Interiors

Jack P

Hey there fellow Southern modellers,

I'm looking for some info on the interiors of (specifically) the LSWR Gate stock, in the post-war, pre-nationalization period, The Kernow Model has the interior 2 tone, with cream upper and crimson. I'm in the throes of repainting my set, and in removing the glazing, i've removed some of the paint, and I just want to know if I should be repainting the interior 2 tone again, or if it was fully cream at this point in its life.

While I'm at it, I thought i'd ask about the interiors of other PLV's,Van B/C's, and other Coaches etc, did they have cream interiors too around this period (1945-47), I was under the firm impression they did. However some photos from the SEMG website show the interior of the guards compartment of one of the coaches painted in a sort of lime green, Was this a later addition, something done in preservation or was it correct for that period?

I have a couple of books on the subject of coaches, but my copy of "An Illustrated History of Southern Pull-push Stock" hasn't arrived yet. Which I assume possibly contains the answer I seek. Hopefully this isn't too vague, and thanks to all that respond.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Van interiors were certainly "painted in a sort of lime green" throughout most of the Southern period - though a brown colour seems to have been used for some vehicles in the early 'Bulleid' period : maybe an LNER colour ? Track down pictures of Bluebell or I.o.W. railway coaches and you should see the "sort of lime green" interiors ........... there's a good picture of the - short-lived - brown in the 'The Big Four in Colour' : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Four-Colour-1935-50/dp/0906899621 .......... and lots of other goodies !

The passenger compartments were probably varnished wood - or scumbling to represent such !

• Like 1

Van interiors were certainly "painted in a sort of lime green" throughout most of the Southern period - though a brown colour seems to have been used for some vehicles in the early 'Bulleid' period : maybe an LNER colour ? Track down pictures of Bluebell or I.o.W. railway coaches and you should see the "sort of lime green" interiors ........... there's a good picture of the - short-lived - brown in the 'The Big Four in Colour' : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Four-Colour-1935-50/dp/0906899621 .......... and lots of other goodies !

The passenger compartments were probably varnished wood - or scumbling to represent such !

The "lime green" colour (it was actually more subdued than that) was specified as the colour for painting the insides of driving cabs on passenger stock (electrics and pull & push) and had been agreed with ASLEF and the NUR as a suitably restive non-distracting colour. Inevitably it got used for the interiors of guard's van as well although I don't believe that there was an formal agreement with the trades union in this case.

The interiors of passenger stock were varnished wood except that ceilings were white (and often embossed); the white quickly became nicotine stained even in labelled no smoking compartments.

• Like 1