RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

Great news, I expect this will be as successful as the SECR C and H classes.  18 months is also a good waiting time too.  Leaves plenty of time to save money but equally it's not too early in the development leading us to think that it's been forgotten about after some time.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Premium

Yes absolutely great news . At last . Well done Rails.

My only issue is confusion over which Caley one to order. I’m tending to the as preserved one , but would really like to know the differences between the two. The clincher would be if the preserved one has overhead warning signs on it . Does anyone know if the real one has? And while I appreciate the original Caley Blue one should be the same colour can someone from Rails confirm that is the case. I did ask at the stand but no one knew . Then there’s just the issue of should I get the LMS one or BR one too.

A great day out at Model Rail Scotland . This is the cream on top and the jam in the filling too!

Congrats to Black Hat on his G5 too

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3

Brilliant choice.      I spent hours watching 828 on the Strathspey and listening to her passing the holiday cottage we stay in and definitely want a preserved one for the garden.   Plans to carve up a Caley single now back on hold

My only issue is confusion over which Caley one to order. I’m tending to the as preserved one , but would really like to know the differences between the two. The clincher would be if the preserved one has overhead warning signs on it . Does anyone know if the real one has? And while I appreciate the original Caley Blue one should be the same colour can someone from Rails confirm that is the case. I did ask at the stand but no one knew . Then there’s just the issue of should I get the LMS one or BR one too.

My pictures from 2011 at the SVR don't show any warning flashes, I don't see why it would have them as it doesn't run on the mainline where it would be exposed to overhead electrical wires.

6214125076_8027c84ce6_b.jpgTaking Water by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

6210944794_9424e5b41b_b.jpgCaledonian 828 by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

Post from this thread explains the differences, will obviously need to see which of these Rails is modelling based on tooling and such.  The announcement identified Westinghouse Air Pumps on the as-built.  I would suspect for a lot of people the presence of an air pump would be the most obvious spotting difference depending on where it was mounted. EDIT: I should look at my own photos. There is a Westinghouse pump mounted on the RHS of the firebox on the preserved locomotive.

As built : Ramsbottom Safety Valves. No vacuum brake equipment/pipes. No lamp irons on running board above bufferbeam, single lamp iron on smokebox top which is rotated 90 degrees to the norm (similar to GWR practice).

Preserved: Ross Pop Safety Valves. Vacuum brake equipment and piping. LMS style lamp irons on running board above bufferbeam and LMS style smokebox iron. Overhaul plate on splasher.

Stephen

Edited by sjgardiner
  • Like 10

Congrats to Rails and Bachmann for such a pretty loco!

I note the OP says that 828 is due for a major overhaul in 2020, given the amount of time Bachmann take to get things moving, perhaps the model will be available to celebrate 828s return to traffic....

An expected 18 months delivery means it might just arrive for the 2020 date (assuming it doesn't keel over before then)....

It's curious, given that Bachmann (David Haahouse) previously said they would not be doing any more commissions in the future, with the last one being Kernow's 4TC. Does this mean that TMC (G5) and Rails (Caley 0-6-0) are putting up some development cash? One would not of thought that was needed, given both have been high in wish lists, or is it a way of keeping prices up and preventing discounting (only being cynical, I know). Obvs the announcements are good news for 2020.... Plenty of time to save our pennies/beer money

Much as I welcome this addition to the range, I am holding off on this one on purely economic grounds, I can get a J36 from Hornby (via Hattons) for £112 with nothing to pay until the loco is available, but for this offering I have to shell out £40 more and have to pay £30 deposit for what is essentially a very similar loco.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Much as I welcome this addition to the range, I am holding off on this one on purely economic grounds, I can get a J36 from Hornby (via Hattons) for £112 with nothing to pay until the loco is available, but for this offering I have to shell out £40 more and have to pay £30 deposit for what is essentially a very similar loco.

Jim

Depends if you want an 812 or a J36 really. A J36 is not what I need, but two 812s are.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jim , chances are the J36 will be here in October. The earliest the 812 is going to appear is October 2019 , and given Bachmann record I’m not confident in that, it could be 2020 to coincide with the real things overhaul. I think the Caley Blue one will be gorgeous , so that’s a no brainer. Not sure whether to get an LMS one or BR one as well. . At end of the day do we really need any of these but they sure will be nice to have! Agree though that at £150-£160 it’s about £40 dearer than the Hornby one , but it’s Bachmann and a Limited Edition. Worryingly the lady did say if it goes above £160 there’s an option to cancel.

However I’m fortunate in having really all the locos I need , so Hattons Barclay, J36 and 812 are really About all that’ll be buying new at the moment over the next couple of years , aside from second hand.

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jim

That is, if I may say, a very Scots approach to choosing a loco. But do note that if you buy the Caley versions of 828, you get the blue paint at no additional cost.

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, RTR caley ? 

Mind you , conversion to EM and goods black ..... 

Still, if it gets folk into pre group modelling its a good thing, and then there is the excellent caley coaches kit for anyone that wants one in the meantime . 

Anyway , sorry to wander off topic a bit , back to enjoying Bens conversions. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't normally be bothered with such an announcement, not my region and all that (I bet you can guess where this is going) but having definitely regretted not getting the infinitely pretty SECR C class, an order has gone in for the preserved loco (Yup,you guessed right!)

Proof of the adage that pretty liveries will sell! Even the Financial & Domestic Authoritative Management thinks it looks very smart so I think I'm on a winner (for now!)

Anyway, plenty of time to put the pennies away. With two G5s as well today, it's a right onslaught of delights!

Cheers

J

• Like 1

Great news on this rails of Sheffield I will be putting in an order for more than one. I have several holidays in Aviemore each year and love this loco. If anyone has never been so far north to the very friendly strathspey railway or stayed in the cairngorm hotel then it is highly recommended. Is there a donation from this going towards the trust to help with its upcoming overhaul?

Please can someone do one in n gauge next please too. :imsohappy:

Edited by Neil Watson

• RMweb Premium

I hope Rails learn from Bachmann's experience with the Bluebell's version of the SECR C class which sold out very quickly on release and consequently prices shot up on auction sites for those who missed out.

Seriously, it's a great choice of prototype and wish Rails success with their plan.

Ending matters, a Caledonian Rly 6-wheel brake van survives at Bo'ness

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10046.htm

• RMweb Premium

Great news on this rails of Sheffield I will be putting in an order for more than one. I have several holidays in Aviemore each year and love this loco. If anyone has never been so far north to the very friendly strathspey railway or stayed in the cairngorm hotel then it is highly recommended. Is there a donation from this going towards the trust to help with its upcoming overhaul?

Please can someone do one in n gauge next please too. :imsohappy:

Depending on Bachmann/Rails' agreement, an N Scale version could be possible.

It happened with the NRM's prototype Deltic in OO which became a mainstream Farish version, yet the larger scale version is still an NRM exclusive.

• Like 1

The Hornby Caledonian coaches will look good with this loco despite not very accurate .It will at least provide a  reasonable rake of coaches to go with it .No idea the ins and outs of what was used where why and how and of course when  but they are  out there ,which is more than we can say for a better version .

Edited by alfsboy
  • Like 2

Given the good news of the proposed model of 828 I thought I would add some pictures which might be of interest.  The two slides are from my own collection and were taken in August 1966 when CR 828 was in the paint shop at Cowlairs Works in Glasgow.  The second was when she was drawn out into the daylight and into the yard in all her glory.

Finally there is a scan of a page of the booklet 'The Story of 828' by John Thomas which was produced contemporary to her time in Cowlairs as part of the fund raising for her repairs.  The juxtaposition of Wm.C.McMillan's model shop is a bit of Glasgow history. 

Finally do we know if there will be an option in DCC sound?

post-1767-0-45934500-1519484110_thumb.jpg

post-1767-0-82890200-1519484115_thumb.jpg

post-1767-0-42978700-1519484125_thumb.jpg

• Like 7