Help with modern era signalling

Hello, 

I was wondering if anyone could help. I'm putting together a micro layout, which I have plans to extend to twice the length in the future. The track plan is attached (a very rushed version using MS Paint), and whilst I'm only concentration on the left half at the moment, I'd be happy to have the following question answered for the whole track plan. 

Where would I need to place signals, and what kind would the need to be, to keep the operations of the layout prototypical? I'm modelling modern era (Well 1990s - sadly it's not that modern anymore). 

Many thanks, 

Rich

Edited by richscylla

• RMweb Gold

The two signals at the end of the platform are fine - make them 3 aspect.

The other two aren't needed.

Put one at the exit from the sidings - 3-aspect. Under the bridge with a subsidiary for the headshunt.

Put one on the right hand end for going away, it could be a 2 or 3 aspect.

Put one of the right for arriving, it would have a theatre (showing 1 or 2 for the platforms) and a subsidiary (a shunt) for the sidings.

Ground signals.

One for leaving the headshunt.

one at the right hand end reading back - so just beyond the right most crossover.

Redraw your plan with these changes and we can comment further.

I think that the only signals that you actually need on the left-hand board are the two "platform starters", although they might be positioned a little way out from the platforms so that they would still work with an over length train.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay - I had to actually re-do the whole plan as I needed to shorten the layout by 2 foot, into a proper little micro layout. 

I have now got an even simpler track plan - so this should be easier to signal. I hope. For realism, it should be said that much like the original plan, the two sidings would eventually reach the single track leaving the platforms to form a double track working away from the station. Is the signalling below correct? 

f5ac1.png

In addition - where would I need to place things like cable trunking, relay boxes etc need to be placed on such a line? I'm looking to get it as prototypical as possible, and whilst I have photos of track in many locations, nothing in my area is quite like this for me to copy. 

Any help would be greatly received. 

Thanks

Rich

Sorry to bump this - but any feedback would be great. I'm looking to buy the signals fairly soon. Essentially, my three questions are:

1) Are the end of platform signals correct?
2) Do I need any ground signals in the sidings?

3) Anything else I'm missing?