Diesel (Hydraulic) Days

Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

A very rough track plan for the project, although the actual mainline will be on a long sweeping curve rather than straight as it is in the plan. Having spent many happy hours researching the project the nearest prototype I have come up with is Par...

post-6992-0-73345500-1519332947_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 3

Hi Phil, Quite a jump from ''O'' to ''N'', I did it after building Trebudoc in ''O'' and my next project was Glenfinick in ''N'' and I found the jump to big, I look forward to seeing this mature.

Hi Andy, 

Nice to hear from you again, I really enjoyed the scenic modelling on Withercombe for the indoor section & N is ideal for "Trains though the landscape" IMO ;) Do you still model in both scales ? :)

• Like 1

Looks like a nice layout and a great choice of prototype. Are you planning to model Par (with some degree of modellers license) or is it just going to be a bit Par-ish?

Have you seen the excellent "Vale of Oxbury"? This is a similarly sized layout with a twin-track mainline and junction station with a single-track branch. Worth a look to see what can be achieved in that sort of space.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8511-vale-of-oxbury-br-western-region/

Edited by Karhedron

Hi Andy, 

Nice to hear from you again, I really enjoyed the scenic modelling on Withercombe for the indoor section & N is ideal for "Trains though the landscape" IMO ;) Do you still model in both scales ? :)

Yes Phil, Two scales, but back to OO for Kings Moreton, and O for Penybont Sidings, (links below).

Edited by Andrew P

I went from G to N which was quite a shock. I currently have 2 N gauge layouts plus a G scale garden railway. Love them both for different reasons.

Storing and carrying N gauge stock is so much easier.

Yes I have no problem with doing totally different scales at the same time either........besides if I stuck to O this layout would be a whopping 48 foot long & 12 foot wide :O  + fiddle yard lol  

Looks like a nice layout and a great choice of prototype. Are you planning to model Par (with some degree of modellers license) or is it just going to be a bit Par-ish?

Have you seen the excellent "Vale of Oxbury"? This is a similarly sized layout with a twin-track mainline and junction station with a single-track branch. Worth a look to see what can be achieved in that sort of space.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8511-vale-of-oxbury-br-western-region/

No, I think it will be a bit Par-ish rather than a model of Par :) .....Vale of Oxbury is superb, I had the pleasure of seeing it at last years BRM Doncater Show  :sungum:

• Like 1

The framework in the pic above  is all screwed & glued now as on huge 14 foot by 3 foot baseboard which will be split at a later date.......probably to 2 outer  5 foot boards with a center board of 4 foot. This seems like the best way to split it at the moment as this will hopefully avoid all the pointwork?

The next stage will be to add the track bed which will be 2 or 3 inches above the present framework so the railway can very much run through the landscape rather than on top of it! 

• Like 1

Got yer microscope, Phill..?? :mosking:

Only kidding mate. Looks like a nice project. My lad had some N Scale but at 15 has now totally lost interest; I started my US outline modelling in N, nearly 30 years ago now, but although I looked at his stuff (all British) long & hard, I decided it wasn't for me, so sold it.

I do envy how easy it is for N Scalers to sneak stuff past SWMBO, though. :jester:

• Like 1

Got yer microscope, Phill..?? :mosking:

Only kidding mate. Looks like a nice project. My lad had some N Scale but at 15 has now totally lost interest; I started my US outline modelling in N, nearly 30 years ago now, but although I looked at his stuff (all British) long & hard, I decided it wasn't for me, so sold it.

I do envy how easy it is for N Scalers to sneak stuff past SWMBO, though. :jester:

Me too Jordan, I had a couple of abortive attempts at OO as a lad, but  I swithced  to N with Farsh, Lima & Minitrix for my first proper attempts at modelling .

I had a GWR BLT in my bedroom as a boy based on Ashbuton, not very original I know, but I was about 14 at the time :scratchhead: ......I even kit bashed a Farish coach in to a Autocoach, but my scatchbuilt 14xx tank was less successful ?   :dontknow: l lol 

This project has been brewing for a long time now, I remember myself & Cynric drooling over the then new Dapol Hymek, the N gauge stuff is incredible now & light years ahead of the old Poole Graham Farish stuff  :O

Not much to show right now, but the skeletal framework for the project is now all screwed & glued together ready for the track bed...

post-6992-0-98181400-1519472061_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-23172200-1519472068_thumb.jpg

I have received a few more additions to the fleet from a really nice guy on ebay...

post-6992-0-02487700-1519472283.jpg

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 2

This project has been brewing for a long time now, I remember myself & Cynric drooling over the then new Dapol Hymek, the N gauge stuff is incredible now & light years ahead of the old Poole Graham Farish stuff  :O

Isn't it just?? I even treated myself to a Dapol 22 (D6320, what else? :D ) to run on my lad's N layout!! So yes, very tempting these days, although prices on a par with OO do make me feel better about O scale, these days!!

Hi Phill...

I saw your query about DCC chips for 2mm locos a few weeks ago and got to wondering what you were up to :-)

I've found your thread now and will follow with interest.

Are you intending to use off-loco sound as Chris M has done on Little Aller Junction?

Funnily enough, I have also started to collect some N gauge stuff to build a 'watching the trains go by' layout.

If I can offer an off-the-wall suggestion...

Take a look at my thread from the old RMweb:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59643-watching-the-model-trains-go-by-with-bincoculars/

You can focus right down to eighteen inches with them and my 2mm stuff looks like 7mm looking through the binos....ha ha ha!

I know that some modellers bought these after seeing my thread and have used them at exhibitions with good reactions.

Gordon Gravett liked them too, although he did look at me a bit oddly at first :-)

Randall

The next stage will be to add the track bed which will be 2 or 3 inches above the present framework so the railway can very much run through the landscape rather than on top of it!

So pleased to hear that. I’m always surprised at exhibitions that even today nearly all layouts are so obviously track laid on flat boards with scenery built around the track. This just looks so wrong to my eyes.

BTW Randall are you attending the Guild show at Kettering? :)

Hi Phill....

I've thought about Kettering, but it was a very l-o-n-g day last year and I've been ill since I retired in October, and I'm still very much under the weather, so it's unlikely.

Also, I haven't got any plans to buy anything 7mm for now as I've more or less got all the stuff I need.

My N gauge collection has started to grow though, and I've got a simple double track mainline (raised trackbeds of course) under construction.

Randall

So pleased to hear that. I’m always surprised at exhibitions that even today nearly all layouts are so obviously track laid on flat boards with scenery built around the track. This just looks so wrong to my eyes.

Couldn't agree more Chris, that's why I rejected the solid boards you can see underneath the new boards I'm building.. although th solid boards will be used for a future 7mm depot/small space layout :)

Hi Phill....

I've thought about Kettering, but it was a very l-o-n-g day last year and I've been ill since I retired in October, and I'm still very much under the weather, so it's unlikely.

Also, I haven't got any plans to buy anything 7mm for now as I've more or less got all the stuff I need.

My N gauge collection has started to grow though, and I've got a simple double track mainline (raised trackbeds of course) under construction.

Randall

I will be going for the day out...i don't really need anymore 7mm stuff either as I too have a stock like which will keep me busy for a good while.

I hope you are on the mend soon & I look forward to your postings in 7mm & 2mm :)