Fleischmann to end HO scale from 2019.

steventrain

I think this is an example of the comedy referred to above. It really spoils a neat model (excuse undercoat and state of partial disassembly, another story). I acquired the loco cheaply, which partially explains the repaint, and I am thinking about whether to replace the wheels.

Has anyone had dealings with Holger Graeler, who I hear offers a service of reprofiling/replacing commercial h0 wheels? If I succeed in transacting with him then I'll post a photo of the non-comedic replacements.

useful for slicing Pizza though??

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

useful for slicing Pizza though??

Yes, very good for slicing pizza, although the cheese sometimes gets caught in the spokes.

Here's the loco following a visit to Herr Gräler's workshop. She looks a lot better (having all the other bits on also helps; the last photo showed her a little less than fully dressed)

BR86

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can reprofile NEM drivers to RP 25 just by powering it up and filing down  the flanges to the right profile .I just eyeballed  the flanges on a Lilliput  2-10-2 tank  until they matched some US brass wheels and used an NMRA gauge to check them  ,the pilot wheels being pulled and  stuck in a Dremel .Took about an hour .I was trying to get it to run over Shinohara code 70 pointwork and track .it worked a treat   but not for the nervous .I then HON3'd a Bemo V51 and used dual gauge Shinohara .It was in the early eighties so excusable .As we are probably entering a 30's re enactment  couple of decades with the Trump  version of Smoot Hawley everything is probably irrelevant anyway .

Edited by alfsboy

• RMweb Premium

That must have cost a packet.

Moderately so; more than one new 00 steam loco definitely, but not one new H0 one (and the tyres and flanges of the 00 loco would most likely have looked finer than the H0 for what that may be worth).

This 86 cost me very little (it wasn't looking very pretty having been mostly covered in a thick layer of green paint), so it can almost be rationalised in money terms. I got a new motor fitted too, and was pleased to get pretty much all the old parts back at the end for recycling.

I thought quite hard before exporting the currency, but kept remembering a comment from someone who had a Fleischmann BR 94 'done': the end result runs beautifully, and the whole lot cost a lot less than a Weinert kit that could in any case go disastrously wrong!

NB the 94 is a very tricky proposition as the only way to have the right wheelbase, the right diameter wheels and flanges is with Proto:87. I don't think I have actually yet seen a Proto:87 vehicle in the flesh, certainly not a European one.

• RMweb Premium

Of course I am a bit late the the Fleischmann BR 86 party. Roco have published some photos of work on their replacement. It looks as if the traditional wheel profile will be retained (though hopefully they won't be bright blue as depicted in the 3D model): https://www.roco.cc/de/news/items/215-0-0-0-0-0-0-003-0/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

....I thought quite hard before exporting the currency, but kept remembering a comment from someone who had a Fleischmann BR 94 'done': the end result runs beautifully, and the whole lot cost a lot less than a Weinert kit that could in any case go disastrously wrong!

NB the 94 is a very tricky proposition as the only way to have the right wheelbase, the right diameter wheels and flanges is with Proto:87. I don't think I have actually yet seen a Proto:87 vehicle in the flesh, certainly not a European one.

I think Holger Gräler wanted 300 Euro-Plus to convert my Roco 18.201 to P87/HO-pur profiles.