Flying Scotsman Hype on TV 26-2-18

Poor Old Bruce

Did anyone else see the FS programme on Channel 5 last night. It seemed to follow the old journalists' maxim of not letting the truth get in the way of a good story. Time was spent telling the viewer about the 1924 Wembley Exhibition and how wonderful FS (sorry - 4472) was from day one while ignoring the GWR Castle next to it proclaiming to be the country's most powerful locomotive or how Pendennis Castle knocked the spots off the Gresley Pacific on its home ground shortly afterwards. The programme also claimed that the introduction of the non-stop KX - Edinburgh was a first, ignoring the LMS's publicity stunt the day before, even though the LMS trip was never repeated and the ECML job was a regular. The prog did say how good the LNER publicity machine was which is why we are still told that FS is the most famous engine ever.

I had it on, but lost interest pretty quickly. I might copy it if it's repeated just for the footage though. But the amount of "fake news" was absurd.

The clincher for me was the assertion that the GNR invented Pacifics.  :nono:

Jason

Eh?

Surely not!

I thought it was one of the better programmes on 4472. Mrs C watched it, not just because I was in it...

Being a 2 parter, they didn't have to try and cram everything into an hour, and that 7 1/4" B1 was lovely.

Do bear in mind the producers aren't aiming for "us"

I thought it was one of the better programmes on 4472. Mrs C watched it, not just because I was in it...

Being a 2 parter, they didn't have to try and cram everything into an hour, and that 7 1/4" B1 was lovely.

Do bear in mind the producers aren't aiming for "us"

2 parts?

Dear God.  Twice the misinformation!

• Like 1

Some  may  have  noticed  my  Avatar!!  When  that  photo was  taken  there  was little alternative  choice of  loco available

Had  there  been    Stanier  Pacific. or  King or  Castle, or even   SR  Spamcam around  then FS  would  not  have  got  a  look in!!

I should have kept quiet on commenting. However, there was a huge amount filmed, I had an hour and a half interview with no stone left unturned.

Not up to me to edit it, and the historical consultant Dr David Turner knows his onions.

Still better than some of the other Scotsman programmes I'd say.

Back to industrials, narrow gauge, miniature railways and road steam for me; this is too much like being at work (my fault for looking, I know...)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh goodness - the cognoscenti speak - and what a lot of Grumpy Old Men were are!

I watched the programme, and at first I wondered if it was a repeat, but after a few minutes it was clear it is entirely (or largely) new. I thought there was a lot of good footage and comment. I loved the bit where Peter Vine of gauge 1 (or bigger?) B1 Bongo ran it round his land - what a 'model railway'!!

https://petersrailway.com/our-story/

So I suggest folk don't take the above comments as the only take on this programme! I'll be happy to watch the second instalment.

John Storey

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh goodness - the cognoscenti speak - and what a lot of Grumpy Old Men were are!

I watched the programme, and at first I wondered if it was a repeat, but after a few minutes it was clear it is entirely (or largely) new. I thought there was a lot of good footage and comment. I loved the bit where Peter Vine of gauge 1 (or bigger?) B1 Bongo ran it round his land - what a 'model railway'!!

https://petersrailway.com/our-story/

So I suggest folk don't take the above comments as the only take on this programme! I'll be happy to watch the second instalment.

John Storey

I have to say that it's got to a point where all programmes about FS feel like repeats to me.

I know recycling is very much the in thing at present, but there are limits ..... :jester:

John

• Like 1

Talking about FS deja vu, on "Antiques Road Trip" this afternoon there was a segment filmed at the NRM.  Yet with all the wonderful locos on display, what did they concentrate on?

Grump!

At least they managed to differentiate between The Flying Scotsman (the train) and Flying Scotsman (the heap of old tin...).  But there was so much gush!