Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

FPH 603's Drawing Board!

FPH 603

Hi all,

I made this thread to put my millions of proposals in somewhere other than my current workbench thread. All proposals will be listed in this post with their post and page numbers. This will be updated frequently.

LIST:

Diesel Inspection Saloon - Post #2 - Page 1

SKBR Class B (LNER J42) - Post #5 - Page 1

SKBR Class A (LNER L4) - Post #7 - Page 1

Edited by FPH 603

Proposed but never built DMUs in 1959 :

Diesel Inspection Saloon

DSCF4461a.jpg

Stourton Saloon?

DSCF4462a.jpg

General Manager's Inspection Coach

DSCF4463a.jpg

Could be a good little conversion project for someone.

Details for the diesel inspection saloon and a couple of other proposals not built.

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

They could be very good little conversion projects for someone.

Whether they get built - especially any time soon - is another matter (and probably depends on the availability of cheap secondhand Lima or Hornby DMUs).

I wonder how long it'll be before this site acquires an "imaginary railcars / multiple units" zone … .

Huw.

• Like 1

They could be very good little conversion projects for someone.

Whether they get built - especially any time soon - is another matter (and probably depends on the availability of cheap secondhand Lima or Hornby DMUs).

I wonder how long it'll be before this site acquires an "imaginary railcars / multiple units" zone … .

Huw.

There is an 'Fictional Units' tread in the modelling musings and miscellany area...

• Like 2

I may be a DMU fanatic but I also have a soft spot for LNER steam, so I came up with something a little different:

post-32712-0-54476100-1519527420_thumb.png

I came up with the idea of making this from a GBL SECR C Class. The only major differences are the cab and tender body, along with minor detail changes. The SKBR (South Kingsborough Railway) Class B was built for mixed traffic in 1902, only totalling to three locomotives due to the railway's small size. All three survived up to nationalisation, each being picked off at various times, the last one being removed from service in 1957 over a decade before the Kingsborough line's closure by Dr Beeching.

I don't know if there even was a J89 or if any of this makes sense, but I thought this may become an interesting project if it goes ahead!

EDIT: I'm no rivet counter, but I made a few minor detail changes. Numbering correction also made.

Edited by FPH 603
  • Like 1

This time I came up with a tank locomotive:

post-32712-0-32746200-1519871652_thumb.jpg

The Class A 2-6-4 was built in 1890 as the first locomotive class for the SKBR at the time of the line's opening. Reclassified L2 in 1923, but shortly after was reclassified to L3 in 1925. Once again in 1945 it was reclassified to L4. 2 were built initially however another 5 were after grouping.

Edited by FPH 603
  • Like 1

Time for something else different:

Inspired by the work of RedGemAlchemist (see link at bottom of post), I've decided I should further refine my layout's backstory and also plan ahead the rest of the branch line. Here goes nothing!

The South Kingsborough Railway (SKBR) built it's line in the late 1880's connecting from what was to become the ECML to the then very rural and quiet town of Kingsborough. The line officially opened in 1890, and has four stations, but despite this the line was pretty short. Included in the construction of the line was a workshop, which developed over many years creating most of the stock used on the line. Upon grouping in 1923, the line was invested by the new neighbors known as the LNER. However the SKBR refused to give up the workshops and became the South Kingsborough Carriage and Locomotive Company. They then continued to build locomotives and carriages, as well as performing many experiments along the way. Some products were purely new designs, whilst others were made from recycled spare parts and surplus accident damaged ex-LNER stock. Upon nationalisation not much changed since grouping, however less than 2 decades later Dr Beeching axed the Kingsborough line and subsequently the line was left derelict as well as the workshops in 1969. Even after closure the former SKBR workshops were planning to reclaim the line and run as a private railway once more, however the line was reopened by Barbara Castle in 1971 and operations restarted immediately. Upon sectorisation the line was taken over by Regional Railways and forced the withdrawal of existing stock and replaced them with their own. The SK C&L co. refused to maintain these new trains and subsequently RR did not operate services, with the former SKBR having control once more. Upon privatisation the line became a heritage railway, operating ex-SKBR and BR inherited stock side by side, and continues going strong today.

This is still a work in progress.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131125-reds-fumbling-bench-of-failure/?p=3069763

EDIT: I hope soon to start planning those other 3 stations (potentially even the SKBR's workshop too!) soon too, so I'll post a diagram soon of what may become 'South Kingsborough'.

• Like 1

Time for something else different:

Inspired by the work of RedGemAlchemist (see link at bottom of post), I've decided I should further refine my layout's backstory and also plan ahead the rest of the branch line. Here goes nothing!

The South Kingsborough Railway (SKBR) built it's line in the late 1880's connecting from what was to become the ECML to the then very rural and quiet town of Kingsborough. The line officially opened in 1890, and has four stations, but despite this the line was pretty short. Included in the construction of the line was a workshop, which developed over many years creating most of the stock used on the line. Upon grouping in 1923, the line was invested by the new neighbors known as the LNER. However the SKBR refused to give up the workshops and became the South Kingsborough Carriage and Locomotive Company. They then continued to build locomotives and carriages, as well as performing many experiments along the way. Some products were purely new designs, whilst others were made from recycled spare parts and surplus accident damaged ex-LNER stock. Upon nationalisation not much changed since grouping, however less than 2 decades later Dr Beeching axed the Kingsborough line and subsequently the line was left derelict as well as the workshops.

This is still a work in progress, as I'm not exactly sure if the line should reopen or whether it should become a preserved railway in the late 1970's. If the line was to reopen in the late 1970's I think it would have closed again upon privatisation then would have become a preserved railway.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131125-reds-fumbling-bench-of-failure/?p=3069763

EDIT: I hope soon to start planning those other 3 stations (potentially even the SKBR's workshop too!) soon too, so I'll post a diagram soon of what may become 'South Kingsborough'.

Oh wow. Thanks man. Really glad that I could be such an inspiration to you :)

After some extensive planning I've proposed to scratchbuild a Class 112 DMU. This will be in lined BR green with small yellow warning panels with the ER style marker lights rather than the LMR style destination box as originally fitted.

I've also done some work on the SKBR's history (see post #9).

For the next design I'm thinking of making a railmotor similar to the Silver City Comet.

It will be arranged as it follows:

Power Van - Composite Corridor - Second Open.

I'm not exactly sure how to style this particular train at the moment so I haven't posted a diagram yet.

Any suggestions?

• RMweb Premium

For the next design I'm thinking of making a railmotor similar to the Silver Comet

Power Van - Composite Corridor - Second Open.

I'm not exactly sure how to style this particular train at the moment so I haven't posted a diagram yet.

Any suggestions?

Sounds a bit like a Northern Ireland Railways 80 class. It would be interesting to see one in BR colours since they were built by BREL but never adopted for use on the mainland.

Edited by StevieD71

• RMweb Gold

This time I cam up with a tank locomotive:

attachicon.gifSKBR Class A (LNER L4).jpg

The Class A 2-6-4 was built in 1897 as the first locomotive class for the SKBR at the time of the line's opening. Reclassified L2 in 1923, but shortly after was reclassified to L3 in 1925. Once again in 1945 it was reclassified to L4. 2 were built initially however another 5 were after grouping.

That has a curiously Dutch/Danish look about it.

Details for the diesel inspection saloon and a couple of other proposals not built.

The two car class 114 conversion which ended up with EWS was similar in concept to this. The unit was converted from passenger use into a parcels sector unit with roller shutter doors. When parcels ceased it received a reasonably high quality conversion into a route learning unit. The driving trailer car received a sort of boardroom table with chairs around the perimeter and a large screen at one end. The windows had curtains which could be drawn to darken the interior. Each driving end had a video camera installed in the former destination blind box, which was "piped" into the "IT" system onboard, meaning that the camera feed from either end could be fed into the "conference room" projector so people could route learn in comfort !!!

The power car had a cubical buit in for a diesel gen set which powered the on board kitchen, and there was  a saloon for route learning conventionally..

Edited by Covkid

I like the new name. Much less of a mouthful than DoubleDeckInterurban.

Says the man who's username is based on an esoteric personal reference.

And it's a bit more relevant to my current interests too. I've been itching to make this particular train for over 6 months!

• Like 1