BRM Spring '18 + FREE DVD

SteveCole

As you will have read in the posts above, and on other threads, this isn't the case. It's simply that there is a lack of D&E models out there that we haven't already featured.

Fortunately, the sales numbers would indicate that steam sells. Issues with a steam loco on the cover always sell better than those with diesels for example. Despite this, we are always on the lookout for more D&E content so, as has been said already, if you fancy writing some then you'll find us waiting with open arms.

Sounds like an incentive for me to get cracking on my future diesel depot layout, with the hope of it being featured in BRM. ;)

• Like 4

Sounds like an incentive for me to get cracking on my future diesel depot layout, with the hope of it being featured in BRM. ;)

That's the spirit; anyone else fancy taking up the challenge?

• Like 4

I've just picked up a copy of this months edition of BRM - I'm not a regular reader of any magazine, preferring to buy particular editions if they have an article that enthuses or informs me. The motivating factor this month was John Taylor's article "Churchill Halt". I was following this blog on RMWeb, but jumped at the chance to actually read and view a hard copy article. It's a wonderful project and I look forward to seeing the finished layout. I was also really pleased to read Phil's piece on "fiddlesticks". Something that I have been contemplating for a while, but I lacked any real insight into how to make a start..

Now with all this mention of Layout ideas, and the plethora of dockside shunting loco's that are currently, or shortly will be available, I do think a new layout build article by AndyY for Keyhaven II is definitely in order!!

Thanks to all the contributors and publishing team for an enjoyable read!

• Like 1

Looking at the "D&E" issue, as a show manager there aren't that many layouts out there from that period, particularly small ones.  The mag also has to balance scales- and there are a lot more good N-gauge layouts available currently than good OO ones suitable for showing to the punter at the average small-to-medium sized show.  After all the magazines (plural) can only feature what they are offered.

Challenge- diesel modellers- there is a need for a LOT of decent sub-10 foot diesel and electric layouts that aren't MPDs (there are quite a few of these around already and this representative show manager won't take two in the same show....). How about building one?

No Place (Andy's pics of this are brilliant and have gained me one booking so far) does have diesels- pic attached (not up to Andy's standard but inspired by his photoshoot).

post-13358-0-94398800-1520157108_thumb.jpg

The 08 does a goodly amount of work during shows but I didn't offer it for the photoshoot as it is an "out of the box" loco like my other diesels.  I took the view that the kit built and modified steam fleet were much more interesting.

Operationally I do have a Heljan railbus that isn't used much at shows- the sequence with this is - run it in to the platform, run it back to the fiddle yard, run it, in, run it out, run it in .......  die of boredom after the first 20 mins.   The steam hauled vintage train sequence is - run it in, draw forward to detach coach, take loco to water crane, run another loco to other end of coach and couple,  draw to platform,  shuffle shed to bring next loco to headshunt, run train out, bring loco from headshunt to siding ready for next train, shuffle shed, swap loco in fiddle yard, repeat.....

Could the more varied operation be a factor in there being fewer small D&E layouts of the mag to find?

Just a thought or two

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

As a subscriber to the mailed version can I assume my copy is snowed in somewhere?

Chris

I would think so Chris, mine arrived last Tuesday. PM Steve1980 with your details and we'll get another on its way.

I was disappointed that the Article on 3D printing focused only on very complex models of Loco bodies that clearly need to be made with high quality printers that ordinary folk can't afford.

Not many people will have the skills to make a 3D CAD drawing of something as complicated as a Loco body.

There are also lots of opportunities for making useful things with affordable 3D printers - especially if you don't intend to pick them up and examine them with a jeweller's loupe.

Phil Parker's Tail Lamp article is relevant and very welcome.

...R

• Like 1

• Administrators

The 3D print article didn't mention design, it is really a useful guide to buying stuff from Shapeways. You don't need to own a printer, the point is that someone else owns the expensive bit. It's a bug subject though and we will revisit it again, next month for a start!

Thanks for mentioning my Tail Lamp. I'd like to think it will generate some comment.

• Administrators

Not really, most people's first contact with 3D printing is buying something from Shapeways. Many will never bother to design a model any more than they would scratchbuild one any other way.

If you read beyond the title, it quickly becomes clear that no-one is talking about designing you own models from scratch. That's a much longer piece!

Many seem to think 3D printing is a direct replacement for injection moulding, which it isn't. Understanding this will avoid disappointment when a print arrives in the post.

Not really, most people's first contact with 3D printing is buying something from Shapeways. Many will never bother to design a model any more than they would scratchbuild one any other way.

I am tempted to prolong that argument. Instead may I again relate this to your Tail Lamp - the hobby seems to have changed from railway modelling to railway buying.

...R

Edited by Robin2

• Administrators

I am tempted to prolong that argument. Instead may I again relate this to your Tail Lamp - the hobby seems to have changed from railway modelling to railway buying.

...R

I agree with you on that. Not for everyone, but certainly for many in the hobby. Strangely, they seem to be the one with lots of time to post pictures of the purchases on-line.

That's the spirit; anyone else fancy taking up the challenge?

I would, but it's a tad unrealistic to think my first ever attempt at a layout will be magazine feature worthy!

It's sub-10ft and not an MPD but a glacier is moving faster than it's getting built.

• RMweb Gold

I would love to get my layout Ashbridge which is modern image well sort of modern image it's set from 1975 to 1985 in print at some point seen as it's 95% complete (is a layout ever complete)?

But as BRM is looking for all singing and dancing so to speak how do I know if my layout would be worthy.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I think it may be a valid question. As others have mentioned before me.

Over the last few editions in my opinion the magazine is going down the all steam route although there have been a few pieces which have been relevant to all eras.

The Diesel/Electric layouts are few and far between and when one comes along in the magazine the layout is a monster in size terms what we need is the small modern era layouts to give inspiration to new modellers as not everyone has the same interest in steam operation.

Many thanks

Colin

• Administrators

If you'd like your layout featured, just send some photos in to the editor and he can take it from there. They don't have to b great pictures, just enough to give us an idea. All being well, you'll eventually find Andy York on the doorstep with his camera for a shoot.

• Like 2

I would, but it's a tad unrealistic to think my first ever attempt at a layout will be magazine feature worthy!

If it is not up to Pendon standards it may actually be a lot more inspiring for newcomers.

...R

• Administrators

If it is not up to Pendon standards it may actually be a lot more inspiring for newcomers.

...R

Let's face it, only Pendon people work to those standards. The average exhibition layout is no-where near but still looks good. Mind you, they don't have to chuck the Vale scene into the back of a van and lug it up the motorway every weekend!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed tail lamp. I blaim modern cameras too, you can take killer close ups that normally on your layout you will never see.

I'd always like to see more wide shots of layouts in the magazines, you can't always see how the whole layout sits together. Too many nice close ups.

Enjoyed tail lamp. I blaim modern cameras too, you can take killer close ups that normally on your layout you will never see.

I'd always like to see more wide shots of layouts in the magazines, you can't always see how the whole layout sits together. Too many nice close ups.

Agreed - especially with layouts on the exhibition circuit, take at least some photos from the sort of vantage points a viewer will get at a Show, not all track-level close ups which, whilst inspirational, are impossible to see under normal circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just paid £19.99 for a 6 month digital subscription vie iTunes, i still can't down load the latest copy. Shambolic!!!

Could that be because the digital edition of the April 2018 issue is now out? (or at least it is on the pocket mags website).

Simon

Agreed - especially with layouts on the exhibition circuit, take at least some photos from the sort of vantage points a viewer will get at a Show, not all track-level close ups which, whilst inspirational, are impossible to see under normal circumstances.

I like some of the nice close up shots especially as they are often difficult to see at exhibitions. As I can see high wide angle shots at shows I prefer not to have those sort of views repeated in magazines but like a good selection of images that show the layout in its best light.

G

Having just paid £19.99 for a 6 month digital subscription vie iTunes, i still can't down load the latest copy. Shambolic!!!

Advice received from PocketMags Customer Service. Now sorted by deleting the app and reinstalling it and then restoring my copies.