St Michael's Hill - Modern image micro-layout. Suburban Station

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates on this thread lately. I've been busier than ever on the model railway stuff, but it's been mainly on stock modification so I've not been working too much on the layout! However, I have spent a little time back on the layout over the last few days working on the roads outside the Marshalling Yard around the back of the station. I'm pretty pleased with how it's looking, especially compared to what it was like before. 

2602ydj.jpg

I used a paper kit by Scalescenes. I cut out the pieces that I was going to use, gave them a light coat of matt varnish and then stuck them down. I then cut out the yellow and white lines and individually placed them down. 

110euzl.jpg

The pavements were made by gluing a couple of pieces of plastikard together to get the right height, and then wrapping them in more of the Scalescenes papers. I then gave them a matt varnish to allow me to use PVA on top to blend in the bushes and grass etc. 

24ee5qe.jpg

I still need to tidy a few bits up and remove the greenery that is ahead of the curb and not stuck down, but I'm generally really happy with the results! I will look to add a few more details and then call this area done. Moving on to some final touches on the marshalling yard next!

• Like 2

I have been working on the wiring and I now have the buffer stops and street lights lit up! Everything that is currently fitted to the layout is wired up and working. I will be adding a couple more things to light up in the next few weeks, but I'm very pleased with how it's looking. 

2vufnz8.jpg

qppksm.jpg

• Like 2

Only just picked up on this thread.

The attention to detail in the scenic work outside the railway boundary is as good as any I've seen in a modern era layout.

Thanks so much for the comment! I guess I just have to work on inside the boundary to get that up to scratch then!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks so much for the comment! I guess I just have to work on inside the boundary to get that up to scratch then!

Yes I could have worded that better........!  The whole thing is superb, it's just that I see few layouts where as much attention is paid to the area beyond the railway boundary as within it.

Yes I could have worded that better........!  The whole thing is superb, it's just that I see few layouts where as much attention is paid to the area beyond the railway boundary as within it.

Don't worry - I read it like that! I'm really pleased you think so!

• 2 weeks later...

I have now put the back scene in place and I'm really please with how it looks, makes the layout seem much more lifelike when you can't see the radiator behind all the time! I've also got the trains up and running, which is awesome! I have put a chip into my Bachmann Class 08 and she looks wonderful moving along! 

2dt7uxi.jpg

• Like 2

Great work on the scenery all over, you seem to have done it at a good pace as well which I am equally envious of. Will check back for further updates as it will probably be around the size I have to play with if I ever clear the space set aside.

At the fear of adding too much clutter, the area to the left as you walk on to the platforms might benefit from a cycle rack/car park ticket machine, as a suggestion.

Thanks for the kind words!

My next detailing job will be on the station area, adding platform numbers, seating, people, help points and more so that area will have detail added, as well as something else that's a little more unusual. 

Great work on the scenery all over, you seem to have done it at a good pace as well which I am equally envious of. Will check back for further updates as it will probably be around the size I have to play with if I ever clear the space set aside.

At the fear of adding too much clutter, the area to the left as you walk on to the platforms might benefit from a cycle rack/car park ticket machine, as a suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

Things have been progressing and I now have a backscene in place which I'm pleased with! Still working on getting everything ready for the station detailing, I need a few bits from Warley in a couple of weeks and then I'll get some pictures up. In the meantime, here is how I did the backscene.