Slater's BR 20T Brake Van

Nickey Line

Nice work Chaz.  I did do brass hangers and stepboards for my Parkside LNER Toad E but it was a lot of work.  For other brakes, I kept the plastic step boards and CA seems to be strong enough.  I also built the Slaters SR CCT in maroon.  I think that hanging steps should always have brass frames at least.

John

• RMweb Premium

An interesting detail on these and many other vans is that the original curved rainstrips over the door openings seemed to end up replaced with straight strips after being recanvased. The kits always seem to have the curved option but replacing with straight strips us easy.

Nice work Chaz.  I did do brass hangers and stepboards for my Parkside LNER Toad E but it was a lot of work.  For other brakes, I kept the plastic step boards and CA seems to be strong enough.  I also built the Slaters SR CCT in maroon.  I think that hanging steps should always have brass frames at least.

John

If it works it can't be wrong. However the Connoisseur range also includes the earlier LNER van and I much prefer brass to plastic for goods brakes.

post-9071-0-69616000-1521159969.jpg

I think the Parkside kit looks more to scale but is also a bit more fragile. You can't beat metal for an exhibition layout, on which the stock inevitably has a harder time.

Chaz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You can't beat metal for an exhibition layout, on which the stock inevitably has a harder time.

Chaz

Apologies for straying off topic but how do you store your stock? Mine is mostly individually boxed and is increasingly taking over the entire house!

Apologies for straying off topic but how do you store your stock? Mine is mostly individually boxed and is increasingly taking over the entire house!

Between shows the stock remains in the cassettes that we use when operating. We push strips of soft packaging foam into the sides of the cassettes so that no damage occurs in the van or when loading or unloading. The cassettes are stacked in, on and around the stored layout. 

post-9071-0-94835400-1521187079.jpg

The end of a cassette - many of my cassettes are long enough for four wagons. Locos have their own cassettes.

HTH

Chaz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having started this thread I thought perhaps I should show how far I've got with my build...

wmzN4F9digLAiyluuu5R5g0PiY8-YMpTzO33Quzoj9HBWLGkHrGZ_KQ8mAkIS8Cvw59OHPuyUIBiCvJbd_QQUlXfGhOMoQeKMJdi-QkP43C0vQQuGuuwUdGQQkfG7z4757J7VrM0liZLvvetW4VRQ5_gb9omIjPcMgMhrOHtMWxcqxPkB_RSWZWxtuuFD3MVz4-tX33L1y24F-VuJXUf030ivyt70ctww_6QQAAE05JaprC8QchIdqDgvq1wgAGeTMgQj9TXuFwD6H8xhFK3UEnbopMwRKJoQ61iAcpGESaLbfoUdNkHLup9DKvJ0hwa9uUVmPE8sclrS6j5x6sAMXoOAoVEM19R9LCF7Zu-59w_E74wiIkPgQInM6RCvGDMzgZPzqZIYwyvikHDlhpVEQR1yxAoxVfydxFBshysd92Ha_02RhZCq_EZ5NuYyG897xGyy4AbaXtodUwRwcltrcRWvnAanLLSDJfhNPBFEz9mqqtqYSLXxhmHst1NoJypevsrJV7dAHDfYXMvt7k2JSRHIcrWeb3--b7chSCyL9R_8dbVcFSEYdywzU3-T6pSPzreVeehgyY1wYBI3jv2ZncK3hViZTF9IZXVZEw=w1024-h576-no

WIfuq2eybLui3dEa-feypAZIJ1fZ0jAT_Fec8MfeunUlgVOkgvnHtp1o_rMq1S-cGNFOJYCC5UmPn4BeDn3yvZL8wUbbUFwzU_s8CvsnXsGDE_P-co9uEz007zVhJhF26meNEyd4GwBceHJllZ5DS7NTAsFJc0Z16SzngXFNfbRbO_Qo94uXFhx5XktYVNs7kuiuB1-ySnZb4nk_LJSPYCfPC-QKfFCOFFJY97oY0gGPhD_R8KKwDO3VoYx-C4_FW8a-78uDnC2bFme6HjNZBSxGJY4M42QKQLYpanLDg5UuC381HYJ5aBtHUoUMopK8hyq_MJCBowipPVJHxUF18Rlpi89zmtgClBYO9SCtUP4UgC6tPX0OqV-f2tH9SjDg0rXJYZhqvrn1WOeAWRLDwiPZpoNDA4o3vvpo-MeA668uTuJ_K-MlMYF9RZFnhZlwvCU_NQGy_gPulj60cWN3-eJILp8dwgU6H0fS-SprmBqaVKK6eeVTZ1TwuFk4DatM3RTJvLtTo3NZscmLw_bVDNzqPc_vw1830HIVjCdqjZG4cGY32CNbu-MfZWgFckrmKCVvpMCG9BvOfXpxtgISsK2LZ7Sy8Gjp60D3MiU=w1024-h576-no

The space under the undersheet is lead-filled.

Phone picture quality isn't that great - sorry!

Edited by whinge-n-moan

• RMweb Gold

We'll have to take your word for it - there's nothing visible!

Dave

That's odd - I can see them! I've attempted to link to Google photos, I think I'll go back to the old method...

post-343-0-66179700-1521285063_thumb.jpg

post-343-0-11881700-1521285114_thumb.jpg

Is that better?

• Like 3

Adrian, if you click on "Reply with attachments" you can attach pictures to your reply without having to resort to photo hosters like Flickr or "gasp/shudder" Photobucket.  Just click on "Browse" to find your picture and click on "Open" to select it.  Click on "Attach this file" and a small thumbnail should appear at the bottom of the reply.  Click on "Add to post".

HTH

John

• RMweb Gold

Adrian, if you click on "Reply with attachments" you can attach pictures to your reply without having to resort to photo hosters like Flickr or "gasp/shudder" Photobucket.  Just click on "Browse" to find your picture and click on "Open" to select it.  Click on "Attach this file" and a small thumbnail should appear at the bottom of the reply.  Click on "Add to post".

HTH

John

Yes, thanks; this is exactly what I did, please see post 34 above... ;)

Edited by whinge-n-moan

• 8 months later...

Hi

I'm looking to build one of these kits or the Parkside model - is there space under the ballast to add some lead flashing (it is about 2-3mm thick).

Also, is it possible to spray the underframe separately from the van body to avoid masking off then attach the van body to the chassis/underframe?

Cheers

Art

Edited by Art Dent

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I'm looking to build one of these kits or the Parkside model - is there space under the ballast to add some lead flashing (it is about 2-3mm thick).

Also, is it possible to spray the underframe separately from the van body to avoid masking off then attach the van body to the chassis/underframe?

Cheers

Art

Hi Art, there is a little room under the ballast to add weight, but I added extra in the underframe, beneath the undersheet, shown in post 34.

I suppose it's possible to spray the underframe before assembling the body, but you would have to mask the areas where the body joins the floor, as the underframe is built onto the floor.

Parkside don't do a model of this van.

Thanks

Will look to be getting one of these shortly.

Whilst constructing the van I aim to add pickups to the wheels and a red LED 'tail lamp'

Just to get this correct, how many lamps should be showing for unfitted or partially fitted freight?

A single red to the rear or three with red to the rear and white on either side showing towards the loco?

Cheers

Art

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

Will look to be getting one of these shortly.

Whilst constructing the van I aim to add pickups to the wheels and a red LED 'tail lamp'

Just to get this correct, how many lamps should be showing for unfitted or partially fitted freight?

A single red to the rear or three with red to the rear and white on either side showing towards the loco?

Cheers

Art

Hi Art,

this link gives some useful info...

http://farnhammrc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/TailLamps-2.pdf

One pic obscures the text but you can select, copy, and paste it into a text file to read it.

Edited by whinge-n-moan

Did you put the safety loops around the brakes?  This kit, like all the others completely ignores this detail and is a pet peeve of mine.  I'm sufficiently obsessive to put these on.  The Dapol BR 20T van also omits these.  Really can't understand this glaring omission.

post-5932-0-70110500-1543869809_thumb.jpg

You can just make them out I think.  BTW I made mine vac. braked with considerable help from people on here.

John

post-5932-0-70110500-1543869809_thumb.jpg

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Gold

Did you put the safety loops around the brakes?  This kit, like all the others completely ignores this detail and is a pet peeve of mine.  I'm sufficiently obsessive to put these on.  The Dapol BR 20T van also omits these.  Really can't understand this glaring omission.

attachicon.gifP1010004.JPG

You can just make them out I think.  BTW I made mine vac. braked with considerable help from people on here.

John

Well, yes I did, and indeed you can just make them out I think... :laugh:

You need to view the pic full size though. A bit grainy...

Edited by whinge-n-moan

• RMweb Premium

Hey, no fair, that's out of context!

John

Sorry!

Did think of you the other day when I saw a CAD of something which included the safety loops. Can't for the life of me think what it was now though (happens a lot these days!)