St Michael's Hill - Modern image micro-layout. Suburban Station

After a long time working on electrics (and I still have a little bit more to do) - I got back to some of the scenic stuff today which has been great. I have been concentrating on the area alongside the longest platform. I'm pretty happy with it, I will see how it all dries overnight and then see about adding a little more detail over the weekend. 

2qb6kjb.jpg 
33tns7l.jpg

I also have hardwired this Lima Class 47 for DCC with a Hornby 8 pin decoder tonight - it was one of my better DC runners so I thought it was worth a shot. It seems to have been a success - it's been programmed and works on the layout. 

2qd8uo7.jpg

I also got my airbrush out for the first time at the weekend. I've started doing a little bit of weathering on some wagons to start with. I will post some before and after shots once I've completed the first one. I will also weather the track at some point soon!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been spending a lot of time working on locos and rolling stock (which I will post pictures of soon) but I have done a little more scenery. I have put up some fencing, made an overgrown area and have started to work on the road/parking area behind the station. I'm really pleased with how the shelters have come out too. 

15fglrr.jpg

1i6w2.jpg

• Like 3

Had some time this morning - so distressed and weathered a shipping container for the area behind the station. 

I took a mini sander to the whole thing to remove the decals from some of the raised sections, and then gave some of the corners and edges special attention as if they'd been damaged during loading. Then I hit it with some weathering powders to make it all look a bit darker, before going at it with a mix of matt cote, thinners and powders to get some rusting effects. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out! 

svngk8.jpg

• Like 2

Here is the container in place - with a little more detailing added. 

2057af6.jpg

29gobuu.jpg

As well as that, I've had my first proper go at weathering and detailing. I have re-sprayed, detailed and weathered some Hornby TTA wagons, and I think the effect is pretty good. I need to add the walkways and ladders back on, but for a fist try I'm pleased with the results. 

aaaz68.jpg

As well as this, I've taken an old Lima Class 47 and updated it a little. I have added some detailing (from a Bachmann 47) to the number 1 end, re-sprayed the white on the body (from the incorrect beige that was originally in place). I re-numbered and named her and added a light weathering too. Again, I'm pretty pleased with the results. 

x0tp8m.jpg

xkno0i.jpg

Edited by richscylla
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Great!

Where did you get the transfers for the repainted Hornby tankers?

Also what plastic card did you use for the second strip of plastic card on the platform? Part number description please.

Hi Muddy Water. 

The transfers for the tankers are: http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1046

And for the second strip of the platform... I'm not sure if you mean the second texture or the first texture and are including the edging strip. 

Both are here: 

https://slatersplastikard.com/assets/pdfs/EmbossedFlyer.pdf

0446 is the first chequer plate.

0431 is the other one. 

Hope that helps. 

Rich

Progress is a little slow at the moment, I'm waiting to get a proper amount of time to weather the track, but tonight I worked on a billboard that I'm quite happy with. It was a paper & card kit from Scale Scenics. It was my first time making a kit like this, and it needs a little tidying and touching up, but I'm generally pretty pleased with how it's gone together and how it looks on the layout. 

2j1q0dw.jpg

1z1en1y.jpg

My next job is to build some walls to start making the station a little more substantial. I'm also going to start detailing the road behind the station, with some road makings, more of a concrete texture and maybe a little pavement too. And of course the track weathering. 

• Like 2

I have started work on the station walls. I need to add some detailing and some other bits but I'm happy with this as a start. I took the picture before the glue dried so that's what the white is!

29n875k.jpg

Really hoping to get the track weathered on Sunday. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Managed to pick up this little beauty for the layout earlier in the week. Needs the detailing fitted and some light weathering, but already looks great! Will need to pick up a couple of GUVs and a couple of BGs in RES livery at some point too!

un15f.jpg

• Like 5

I spend last night working a little on the layout. Getting some more greenery around the yard, starting to take shape now. Will start adding some more detailing over the next few weeks or so, I'm looking to add a pavement next to the barrier's where the brown paint can be seen, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do that at this stage though. I'm also looking to make some sort of statue or monument to go into the station area. 

2mhzwon.jpg

2j7ehx.jpg

Edited by richscylla
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As well as this, I've taken an old Lima Class 47 and updated it a little. I have added some detailing (from a Bachmann 47) to the number 1 end, re-sprayed the white on the body (from the incorrect beige that was originally in place). I re-numbered and named her and added a light weathering too. Again, I'm pretty pleased with the results. 

x0tp8m.jpg

xkno0i.jpg

Some nice detailing there, especially the broken shelter and the container.  The 47 looks good, Lima models can be made to look reasonable with a bit of work.  Can I suggest a few extra mods?  Paint the buffer shanks red (though I suspect black, with black buffer beams, would be more appropriate), and silver for the bare metal parts.  The wipers would benefit from highlighting in black too, and if you have a fine enough brush running a little black along the yellow 'lip' on top of the buffer beam cowling will help disguise it (it shouldn't be there on this loco, and in any case shouldn't be yellow).  Finally touching in the tail light "lenses" with a very dark red or black to represent the tail lights when off  is a big improvement on the yellow blobs.  

Thanks for the advice - I'll certainly give it a go when I get a spare hour :)

Some nice detailing there, especially the broken shelter and the container.  The 47 looks good, Lima models can be made to look reasonable with a bit of work.  Can I suggest a few extra mods?  Paint the buffer shanks red (though I suspect black, with black buffer beams, would be more appropriate), and silver for the bare metal parts.  The wipers would benefit from highlighting in black too, and if you have a fine enough brush running a little black along the yellow 'lip' on top of the buffer beam cowling will help disguise it (it shouldn't be there on this loco, and in any case shouldn't be yellow).  Finally touching in the tail light "lenses" with a very dark red or black to represent the tail lights when off  is a big improvement on the yellow blobs.  

• 1 month later...

As with many of you I'm sure - I've spent the summer taking a little break from the modelling on the whole, due to the heat, some holidays and generally being busy. But I'm back on it. I have installed the buffer stops properly including the lights that are waiting to be wired up. 

zswdvl.jpg

Generally I have also spent a lot of time finishing up the scenery and adding some details including railings, pallets, some old rails lying around generally trying to add a little bit of run down-ness if that's a word, which it probably isn't! Here are some pictures showing off what I've been up to. 

bfi2qs.jpg

fokw74.jpg

243g9iw.jpg

Next up I'm going to do some work on the electrics. I want to get the buffer stops wired up and I also have some streetlights that I need to install. Alongside this I will add details to station, with station name boards, platform numbers, benches, signage etc. 

I'm also considering doing some videos of the layout for YouTube (I already have a channel for real life railways - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw2dLVP1S0AQDGX1nGNGh8g)although the idea of presenting/talking on camera isn't something I'm used to!

• Like 3

I have recently posted a Layout Tour on YouTube, so you can see a little bit more of the progress I have been making on there. Certainly a few new views of the layout. Excuse the very average presenting, this is my first ever video and I'm no Dermot O'Leary (Insert name of a presenter you think is good here). 

Edited by richscylla
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice small layout ,loads of atmosphere and lovely cameos .

My next layout will probably feature colour light signals ,where did you get yours please .

All the best

Richard

Very nice small layout ,loads of atmosphere and lovely cameos .

My next layout will probably feature colour light signals ,where did you get yours please .

All the best

Richard

Hi Richard, 

I picked mine up from www.modelrailwaysdirect.com 

I think it was this one: https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/signals/berko-b362-2-light-signal-red-green-short-post-t-junction-square-head/

Rich