ScR Diesel Sound Recordings (Arania) from 1977

Bob Reid

Does anyone have a copy of this cassette or know what happened to or where I could find the later converted to digital sound recordings?  They were once available via a link on YouTube but link is now dead (it was 9 years ago it was posted).  These were great recordings and very evocative of the Region in the late 70s. This is a link to the You Tube page - I'm sure the artwork will bring back a few memories.... Many thanks.
https://youtu.be/Lc96SNwcmcE

• Like 1

I have a CD produced by Stavely Makepiece Associates entitled 'Diesels in The Highlands' which I bought last year. Mostly 26s with a 40, 47 and a Swindon DMU(!) thrown in for good measure. It won't be the same going by the cover you have posted. There was also cassettes produced by Alan Vitty many years ago which featured all the Sulzers at work - a lot on the West Highland as Alan used to base himself in Crianlarich during his holidays.

I have a CD produced by Stavely Makepiece Associates entitled 'Diesels in The Highlands' which I bought last year. Mostly 26s with a 40, 47 and a Swindon DMU(!) thrown in for good measure. It won't be the same going by the cover you have posted. There was also cassettes produced by Alan Vitty many years ago which featured all the Sulzers at work - a lot on the West Highland as Alan used to base himself in Crianlarich during his holidays.

I have an Alan Vitty tape 'West Highland Thirty Sevens'. Just no way to convert it.....

Many thanks - what I was looking for from it was a bit more specific - that particular cassette was about the only recording I've heard of the 27's working the Edinburgh-Glasgow Push Pull's - there were a couple of tracks but the one I remember quite vividly - recorded at Falkirk High, the driver did what most seemed to do on them which was to get the set rolling and almost immediately wind it right up.  With 2500hp all in and only six coaches by the time the rear loco got to you it was fair howling.  Once they came off the E&G's to more mudane duties, they were never looked after as well as they had been and didn't sound the same.  I grant you nostalgia's playing a big part in this, but it's for a pet sound project!

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 2

the driver did what most seemed to do on them which was to get the set rolling and almost immediately wind it right up.  

Just an aside, but that is how I remember the Dundee - Edinburgh workings, usually a 27 with 4 Mk1's. The driver would get the train started and then open up fully. Fine with what normally worked those turns, but on one trip, I came home from Edinburgh behind a Deltic, subbing for something that had failed. The driver tried the same approach but stalled it on more than one occasion. Despite that, I still had the bragging rights for a bit!

John

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have an Alan Vitty tape 'West Highland Thirty Sevens'. Just no way to convert it.....

For background music/noise in my modelling room, I have been searching around to see if I can get my hands on one or more of the 1970's/early 80's Alan Vitty productions. Apart from those owned by individuals such as Corrour, I have not found anything; does anyone know of where I might find someone who sells these? 

• RMweb Premium

just noticed this, sorry.

I bought a Clarity USB tape player years ago from Argos and entirely coincidentally, used it for the first time tonight!

Basically a 'walkman'- type tape player that plugs into your computer and converts the files into .WAV or .mp3 files.

You may need to download software to record/edit the files, the one recommended with mine was Audacity: https://www.audacityteam.org/

The current Argos catalogue has a different item available, but basically the same thing: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5762037

(This may include its own software)

Edited by keefer