Can you help identify this 16mm / foot scale (32mm Gauge ) coach please?

Can any Garden railway modeler help identify this coach please...

The wheel gauge is 32mm, its approx 12" long.

I would suspect it was built from a kit? around 15 years ago. It seems to have a battery powered lighting kit added, maybe for the rear lamp ?. It has two bogies to run on.

Any help would be useful, as a friend whose father pasted away a couple of years ago, has come across it in the garage and wants to move it on. 

post-5609-0-89851600-1519576694_thumb.jpg

post-5609-0-27669800-1519576775_thumb.jpg

post-5609-0-88009700-1519576712_thumb.jpg

regards

joe

• 6 months later...

Hi

Not sure if it is a kit, But we have a very similar coach to that one running on the railway. This one is just a little longer with 4 compartments so yours could be a cut down version of this coach.

post-21711-0-14772700-1537100917_thumb.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

My guess would be a Brandbright kit, fitted to a proprietary plastic 0 gauge chassis and bogies, maybe Lima or Triang.

Brandbright have redesigned their kits since laser-cutting was introduced, and I think the earlier version of their freelance Victorian coaches had a tumblehome. certainly some of the fittings look distinctly Brandbright.

It might, of course, be a competent scratch build (cutting out all that panelling would require skill and patience) using commercial fittings.

Edited by Nearholmer

I fully  agree  with   Nearholmer, I think  its  definately  Brandbright,  I built  a  few  in  the  80s,  when  I  was   going  thorough my  live  steam  period!  They did  a range  of  different  length  coaches  from  short  4  wheel ones  to  long  bogies  coaches.

I am sure  that  somewhere  I have  some  photos,  If  I locate  them I will post  a  couple

The panelling looks much more realistic than most 16mm wooden coach kits I've seen or made - most manufacturers seem to use the same thickness of ply as they use for the main bodysides, which makes the panelling much too prominent (e.g. compare the otherwise lovely wooden kits for FR Bowsiders produced by The Lineside Hut with the real thing, or with the brass Bowsider etches available from Worsley Works). The panelling on the coach in this thread looks way better - it must either be very thin ply or card. I've never built a Brandbright coach kit, but I'm impressed if they went to the trouble to source a realistic thickness of material for the panelling.

David

I found the Worsley depth too shallow. I think he etched on 60 thou, to half thickness, which simply isn’t enough at 1:19 or 1:20. I’ve got two coach kits untouched because the beading looked way too shallow.

That having been said, only the better makers supply them in nice thin ply: Brandbright; IP; Atropos etc.m

Just looked at the Lineside Hut website, and not only is the panelling too deep, but the fit of the parts looks rather questionable.

Have you browsed Brandbright’s website ...... a lot of very nice stuff!

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

It's a Brandbright PS 21 which was originally designed to be a four wheeler.

Depending on it's age, depends on it's construction.

During my time working with Richard and Shirley Longley, the bodies were routed out in house from plywood.

The ply was imported from Scandinavia by the pallet load as it was far superior to anything commercially available in the UK at the time.

The panelling was die cut cardboard, and if memory serves me right, was subbed out to Remploy in Shrewsbury.

The decision to start laser cutting, all the parts from  various thicknesses of ply was somewhat accelerated by the dies wearing out.

Funnily enough, only the other day, I deleted a lot of the original art work I'd produced for photo etching stuff like the 'Liberty Belle' US outline loco.