The Yorkshire Steam Railway: All Aboard" Channel 5 Fridays

it's-er

• RMweb Gold

What's with all that wrong end driving on that 26 and he keeps constantly putting the brake in emergency.

No wonder they haven't shown the guard of that train ,probably barely conscious wrapped round the stove in the van!

• RMweb Premium

I missed the third, and I gather final, instalment on Channel 5 Select, on freeview 54, I think on Sunday evening. But I think you can also Google it, and see it on your iPad or whatever. Cheers!

I found the third instalment rather fun. It certainly said a lot about the vicissitudes of running a heritage railway - it isn't an easy task, at whatever time of the year. I wish the NYMR all the best,

John Storey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I live abroad so I would not have been able to see the series even if I had known about it. I had travelled on the railway part way in 1981 and next month, all being well, I shall be in England with a daughter, her husband and two grandchildren and my brother-in-law has booked a return trip to Whitby with time for a look around and a good fish 'n chips lunch. I asked him to book steam, since I have an aversion to diesels and don't want them on my layout, although I do like DMUs and have three.

By the way, are there any shows going on within a short drive from Wetherby in the period 3-11 August?

Edited by petertg

I live abroad so I would not have been able to see the series even if I had known about it. I had travelled on the railway part way in 1981 and next month, all being well, I shall be in England with a daughter, her husband and two grandchildren and my brother-in-law has booked a return trip to Whitby with time for a look around and a good fish 'n chips lunch. I asked him to book steam, since I have an aversion to diesels and don't want them on my layout, although I do like DMUs and have three.

By the way, are there any shows going on within a short drive from Wetherby in the period 3-11 August?

Redcar, first weekend in August.

Redcar, first weekend in August.

Thanks for this information, but I think that Redcar is too far from Wetherby for our plans. I have been to Redcar, we had holidays there in 1938-1939 and 1946-47.

I try to avoid watching MSM TV of railways as it's aimed at people with the IQ of a carrot. To them it's just a choo choo train chuffing through nice scenery.

have a DVD Yorkshire Steam where BNT spent a full year on the NYMR. But it comes across as the NYMR is the best forget the rest. I suppose it was a promotional film.

I have another BNT production that rides with a crew from Bishop's Lydeard to Minehead on the WSR. They tell a very different story like farm gates left open that are supposed to be closed to bad coal. It sounds a little whinging at times but gives a better insight to life on a preserved railway. People don't think about the extra hour at the end of a day to put a steam engine away for the night or the fact that you come out black from head to toe. The fireman said if you want a dirty weekend come and work on the railway. The crew also remarked that people see the driver and fireman and think that's all people do on a preserved railway. All the other jobs that aren't as glamorous in public's eye are forgotten about.

BNT also did the K&WVR but I got the feeling that it was all staged. The weather was gorgeous and every train that arrives at Oxenhope a brass band plays on the platform....no!. 

• 5 weeks later...

[i am now back home, but we did have a good return trip Pickering-Whitby with a steam engine pulling. I did not see it, but my brother-in-law said we had a diesel locomotive hooked on behind. I upload a photo of the locomotive i case anyone can indicate the class to me.

attachment=1039839:IMG_20180808_160512.jpg]

post-15442-0-17448500-1534364547_thumb.jpg

Edited by petertg

[i am now back home, but we did have a good return trip Pickering-Whitby with a steam engine pulling. I did not see it, but my brother-in-law said we had a diesel locomotive hooked on behind. I upload a photo of the locomotive i case anyone can indicate the class to me.

attachment=1039839:IMG_20180808_160512.jpg]

LNER Thompson B1 class loco. More info here.

Andy