4-SF when to switch between 2 rail track gauge and 3 point ones

MikeH_83

Hi all,

I am currently making my track to 4-SF (00-SF) and I am wondering at what radius curves I should change from using the normal 2 rail track gauges to the 3 point ones?  Also if I remember correctly with the 3 point gauges you haveto use the 2 side part on the inside of a curve?

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

You can really use 3-point gauges with any track, from dead straight to, well, as tight as you need/want. The key is that the amount of gauge widening is roughly proportional to the tightness of the curvature. This presumes the gauge uses the standard size design with the distance between the two legs being twice the track gauge. As has just been posted, the two legs go on the outside rail, otherwise the opposite effect of gauge narrowing occurs.

regards

Izzy

Hi all,

I am currently making my track to 4-SF (00-SF) and I am wondering at what radius curves I should change from using the normal 2 rail track gauges to the 3 point ones?  Also if I remember correctly with the 3 point gauges you haveto use the 2 side part on the inside of a curve?

Cheers

IN general with 00-SF plain track , you don need any gauge widening down to 3' radius curves , below that and you will need to increase the gauge 

IN general with 00-SF plain track , you don need any gauge widening down to 3' radius curves , below that and you will need to increase the gauge 

Ah that's not so bad then at 3' is the minimum I have my layout set at.  Most curves are above that at almost 6'  Cheers