3D Printed Crew for P Class & Andrew Barclay Locomotives

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

I know this is a double post but....coverage will hopefully attract a response....

Has anyone tried to fit the ModelU crew into the cab of their P class yet?

In the past with other locos and crews I have found a dab of pva on the soles of the shoes (or orthopaedic boots on some castings) followed by the use of tweezers and lots of swearing did the job.

I use pva so that any position errors can be corrected but you have to leave the model undisturbed to let the pva cure without the figures toppling. You could use superglue but I find that the crew feet often put glue on unwanted places during the tweezers and swearing phase.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

I bought several of the crews for use in other locos as well. They were stuck to a wooden paddle and painted as a group. There are a few rough spots I should touch up but in general they have come up well.

The first pair in older style garb have been glued into Bluebell. I removed the body then separated the footplate (undoing four screws allows this), then glued the driver into the body, with a spot of glue on his hand to stick to the regulator, and a dab on the other hand and lower side of his jacket to stick to the cab door, taking care to align the soles of his shoes with the base of the cab door.

I then glued the fireman to the cab floor, just clear of where the cab side/door would pass when reassembling the loco. A spot of glue on the driver's feet was added just before reassembly. The hardest bit was threading the cab door handrails back into their loops as the cab and boiler were lowered back onto the footplate. 

40553054464_235a5f879c_b.jpg
Hattons P Class Crew Fitted - 1 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

41266631031_46e258fcb2_b.jpg
Hattons P Class Crew Fitted - 2 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 1 month later...