MRJ 261

drduncan

• RMweb Premium

I suppose coverage all balances out in the longer term, though?

Yes, in the long term there's plenty of Great Western stuff...

But to be fair, there are always techniques that are transferable to other regions.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

My local newsagent had four copies this afternoon when I dropped in, three when I left!

I've not even flicked through it, its reserved for a comfortable evenings browse tonight...

Very possibly, I phoned Cygnet last week on another matter and was told it was at the printers, but the weather may delay the distribution process.

Asked at the local W H Smiths and they're not expecting it until 15th March!

Of course, soon as I posted this, I managed to pick one up at the local Smiffs opposite work yesterday morning! Result!! 

• Like 3

Clubs copy arrived. First thing I read is that Accurascale are doing a diag 1/148 HUO of lot 2069 (anyone reading http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130571-accurascale-announce-4mm-scale-huo-and-buffer-detailing-kits/ will know this is rubbish. Indeed lot 2069 appears to be one of the unused BR lots. Then there is a beautiful 2-6-4T a fine example of cheque book modelling. Some nice photos of Toads - including one showing why BR banned them from revenue traffic once H&S began to impinge on the industry. Photos of SMBP tanks always welcome.

Paul

My subs copy arrived at lunch time, complete with renewal notice [sigh].  It will be read thoroughly tonight having gone straight to the top of the insomnia pile.  I have already read Mr Dudley-Cooke's article about auto trailers on Kingstorre.  The last thing I want is to do the gentleman an injustice but I will admit to a feeling of disappointment.  He explains how he was able to justify such alluring prototypes on his fine layyout and identified sources for key components and then goes on to say that he commissioned a professional builder.  I seem to have missed any reference to the building of the Diagram A31 trailer mentioned in the text.  May we be told how this was realised, please?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Got a copy in Smiffs at Paignton this morning. Roger Bird's 'Tralee and Dingle' piece is very nice indeed. I've been fortunate to see it in the flesh at 'Larkrail' last year and quite lovely it was.

I enjoyed the old pictures of Churston Station (just down the road for me) all of which l'd never seen before. 

Simon's Toad is also rather good!

Edited by Re6/6

.....I have already read Mr Dudley-Cooke's article about auto trailers on Kingstorre.  The last thing I want is to do the gentleman an injustice but I will admit to a feeling of disappointment.  He explains how he was able to justify such alluring prototypes on his fine layyout and identified sources for key components and then goes on to say that he commissioned a professional builder.  I seem to have missed any reference to the building of the Diagram A31 trailer mentioned in the text.  May we be told how this was realised, please?

It's just a form of teasing. 

At Newcastle Smiths this morning. ....

Got a copy in Smiffs at Paignton this morning. ....

Clearly WHS Ealing is considered low-priority. It'll probably turn up next week.

• RMweb Premium

Then there is a beautiful 2-6-4T a fine example of cheque book modelling. 

Which one are you referring to? In either case, the person(s) in receipt of the cheque(s) has/have done an exquisite bit of modelling. (Same goes for those long Great Western thingies but they do look just a little garish.) It's modelling of the highest standard that is what one goes to MRJ for, irrespective of whether one can achieve such standards oneself or indeed afford to pay for them!

What I did like about the T&D article was the casual mention that many of the components and stock had been built over forty years ago, even though the diorama itself is more recent - there's hope there!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Oh, and there is no letter from Mr R L-S, Mrs Trellis in fact no letters at all. No bad thing as print taken up in people's opinions can mostly be a waste of space. More room for articles etc..

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

Available in Easons, O'Connell Street, Dublin this morning.

The article on the Tralee & Dingle Railway is based on part of the station which served the village of Annascaul . I know this village well; a friend has a holiday home there.

I took a photo last year of the old water tank. Stone counters can compare and contrast with Roger Birds' excellent model!

Cheers,

Glover

post-5229-0-09047900-1520518666_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've had a fairly good look through it now and it's another excellent issue. For me, the most useful article is that by Gerry Beale himself on the conversion of the new Hornby Toad, something I'm planning on doing fairly soon myself, albeit a straightforward (I hope) conversion to P4. Putting P4 wheels on the RTR axles is something I've done before, so hopefully there is sufficient room for P4 wheelsets as well.

I can attest to the fact that Simon's Toad is a work of art, having seen it in the flesh, albeit I don't think he had weathered it by then. He's also made a jolly good job of a BR Standard brake van in the same scale, although I think that one was a kit, but very well done nonetheless. The research trip to the Forest of Dean is even mentioned.

Possibly the least relevant article for me is that on the GWR smokebox doors, which is slightly ironic, as I have always had a bit of a 'thing' about them myself. My interest in the subject stemmed originally from wanting to make a better job than the old K's whitemetal casting of long ago. My solution to that was a turned brass smokebox door (either bought or done for me by someone expert with a lathe) and then rather low-tec door fittings done by me. The result was a lot better than the K's cast version, if I say so myself, but probably wouldn't bear close scrutiny under a microscope.

I do admire (and, if truth be told, am more than a little intimidated by) the engineering involved on Mark Humphry's pieces, but I will never own, let alone be able to operate, engineering machinery of that nature.

The thought that the smokebox doors supplied by the exaulted likes of Finney and Mitchell are not good enough, rather astounds me, but I am happy to respect the fact that they don't 'cut it' for Mark. Let's put it this way, if he ever supplies his own smokebox doors commercially, I'd be happy to buy some from him!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3