Overseas Locos in Britain & British locos Overseas!

sem34090

So, we often hear of British Locos that are elsewhere in the world, but how about foreign-built locos over here? More particularly, those which came before the preservation era and were built for use in this country.

Preservation era wise I can think of the following off the top of my head:

USATC S160 (Also pre-preservation)

Eastern Bloc USATC S100 Copies

Various European Locos on the NVR

NRM's Shinkansen Driving Car

Any others? Some of the early electrics built to American designs come to mind for pre-preservation plus a few locos built for the Midland.

And whilst we're here, why not discuss British locos that are elsewhere, perhaps some of the more obscure ones beyond the Australian ROD's, the A4's and Waddon? And why not have some fun theorising over some of the missing locos, the Chinese GWR 2301's, or any other 2301's, the Egyptian (?) LSWR 0-6-0's, the L&B loco, The Argentine Terriers, etc, etc...

I forgot about those! Thank you for reminding me!

Of course, ironically, they were used to assist the fight against the nation of their birth, especially so being SECR Locos! And no doubt they will have hauled ambulance trains containing people injured by that same nation.

Loads of narrow gauge locos both pre and post preservation - ex ww1 allied and axis 60cm designs, ng15 and ng16s in Wales, significant parts of the roster at welshpool and Brecon mountain, o&k 040wt and 060wt.

Given that the majority of locos currently running on what was BR were built elsewhere this thread could run a while.

I forgot about those! Thank you for reminding me!

Of course, ironically, they were used to assist the fight against the nation of their birth, especially so being SECR Locos! And no doubt they will have hauled ambulance trains containing people injured by that same nation.

The L Class locos were built in three phases, first by a Manchester firm, second by Berlin and because Borsig were no longer available, the third contract went back to Manchester.

With the advent of the Southern Railway in 1923, questions were asked as to why the German locos were better than the British ones and the answer was because the Germans fitted their own model superheaters. When it decided to copy those locos,with the Smitt super-heater, it was pointed out that royalties would have to be paid and the comment was allegedly made,  "No we won't,who won the bl**dy war"?

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 1

Here is a British loco overseas.  It is the Prairie Dog Central Railway loco No. 3, a 4-4-0 built in 1882 by Dubs and Company in Glasgow, Scotland for the Canadian Pacific Railway. It is the oldest operating steam locomotive in Canada.

Cheers,

Chris

To avoid duplication there’s already a long running thread on British locos overseas http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69632-british-outline-locos-overseas/?p=986445.

For “foreign” locomotives here in the preservation era, the book “Britain’s World of Steam” (Catchpole) is a little out of date with some locations, but does give a fair summary of what there is (or was). The book never really overcame the parochialism of home enthusiasts and can generally be found remaindered or second-hand. Pre-preservation imports are worth examination, especially when it comes to industrials, as well as modern locomotives not on the national railway system.

Cork, Brandon and south coast.

The midland railway and great central both bought some 2-6-0 locomotives from Baldwin, I have a sneaky feeling that they supplied some to a third railway.

https://en.wikipedia...lway_2511_Class

snapback.png

Great Northern?

Ray.

Cork, Brandon and south coast.

I think the CB&SCR received 2 Baldwin 0-6-2STs in 1900. The American 2-6-0s were for the Great Northern, as well as the Midland and Great Central. ISTR that British builders were unable to supply locomotives in sufficient quantities at that time (c. 1899) which is also how the Lynton and Barnstaple ended up purchasing Lyn.

Edited by Sarcodelic

There has been extensive discussion on American built locos, mainly diesels, some time ago.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35310 I don't know if the influx of General Motors diesels to Ireland counts.

Just to clarify the American Mogul situation of 1899: - Baldwins provided twenty to the Great Northern, twenty to the Great Central and thirty to the Midland, whci also received ten more from Schenectady, all of which being scrapped by 1915.

The GNR also had the rather bizarre 4-2-2 Lovett Eames for a couple of years from 1882.

In Wales, rather overlooked, the Barry Railway had five 0-6-2 tanks from the Cooke Loco Company, and the Port Talbot Railway had two 0-8-2 tanks from the same builder.  The BR also had five of their B1 0-6-2T class built by the Société Anonyme Franco-Belge of La Croyère, Belgium, delivered in 1900.

There were also two Michelin-built rubber tyred railcars which were trialled in England in the thirties.

The Baldwin locos of the Cork Bandon and South Coast Railway can be seen at http://spellerweb.net/rhindex/Ireland/GreatSouthern/CBSCR.html

Although mentioned in passing, the Southern's USA tanks are significant, and were supplied by two builders, thirteen from Vulcan Iron Works, in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania and one from H K Porter Inc of Pittsburgh, with a second Porter-built example bought for spares.

Finally, from me at least, the GWR gas turbine loco,18000, was built by Brown, Boveri & Cie, Switzerland. Ordered in 1946, it arrived in the UK in 1949, and, after a sojourn back on the Continent, it is now preserved at Didcot, albeit a little different from its original condition.

Finally, from me at least, the GWR gas turbine loco,18000, was built by Brown, Boveri & Cie, Switzerland. Ordered in 1946, it arrived in the UK in 1949, and, after a sojourn back on the Continent, it is now preserved at Didcot, albeit a little different from its original condition.

As a Swiss-o-phile, I love that the 18000 at Didcot retains a (very small) but nevertheless dead give away that it is Swiss - namely the Roma I and Roma II cab end numbers (that's as in No.1 end No 2 end, not a running number). They are of exactly the same styling as found on still active SBB locos.

one of them is just visible between the top cab door foot steps in the linked pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fairways4/39838486972/

• Like 2

As a Southern person you must know about the S.E. & C.R's Class L's built by Borsigs of Berlin in 1914.

As a result of "other events" that year they were not paid for until the 20's but in true "business" rules, the interest was also paid.

Can they truly be regarded as foreign locos though given that they were a Maunsell design and identical to the L's built in Britain?

• Like 1

Of British built locomotives exported and now in the UK there are a few narrow gauge supplied to the sugar industry many are part of the sStatfold Barn railway.

Plus a few exported to India including the DHR B class (Sharp Stewart) now at Beeches and occasional visitor to Ffestiniog

• Like 1

Well, I think if nothing else this thread proves that there has been a small Precedent for locos being imported, especially in pre-grouping times. Interesting to note it was for the same reason as today: a lack of capacity.

Trouble is today, it's not all the builders working flat out that has caused a lack of capacity, but the lack of builders and as such capability to build enough trains to completely sustain our railway network.

When it comes to early internal combustion locos, 1890s to WW1, it was more about lack of capability than anything else - GB was a ‘follower’ on the tech, rather than a leader. There weren’t huge numbers, probably in the tens, and they were of low power, less than 30hp, but Deutz and others did sell us a few. The Montania/0&K ones matured into diesels in the 1920s, and were imported in quite large numbers via their UK agent is south London until WW2, and Jung locos were imported via Standard Steel in Croydon, being sold under the Stansteco name.

• Like 1