New layout plan

sb67

post-24-0-76987600-1519107345.jpg

I've been trying to come up with a plan for a new layout and I wondered what people thought of this idea? It's 6ft x 1ft and the left hand would be a sector plate fiddle yard. I'm not sure what it would be yet. I'm thinking it's quite versatile and could be a station and yard, wagon repair or just a goods yard. 

I'm sure the plan isn't unique and I was wondering what sort of consideration I have to give regarding the size of the fiddle yard?

The reason I'm asking is most of the layouts I haven't really considered the operation much and I'd like to get that bit right.

Thanks.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Your layout being on the small side for oo might not be suitable for a station terminus, unless your planning to just have dmu running.

You have to remember that your length of coach’s can be 24 nch’s long on their own. So the fiddle yard you have would only allow 1 coach and engine.

If your limited for space you could look at modelling a bit of a shutting puzzle instead.

You can download some coach sizes for your track planning software which are foc.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark, should have mentioned it would only be a branch terminus with a DMU or an autocoach. I've used anyrail but I'm not so great with it. How do you download the coach sizes you mentioned?

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark, should have mentioned it would only be a branch terminus with a DMU or an autocoach. I've used anyrail but I'm not so great with it. How do you download the coach sizes you mentioned?

Steve.

I don't know where that size came from.  My 00 101/108 are 19" over couplings and a 121 (Bubble car single unit) 10.5".  Mk1 coaches are also around 10.5" over couplings.  If you need more just ask - somebody will know.

Have you looked at http://www.carendt.com/ for some small layout ideas - the earlier years are better than the recent stuff.

• Like 1

Hi Steve

Now it makes sense on what you have explained. I would look at slightly increasing your selector plate so it gives more versatility ie double shunting etc.

I am assuming your using the free version which is pretty good only limited to 50 objects and you can get around using building or platforms with the shape drawing tool as it doesn’t impact on your object quota.

To get the coaches I downloaded them using the users library and searching for new / updates.

I also deselect all other gauges in the options menu which I wouldn’t use as this keeps your tool bar full of track / objects you will use.

Also there are some good manuals you can download / tutorials on the internet but this will help with learning for now. Just remember that some features will be disabled in the trial software.

https://www.anyrail.com/downloads/Published/PDF/AnyRail6EN.pdf

Hope it helps

Cheers

Mark

The principles of your layout are very similar to Llanastr, a fairly well known 18.83 layout, which has its own website http://www.llanastr.webs.com which explains much of the philosophy and thinking behind                      

​I was aware of Llanastr but got to admit I wasn't thinking of it when I did the plan. I've never seen that site, only seen a few photos online so thanks for posting that Nick I'll have a read through later.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

post-24-0-76957600-1520249693.jpg

Still looking at new layout ideas and I've been playing around with some plans. I was wondering how this would be as a diesel stabling/fuel point? The right hand would be a sector plate fiddle yard and there would be a fuel pump in between one of the loops. The idea being locos arrive and refuel then go off scene or stable in the sidings. I thought I could also store wagons in the sidings to add a bit of interest.

I was hoping to get some sort of resemblance to prototypical design or operation.

Thanks.

Steve.

post-24-0-25529000-1520249707_thumb.jpg

This one has one less loop but with a couple more sidings

post-24-0-24834200-1520249716.jpg

This one has got the sector plate at the left hand end (no reason) and no loop. I though I could use a Bachmann single track engine shed on one of the tracks at the front acting as a view block to the fiddle yard exit. I'd use the two upper sidings for stabling and the engine shed for fuelling/servicing.