Class 37 push-pull operations

amaninspired

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in thinking that those two Sundays in 1981 when BR ran an Edinburgh - Oban return with a deltic, used an EG Mk3 rake - as hauled stock ? 

EDIT

Yes http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/55021_west_highlands_23.8.81_npc_2.jpg

IIRC, it was to do with the Mk3 set having PA equipment fitted for a running commentary and no other suitable ETS fitted loco with a low enough axle loading.

Cheers,

Mick

I am trying to recall my lineside days as a youngster.  I believe some long-term testing of push-pull  used a 37 and  some SR rolling stock, possibly an EMU, and the tests took place on the ECML,  the train would sometimes be seen stabled at Garden Sidings Doncaster. The years would be late 1960's and there may be a connection of the trials  to the Bournemouth  electrification project.

An apology in advance  if my recollection is inaccurate.

Edited by Pandora

I am trying to recall my lineside days as a youngster.  I believe some long-term testing of push-pull  used a 37 and  some SR rolling stock, possibly an EMU, and the tests took place on the ECML,  the train would sometimes be seen stabled at Garden Sidings Doncaster. The years would be late 1960's and there may be a connection of the trials  to the Bournemouth  electrification project.

An apology in advance  if my recollection is inaccurate.

I think the tests from Doncaster used the same converted Mk1 BSK driving trailer as the later Scottish tests

• Like 1

The early tests referred to had D6700 as the locomotive.It was transferred to Haymarket for a week or two.

In the early days the control system interfered with the coach lights so they were known as discos!

The "disco" reference comes from the early days of the 47/7s because the FDM signals carried on the coach lighting circuits caused the coach lights to flicker.

Edited by DY444