Annie

• RMweb Premium

So after lurking around for a while and occasionally mentioning the Foxwater Light Railway in other folk's threads I thought I'd better start my own topic thread.  I hope this is the right place for my topic, - if not could a moderator shift it somewhere more appropriate (.....out the back door, down the alley and into the bins?)

At the moment all I have is a mess.  Years of hoarding train stuff, moving house, never quite managing to unpack everything properly and then getting ill have left me with a piled up mess in the half of my bedroom designated for layout building.  From memory and because I don't want to get up and find my tape measure it's a 8ft by 14ft space that would be great for a layout if it wasn't full of junk.

So far I've been sorting my 'O' gauge collection for items that would be useful for Foxwater and separating out my fairly nice large collection of Chad Valley, Brimtoy and Mettoy 'O' gauge which will more than likely get sold to help pay for building Foxwater.

So anyway without further ado here is a corner of the mess which is perhaps not mess since I'll be keeping all this.  It's sitting on what I hope will become the Foxwater station board and the board measures 8ft by 2ft something or another.

I'm pleased with the photos.  I was able to buy a second hand Samsung digital camera just recently at a serious bargain price and this is the first time I've tried it out.

8hgPd9F.jpg

7nKRbPt.jpg

04VTsBg.jpg

So there you go a fairly rough beginning point from which to start.  My only fear is that with this illness I've got I'm going to make a start and then not be able to finish it which would only help to make me feel even more useless than I do now.  The most important thing at the moment though is to keep on with sorting out all the hoarded stuff that's in the way of progress.  Nothing meaningful can be done until that job is finished.  With some things it's been close my eyes and bin it, but as tempting as that is as a means to shift all the clutter, there are some quite saleable items in amongst it all and I should sell them to raise cash for Foxwater.  Even though it's a pain and will take me forever and will cut into my slender reserves of energy (le sigh).

I have a trackplan for Foxwater and I haven't tried messing around with track yet to see if it's possible, but it's somewhere to start from.  It was inspired by a Wantage based plan I saw on Carl Arendt's website, but it's not Wantage nor is it pretending to be; - I just liked certain elements of the trackplan.  I'm just pointing this out because other folk who have seen the trackplan have blurted out, 'oh you're doing Wantage!'....... and then I have to explain which gets tedious.

JbhifIb.png

My intention is to use 027 type track by Marx and Lionel because I have got so much of it you wouldn't believe.  I think it breeds because I'm sure I didn't have this much when I moved house.  I've got some traditional high rail Hornby track as well, mostly for clockwork, but I have a very small amount of 3 rail stuff too.  Because I want a light railway appearance the heavy stuff can stay in its box.  Please don't suggest alternatives as I seriously don't have much money and anything available would have to come from overseas and the freight cost would be crippling even if the price of the new track hadn't crippled me first.  Like the light railways the Foxwater Light Railway is inspired by things are going to have to be done on shoestring.

Advice and comments will always be welcome  C1ST5Fx.gif

• Like 9

So after lurking around for a while and occasionally mentioning the Foxwater Light Railway in other folk's threads I thought I'd better start my own topic thread.  I hope this is the right place for my topic, - if not could a moderator shift it somewhere more appropriate (.....out the back door, down the alley and into the bins?)

At the moment all I have is a mess.  Years of hoarding train stuff, moving house, never quite managing to unpack everything properly and then getting ill have left me with a piled up mess in the half of my bedroom designated for layout building.  From memory and because I don't want to get up and find my tape measure it's a 8ft by 14ft space that would be great for a layout if it wasn't full of junk.

So far I've been sorting my 'O' gauge collection for items that would be useful for Foxwater and separating out my fairly nice large collection of Chad Valley, Brimtoy and Mettoy 'O' gauge which will more than likely get sold to help pay for building Foxwater.

So anyway without further ado here is a corner of the mess which is perhaps not mess since I'll be keeping all this.  It's sitting on what I hope will become the Foxwater station board and the board measures 8ft by 2ft something or another.

I'm pleased with the photos.  I was able to buy a second hand Samsung digital camera just recently at a serious bargain price and this is the first time I've tried it out.

8hgPd9F.jpg

7nKRbPt.jpg

04VTsBg.jpg

So there you go a fairly rough beginning point from which to start.  My only fear is that with this illness I've got I'm going to make a start and then not be able to finish it which would only help to make me feel even more useless than I do now.  The most important thing at the moment though is to keep on with sorting out all the hoarded stuff that's in the way of progress.  Nothing meaningful can be done until that job is finished.  With some things it's been close my eyes and bin it, but as tempting as that is as a means to shift all the clutter, there are some quite saleable items in amongst it all and I should sell them to raise cash for Foxwater.  Even though it's a pain and will take me forever and will cut into my slender reserves of energy (le sigh).

I have a trackplan for Foxwater and I haven't tried messing around with track yet to see if it's possible, but it's somewhere to start from.  It was inspired by a Wantage based plan I saw on Carl Arendt's website, but it's not Wantage nor is it pretending to be; - I just liked certain elements of the trackplan.  I'm just pointing this out because other folk who have seen the trackplan have blurted out, 'oh you're doing Wantage!'....... and then I have to explain which gets tedious.

JbhifIb.png

My intention is to use 027 type track by Marx and Lionel because I have got so much of it you wouldn't believe.  I think it breeds because I'm sure I didn't have this much when I moved house.  I've got some traditional high rail Hornby track as well, mostly for clockwork, but I have a very small amount of 3 rail stuff too.  Because I want a light railway appearance the heavy stuff can stay in its box.  Please don't suggest alternatives as I seriously don't have much money and anything available would have to come from overseas and the freight cost would be crippling even if the price of the new track hadn't crippled me first.  Like the light railways the Foxwater Light Railway is inspired by things are going to have to be done on shoestring.

Advice and comments will always be welcome  C1ST5Fx.gif

What a great plan.  Far from a mess, those photographs seem to require a new collective noun; you have a "delight of trains".

I can relate to being stuck in the modeller's armchair, 17 years in my case and I am threatening to go back there, but you have a great little collection, plenty of track from the sounds of things, and a Plan (and a good one at that)

Take it steady, remember to enjoy yourself (I mention this because I keep forgetting to do so) and please keep us posted on developments. A Light Railway is always going to be good choice and a great subject, and judging from the inventiveness of your fictional background (posted elsewhere) I am sure you will create a charming little fictional world for us to gratefully goggle at.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You make a very important point Edwardian, - 'remember to enjoy yourself'.  I shall print that out on a piece of card and hang it up on the wall just to remind me on those days when I'm not feeling so well.

And you are right, - it is a fairly delightful old lot.  Out of all the locomotives on view one electric one and two clockwork ones actually go, but I think that will do for a start.  Quite a few of the others either need repair or else actually completing, but that will come if I'm patient and work on them over time.

As to buildings and the like there will be quite a bit of timber and corrugated iron construction in the best light railway traditions.  This was the station building I had in mind for a station on the Sumwheir District Railways and I think it would be just as useful for Foxwater.  Making buildings would be a good way for me to keep contact with the project on days when I'm not able to do anything very vigorous. 

mZpnAYI.jpg

nwDrDlF.jpg

Edited by Annie
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

This picture of a coach from the RN Dockyard at Devonport caught my eye today and it immediately struck me what a great light railway coach it would make.  Does any forum member know anything more about this coach?  I wouldn't be wanting to make a fastidious model of it but something in the 'inspired by' category. 

skuos0w.jpg

PIfEWZr.jpg?1

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Toast rack coaches sound chilly Sir Douglas.  I noticed from Wikipedia that the CLR enclosed theirs later on.

I see there's a photo of one on ebay at the moment  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corringham-Railway-Station-Photo-Corringham-Light-Railway-2-/252536185628

Thanks Marlyn.  I've had this layout on my mind for a while and I'd really like to make it a reality.

After having a further look at things I could see that with the width of the layout board I'm going to use the adapted Wantage track plan was going to end up too crowded.  So I decided to remove the workshop from behind the station.  It isn't really needed as I plan on having a main works and engine sheds further along the line.

This is the new track plan.

3PGNcji.png

Edited by Annie
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Found them!  Well the Corringham Light Railway's toastrack coaches certainly are an interesting looking pair.  The one with the enclosed first class compartment is particularly interesting.

c4UkDvD.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I shall be following this with interest Annie - looks like it will be a cracking little project!

Really rather like that Devonport Dockyard coach too - shall have to investigate a model of one of them :-)

There are some more photos of the other oddities that were 'passenger coaches' at the dockyard online here: http://newtonabbotrailwaystudies.co.uk/portfolio-item/rolling-stock/2/

• RMweb Premium

I think this might have been asked before on RMweb, but I would so love a drawing of this locomotive.......  

Pictures found here...... http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/north_greenwich/

north_greenhwich(alsop)old8.jpg

north_greenhwich_old7.jpg

CDC Design do one, but it's in teeny tiny 4mm scale which is no use to me at all.   :cry:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XCQBT4X6D/pla-millwall-extension-railway-2-4-0t-kit?optionId=56769234

They do have the chimney and safety valve in 7mm scale though which is better than a poke in the eye I suppose.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/27REMPJ6J/7mm-scale-millwall-tank-safety-valve-and-chimney?optionId=62397584

EDIT:  It's alright, don't panic!  I've just found the link to the 7mm scale version.   :danced:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/E3JCL8VJ2/0-gauge-kit-for-millwall-extension-railway-2-4-0-t?optionId=60279103

Edited by Annie
  • Like 4

I think this might have been asked before on RMweb, but I would so love a drawing of this locomotive.......  

Pictures found here...... http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/north_greenwich/

north_greenhwich(alsop)old8.jpg

north_greenhwich_old7.jpg

CDC Design do one, but it's in teeny tiny 4mm scale which is no use to me at all.   :cry:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XCQBT4X6D/pla-millwall-extension-railway-2-4-0t-kit?optionId=56769234

They do have the chimney and safety valve in 7mm scale though which is better than a poke in the eye I suppose.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/27REMPJ6J/7mm-scale-millwall-tank-safety-valve-and-chimney?optionId=62397584

EDIT:  It's alright, don't panic!  I've just found the link to the 7mm scale version.   :danced:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/E3JCL8VJ2/0-gauge-kit-for-millwall-extension-railway-2-4-0-t?optionId=60279103

Bluelightening of this parish has the 4mm version.  Smallest UK standard gauge engine?

If he, or anyone else, manages to motorise this, I'd be interested to see how it was done.

I didn't know they had produced a 7mm version.  A bit more room to work on!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The Don Townsley 7mm scale drawing of the "Millwall Extension Railway" 2-4-0T - Manning & Wardle - was published on page 62 of Model Railway Journal Issue No. 53 - dated 1992.

Photographs were also published in MRJ issues 55 and 57 - including one showing the loco with "Pears Soap" advertising logo on the tank side. Remember this was circa 1900.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

All my old MRJ's died when the garage was flooded during the last big rainstorm we had.  I don't see much chance of getting any replacement copies unfortunately.  9tZCX97.png

If I get stuck I can always modify a class B or C drawing using photos as a guide.

Seems like hundreds of years ago now, but I scratchbuilt a P4 class B in brass back when I still had eyesight and steady hands so I should hope I can manage to build a Manning Wardle in 'O' gauge.

Folk talk about fitting a motor in, but with my Class B I used a skinny can motor attached to a dinky little gearbox and actually placed in the chassis so it formed the boiler once the saddle tank went on.

Edited by Annie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes the much hoped for G6 will play the role of a regular 'modern' visitor from the mainline connection to the LSWR.  Sometimes on hire when one of the Foxwater engines is out of sorts and needs to be mended and other times handling goods traffic to and from the little twiglet of a branch line that the Foxwater Light Railway is supposed to be. The backstory is the expected imaginative concoction of semi-plausible historic manipulation where the Foxwater was proposed by by a group of local worthies and built in erratic stages under the shadow of looming near bankruptcy, but somehow managed to win through and subsequently turn a slender profit each year due to the relatively steady traffic of fish, sea salt, sand and farm produce to the LSWR connection at Friars Stumble (and no you won't find a town of that name on any old OS map no matter how hard you look).

I did intent to make Foxwater and its small river wharf a terminus, but since the space I've got for the layout will allow it and I've got some very nice pressed steel 'O' gauge bridges made by Marx it just seemed sensible to bridge the river and create a continuous run. Where the line might be going when it crosses the river is something I haven't thought of yet, but with two Marx girder bridges and two plate girder type bridges to hand the bridge across the river should look sufficiently spectacular.  Perhaps there might have been great ambitions to take to line to somewhere fairly important and significant only the money ran out before it got there leaving the spectacular bridge behind as a mute witness to failure.

Other stations on the line?  Well I did always to intend there to be a 'Foxwood' and 'Foxhill' is another possibility.  'Foxton-on-Marsh', 'Foxbeck', 'Foxbridge'...... all other possibilities.  The meandering Foxwater river running through the district is the connecting theme and of course at Foxwater itself it's navigable and provides a safe harbour for the small local fishing fleet.

This old photo of the East Quay at Wells-Next-The-Sea has the look about it that I would like to achieve.

pjqaFXl.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

It should be fun. It is the sort of layout where you just start to lay a bit of track and it grows. The Millwall extension railway loco looks nice. It reminds me of Gazelle on the S&M LR. I think Martin Brent built one in 7mm. I remember discussing the loco with him before his untimely death

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a digital copy of the Millwall Manning Wardle loco I can send. I was planning to build one but it's suddenly become popular and I'm also conserving energy on projects I can complete!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I had a good read through the cardboard locomotive challenge thread and I'm going to give it a go  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90399-challenge-design-a-card-loco-kit/page-2

post-11344-0-00386700-1414101768.jpg

A small shunting loco is always going to be useful and it will be a good way for me to get my hand in with building locos again.

I found a good stationery suppliers here in New Zealand who does on-line ordering and I've ordered some mounting board as well as a pack of good quality card  Living in the rural countryside like I do makes such supplies hard to find locally and they certainly won't have it down in the township.  One place I found on-line must get their mounting board handmade by Albanian dwarves using papyrus delivered by wheelbarrow from Egypt with the prices they were charging so it certainly does pay to shop around.

Edit:  I've ordered some 1/16th plywood from an aero-modelling supply place as well since it's a material I like using as well as card.

Edited by Annie
  • Like 2

Yes the much hoped for G6 will play the role of a regular 'modern' visitor from the mainline connection to the LSWR.  Sometimes on hire when one of the Foxwater engines is out of sorts and needs to be mended and other times handling goods traffic to and from the little twiglet of a branch line that the Foxwater Light Railway is supposed to be. The backstory is the expected imaginative concoction of semi-plausible historic manipulation where the Foxwater was proposed by by a group of local worthies and built in erratic stages under the shadow of looming near bankruptcy, but somehow managed to win through and subsequently turn a slender profit each year due to the relatively steady traffic of fish, sea salt, sand and farm produce to the LSWR connection at Friars Stumble (and no you won't find a town of that name on any old OS map no matter how hard you look).

I did intent to make Foxwater and its small river wharf a terminus, but since the space I've got for the layout will allow it and I've got some very nice pressed steel 'O' gauge bridges made by Marx it just seemed sensible to bridge the river and create a continuous run. Where the line might be going when it crosses the river is something I haven't thought of yet, but with two Marx girder bridges and two plate girder type bridges to hand the bridge across the river should look sufficiently spectacular.  Perhaps there might have been great ambitions to take to line to somewhere fairly important and significant only the money ran out before it got there leaving the spectacular bridge behind as a mute witness to failure.

Other stations on the line?  Well I did always to intend there to be a 'Foxwood' and 'Foxhill' is another possibility.  'Foxton-on-Marsh', 'Foxbeck', 'Foxbridge'...... all other possibilities.  The meandering Foxwater river running through the district is the connecting theme and of course at Foxwater itself it's navigable and provides a safe harbour for the small local fishing fleet.

This old photo of the East Quay at Wells-Next-The-Sea has the look about it that I would like to achieve.

pjqaFXl.jpg

What a wonderful photograph.  Easily mistaken for Birchoverham Staithe where the West Norfolk Railway connects with the North Norfolk Coast Railway. 

Such a port and your bridge should be truly spectacular.

I had a good read through the cardboard locomotive challenge thread and I'm going to give it a go  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90399-challenge-design-a-card-loco-kit/page-2

post-11344-0-00386700-1414101768.jpg

A small shunting loco is always going to be useful and it will be a good way for me to get my hand in with building locos again.

I found a good stationery suppliers here in New Zealand who does on-line ordering and I've ordered some mounting board as well as a pack of good quality card  Living in the rural countryside like I do makes such supplies hard to find locally and they certainly won't have it down in the township.  One place I found on-line must get their mounting board handmade by Albanian dwarves using papyrus delivered by wheelbarrow from Egypt with the prices they were charging so it certainly does pay to shop around.

Edit:  I've ordered some 1/16th plywood from an aero-modelling supply place as well since it's a material I like using as well as card.

What a great idea; I hope you build a little card and wood shunter.  I wonder if I have seen those locos before?  Are they from the wonderful Gainford Spa, one of my favourite RMWeb layouts: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90804-gainford-spa/?hl=%2Bgainford+%2Bspa

Thank you very much Dava, - I could kiss you.

post-25673-0-76733200-1519806952.jpg