Posted Image

The 2018 OO Wishlist is now live - please read the Guide pages here before voting.

Photo

The Dirranbandi & Toowoomba Light Railway

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 The Oily Rag

The Oily Rag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:24

Hi Bob,

Had to have the new base because the existing terrace has the compound fall in two directions, not a lot but enough for the shed builders to say too much. The corner bit though for the small shed is almost level which means I can easily level the bearers after its built with a crow bar under the dipping ends. The workshop however was another matter so we had to make the decision to have the new base. Bit of a b*m**r as it has eaten into my budget a bit. I may only be able to insulate the roof at this time rather than planning for the whole thing. Still there is a lot to go in close to the walls so plenty of still air which is a pretty good insulator.

Moving forward on the infrastructure stuff for the railway, I had some fun last night calculating the volumes of each of the parts in "my building system".  Cement and me don't rub along too well with each other so considering casting in resin. It doesn't come out so bad and even in the larger scale is still pretty competitive with commercially available products in 16MM. I have had a scheme for slating the roofs (including running up samples) in plastic sheet for a while now but I would like to think of some way of fancy tiling. Perhaps casting my own in resin as miniatures of the real thing springs to mind. Musing on the subject, I have only to make just one, make a mould then run a load off, fettle them and make a mould for many. I know I can get more than a couple of hundred components out of a mould in resin.

My buildings would then be lighter to handle as they are quite big in 7/8ths and durable in polyurethane.

Whoever said retirement was boring? :no:

regards

Ian

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1

#52 The Oily Rag

The Oily Rag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:29

Well I am back in the saddle again as they say. Back from a few days holiday on the Norfolk Broads and the new workshop build is on Tuesday the 9th. Came back to a bit of a problem though. The Part P Nazi police round here are getting their job's worths hats on and getting at everyone who has power in their sheds. So I have to submit the "plan" for the electrics for approval for the princely some of £300 for the privilege of some numpty who does not even know O-level basic physics to say yay or nay. IEEE488 is a nonsense as we found out when we had a new house some years ago, the contractors form the district suppliers did such a bad job our house nearly burnt down and then we are told by the senior management that they only run a two wire system now, i.e. they bond all the house earths to the incoming mains neutral. So much for safety. Anyway what they want doing is going to cost several thousand pounds to put a simple lighting circuit and a 4 socket outlet ring main into the shed because its nearly 30metres from the house. Trenches minimum 30 inches deep (750mm), buried yellow warning tape, no exporting of the "PME" earth from the house and so on. Yet these clowns admit that I can use the existing external supply sockets which were part of the rewire of 4 years ago, certificated and approved with a thumping big extension lead with four outlets and there is not a damn thing they can do about it. But I cannot (I can but not allowed to by some upstart whose sole aim in life is to insult mine and others intelligence) do a proper job myself.

Their loss, 58quid at the local trade outlet and I will have a reeled extension with four outlets, thermal trip and RCD with power source light all built in. Giving me 3500 watts maximum loading off the existing external 13amp outlet ring. With LED lighting and the maximum machine motor of 600watts there is ample left over for a bit of heating. Mind you for the costs involved I could go catalytic gas again as I keep all my machines under oil coatings anyway as a matter of course so a bit of extra condensation is not going to be too much of a chore to keep away. I can only use one machine at a time.

Looking forward to getting the build underway now, in truth champing at the bit.

regards

Ian

Ian

• Friendly/Supportive x 2
  • Agree x 1

#53 The Oily Rag

The Oily Rag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:42

Following the poor conduct of a number of members of this site elsewhere and a number of completely unfounded allegations, it is unlikely that there will be any further updates to this thread. It will be noted that pretty much all of the attachments have gone from my posts.

Thank you to all the genuine garden railway people who have shown interest and supported me during recent very dark times. My railway progresses and another milestone achieved this week. However I am no longer prepared to be bothered to share my skills and experiences. The time is better spent "at the drawing board" or in the workshop.

I wish you all well in the future.

Best Regards

Ian

• Friendly/Supportive x 1

#54 Owd Bob

Owd Bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationLeigh, Lancs'

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:12

Such a shame that the idiots have won again, i knew Ian from another forum which we both had to leave at the same time because of the actions and words of these so called moronic model railway fans.....at the end of the day it's just an hobby and why such idiots have to stoop so low is personally beyond any logical thinking. I wish you well Ian, i know for a fact that you will finish the Garden railway and will continue to enjoy yourself. I'm not that  far behind you after reading your post this morning, i do wonder myself if posting, sharing and trying to help folks on any forum anymore is really worth it all?   :mad:

#55 77philg

77philg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAdlington lancashire

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:20

So sorry to hear this , But my attitude is to ignore the idiots that need to do this and carry on. the genuine ones will always encourage. And I always think it is worth it .Making the odd friend on here is aq good thing in my humble opinion  phil

Edited by 77philg, 11 October 2018 - 12:23 .