought

Les

• Like 2

1 - Not got a problem with the donkey jacket.

2 - If you have to paint the figures yourself, just leave off the orange (Hi-Vis) paint.

3 - The problem I do have is the hand in pocket pose. Surely a driver's hand would be hanging on to something, not in his pocket. I'd go for the 'flat cap' option.

This is a great innovation.

If I don't add crews to my P orders, it's because I'm not entirely convinced that the early set would typify crews of 1910 (it's a tall order to make the pair represent the whole 1909-1948 period, and I suspect they will be more suitable post WW1 - Hattons can only do so much), but that takes nothing away from the brilliance of the concept and the quality of the figures.

I do think this development is to be applauded.  It would be great to do this for each new locomotive.

A really good thing to have one.  Thumbs up for that.

• RMweb Premium

If this idea is to be expanded, then it would probably be a good idea to get a number of different people to be the crew. It looks to me that one person was used for both crew in each pair, and while facial features don't show up well in 4mm, the overall body shape and size does. Having some differences would be good.

Now, can we get a 4mm model of Terrier 662 Martello done, with Clive Groom and his daughter as driver and fireman, with me as well doing my experience day from 2009...? :D

• Like 3

:)  :)

If this idea is to be expanded, then it would probably be a good idea to get a number of different people to be the crew. It looks to me that one person was used for both crew in each pair, and while facial features don't show up well in 4mm, the overall body shape and size does. Having some differences would be good.

Now, can we get a 4mm model of Terrier 662 Martello done, with Clive Groom and his daughter as driver and fireman, with me as well doing my experience day from 2009...?

Which daughter? I believe that he has four. They are held up as examples to which I wish mine would aspire. Not much chance. :(

I shouldn’t complain. Not when birthdays and Christmas produce DVDs about the almost unmentionable subject. :)

• RMweb Premium

:)  :)

Which daughter? I believe that he has four. They are held up as examples to which I wish mine would aspire. Not much chance. :(

I'd have to dig into my photo archive to find the pics taken at the time. It's offline at the moment so not easily accessible.

I'd have to dig into my photo archive to find the pics taken at the time. It's offline at the moment so not easily accessible.

I’ll bet it was a delightful day, whichever daughter it was. A few years ago I picked up some cheap DVDs, expecting just shots of trains chuffing past. Instead, it contained lots about the man himself and his footplate experiences. A quite outstanding man and I daresay it would have been difficult to watch the line ahead rather than llsten to Clive and examine the firing technique extremely closely. :)

Given the speed with which technology advances in this field I wonder how long it will be before we can actually obtain the figures on the left rather than have to hand-paint the ones on the right.