Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

NGS in Scotland - 2019 Exhibition season - (was - N Gauge Society - possible new area group(s) in Scotland)

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Following on from the weekend spent on the N Gauge Society stand at Modelrail...

There was a lot of discussion about the possibility of an Area Group (or more than one) being established in Scotland.

We even a bit of time at Modelrail to have some more specific thoughts about things...

1 - Purpose of the group
2 - Options open to us if we were to form a group
3 - Longer term aims

In response to 1

Become active in promoting the N Gauge Society in Scotland.
Provide a more interactive opportunity for N Gauge modellers of all skill levels to meet and interact.

In response to 2

Provide a virtual clubroom for the members of the N Gauge Society in Scotland
Provide opportunities for members of the N Gauge Society in Scotland to show the public what they get up to

In response to 3

Provide an annual exhibition in Scotland of N Gauge modelling by members of the N Gauge Society who are  based in Scotland
Provide support to the N Gauge Society society stand at exhibitions.

If you are interested - please respond on here so that the degree of interest can be established.

If you are not interested - no worries and thanks for reading about it!

Thanks
Phil H

Edited by Scottish Modeller

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

I'd be interesting in anything going on in the central belt to do with N.

I read on the NGF that you'd had a meet at Boness, is that a possible venue going forward?

Hi there,

The meet at Boness had nothing to do with me.

I had commented on the thread but did not get an invite.

Anyway - time never moves slow when I am involved.

I halped man the NGS stand at Modelrail for the full event.

It became apparant to me tat a lot of interest was being shown - so I kicked my ball into play.I am

in the process of mapp

ing the members in Scotlasnd so that a visual guideline can be seen as taht could make it easier to sort out either a group or more than one group.

From the comments (so far) it appears that a virtual group is the mostfavoured outcome.

This is mainly due to the distance involeved if travelling to a meeting or show.

I have feelers out to the various exhibition managers to see if they would be interested in hosting a dedicated N Gauge Society in Scotland display/demonstration stand.

More on that once I get responses.

Stop Press!

Latest news..........

Dundee has a large concentration of N Gauge Society members.

NGS - Scotland (whatever title it ends up with) now have a booking for the Dundee Model Show 2018.

Tiem for the mebers to back the messages of support by turning up to help out!

Official announcement and details to follow as soon as possible.

• RMweb Gold

Good stuff, good to see someone take the bull by the horns and try get something going.

Isnt the N Gauge Society shop ran out of Livingston these day?

Hi there,

Never been one for the slow burn...

Yes - Adrian and the NGS Shop are Livingstone based.

I'm hoping that Adrian has enough time to support the group - he did show interest in helping out once things are organised.

• RMweb Gold

Excuse my ignorance but what is a virtual group? Just an online forum?

Hi Millerhillboy,

In essence you are correct.

The group would be similar to the old Yahoo Groups ideas (but not on Yahoo!) with either no or few physical meetings.

Exactly what is done and where it is done is all subject to discussion and individuals preferences.

I'll use the DD postcode as an example.

It would be possible that all of these members are active in the 'virtual group' but, in addition, there is nothing stopping them having a physical gathering as they are all resident within 20 miles of Dundee.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Well - it's all starting a bit sooner than I thought!

There will be an NGS - Scotland stand at

Perth & District MRC presents

A Celebration of Model Railways 2018

The Dewars Centre, Glover Street, Perth PH2 0TH

June 23rd & June 24th 2018

Hopefully this will be the first step in finding out the level of interest in Scotland towards forming area group(s) of the NGS.

Come and see us at the show and find out more straight from the horses mouth!

Thanks

Phil H

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Well - things have moved on verry quickly!

From the amount of interest shown and  a whole lot of talking that I did at the Perrh Show - this may turn out to be a possible runner.

I kept a tally on the number of people I spoke to on Saturday and it was over 200! I didn't have time to do the same on Sunday as there waseven more talking done!

Anyway - I will continue the process that has been started and will be taking the 'NGS in Scotland' stand to several exhibitions over the rest of the year.

Starting with?

St Andrews Model Railway Exhibition

August 11th and 12th 2018

See http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/16185-EastNeukModelRailwayClubExhibition for more info.

Come along with any questions or ideas you have - my ears are open as is my mind and welcome them.

In the meantime....

NGS in Scotland - Skills day

An informal day for modellers in N Gauge to meet and exchange experiences and ideas.

So far the only venues suggested have been in or near Stirling and an undetermined date.

Thoughts, ideas about this also sought.

Thanks

Phil H

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
As per previous...

A reminder for what's happening with NGS in Scotland over the next couple of months.

We start with a quick warm up - just to make sure everything still works!

Kilmarnock & District MRC Exhibition

Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd February 2019

The Linthouse Building,

Scottish Maritime Museum,

Harbour Road,

Irvine.

Ayrshire

KA12 8QE

Then it's both feet in (again)

Modelrail Scotland 2019

Friday 22nd, Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th Fabruary

SEC Glasgow

G3 8YW.

I'm committed to most of the show on the NGS Stand as resident demonstrator!

If you are at the shows - do come and say hello.......

Hope to see you soon!

Thanks

Phil Holman

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses - both on here and direct.

SO - at some point last year it was decided that we build a charity layout...

The Irvine exhibition marks the start point of doing this with the intention to keep on building it over the exhibitions during the 2019 season.

Thanks to some members I have a box of various bits, a part layout  - and the offer of another part layout to use either as the basis or as donor parts to build a new layout.

The layout name will be 'Glen Ivor' as a tribute to Lawrence's dad who passed away.

Donations/funds raised will go to the  Alzhiemers Scotland charity.

At this point there are still some items that will be needed either in the immediate future or later in the build.

Please note - this is not an 'all singing, all dancing, finescale type of layout! 

It will be a basic, Code 80 layout, that most people could run their stock on.

So - see you at the shows......

Thanks
Phil H