chaz

I would be grateful for some help...

Set up

JMRI Decoder Pro running in a Mac Notebook Pro

SPROG II connected to the Notebook via USB port

SPROG connected to PSU which is plugged in and on

Two red LEDs lit on SPROG

Track connections made to a length of Peco track, freshly cleaned

Loco with ESU Loksound decoder on track - a known good runner with wheels cleaned

Software starts OK

Clicking on "Add Loco" gets no response, either with the read option or Clicking on ESU on the list.

What have I forgotten to do?

What am I doing wrong?

If you have experience, particularly with a Mac and can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful - I have a show to go to at the weekend and would dearly like to take a new loco which needs setting up.

Chaz

Mac is usually much easier than Win.

Have you set the Decoder Pro Preferences.

This grab is the preferences pane on my Imac (I'm not actually using Sprog - I set it up for the screen grab)

John

attachicon.gifSprog grab.jpeg

Thanks John,

I will try that immediately.

Chaz

Mac is usually much easier than Win.

Have you set the Decoder Pro Preferences.

This grab is the preferences pane on my Imac (I'm not actually using Sprog - I set it up for the screen grab)

John

attachicon.gifSprog grab.jpeg

Just had a look at the Preferences and they are all set as in your screen grab. this must have happened on auto.

Clutching at straws my next move will be to check the track connections with a meter. 

edit - Just checked the connections to the track from the SPROG - from the screw terminals on the SPROG plug to the rails the connections are sound. I removed the plug from the SPROG as possible back-connections inside the SPROG might confuse the meter.

If anyone can offer any further advice I would welcome it.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

I sent Andrew a message but got a "red label" against him in my messages panel that he is "BLOCKED - can't participate". I hope this is a mistake but if not it would seem the direct route is a no-no. If anybody else can help I would be grateful.

Chaz

I had a problem with a SPROG 3 which stopped working.

I was advised that there might be a problem with the SPROGs operation mode which had become corrupted.

The solution was to:

Open the SPROG console in JMRI

Use the console to send M h801 followed by W

In my case this worked and normal service was resumed.

• RMweb Premium

I sent Andrew a message but got a "red label" against him in my messages panel that he is "BLOCKED - can't participate". I hope this is a mistake but if not it would seem the direct route is a no-no. If anybody else can help I would be grateful.

Chaz

Try contacting via:-  http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/

I had a problem with a SPROG 3 which stopped working.

I was advised that there might be a problem with the SPROGs operation mode which had become corrupted.

The solution was to:

Open the SPROG console in JMRI

Use the console to send M h801 followed by W

In my case this worked and normal service was resumed.

Thanks for that - method noted. However corrupted seems a bit unlikely as this is the first time I have tried to use it.

Chaz

Don't know why that might be, but best to contact us direct. There's a contact link on our website.

The other thing to check in the preferences are the "defaults". You need at least the service mode programmer to be set to the SPROG and not "internal" in programmer mode.

Andrew (Crosland)

• Like 1

Don't know why that might be, but best to contact us direct. There's a contact link on our website.

The other thing to check in the preferences are the "defaults". You need at least the service mode programmer to be set to the SPROG and not "internal" in programmer mode.

Andrew (Crosland)

Thanks Andrew, I will get in touch this afternoon.

Clicking on the SPROG console item in Decoder Pro brings up the message “sprog prompt not found”. This suggests to me that there is a piece of software missing. If you know what this is please tell me. Obviously if a link in the chain is absent then my SPROG is never going to work.

Chaz

That suggests the SPROG is not working. Please return it to us.

Andrew

I will do so. I presume there is what would be called "firmware" in a digital camera in the SPROG? 

Chaz

I will do so. I presume there is what would be called "firmware" in a digital camera in the SPROG? 

Chaz

Chaz

Have you checked the connections to the Sprog.

In my experience, they are polarity sensitive ie need to connect power supply  + to + and  - to -.

Just a thought

Cheers

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Chaz

Have you checked the connections to the Sprog.

In my experience, they are polarity sensitive ie need to connect power supply  + to + and  - to -.

Just a thought

Cheers

Tim

Yes Tim. All connections are OK. In fact I would be surprised if they weren't - the 4-way green plug is wired as it came, and hasn't been disturbed.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

• 1 month later...

Still no joy. The SPROG has been back to Andrew who tested it and found it to be fine.

Opening Decoder Pro gives me the messages...

"service mode programmer is Online"

"operations mode programmer internal is Online"

But when I click on "New loco" + "read type from decoder" nothing happens.

Programming track is clean (polished) + loco wheels are clean - loco is a known good runner.

Any suggestions?

Chaz

Capture the sprog console output when trying to read the loco and send it to me or post it here.

Andrew

Sorry Andrew. How do I do that? I know how to do a screen grab, but not how to access the prog console.

EDIT - YES I DO (IDIOT) SEE BELOW

Edited by chaz

Sorry Andrew, suddenly remembered I knew where the console was.

As soon as I opened it something started to happen. The loco inched and the console generated this...

cmd: " "

rep: "
P> "
cmd: "?"
rep: "

SPROG II Ver 4.3

P> "
cmd: "I"
rep: "I=00096
P> "
cmd: "M"
rep: "M=h0800
P> "
cmd: "C 0008"
rep: "= h97
P> "
cmd: "C 0007"
rep: "= hFF
P> "
cmd: "C 0031 000"
rep: "OK
P> "
cmd: "C 0032 255"
rep: "OK
P> "
cmd: "C 0261"
rep: "= h3D
P> "
cmd: "C 0262"
rep: "= h00
P> "
cmd: "C 0263"
P> "
cmd: "C 0264"
rep: "= h02
P> "
cmd: "C 0029"
rep: "= h06
P> "
cmd: "C 0001"
rep: "= h07
P> "
cmd: "C 0017"
rep: "= hC0
P> "
cmd: "C 0018"
rep: "= hF0
P> "
cmd: "C 0019"
P> "

it seems as though I'm nearly there. I certainly saw the loco's address - "7" before Decoder Pro seemed to revert to 3. I might have misunderstood that bit.

Chaz
Edited by chaz

OK - the act of opening the console seems to have sorted the programming side which seems to be working as it should.

Now can someone tell me how I get a throttle so I can test-run a loco? Sorry if this is obvious but I need a nudge in the right direction.

Chaz