Stanier Coaches

81C

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

I've purchased some Airfix & Dapol Stanier coaches 4 comps' and 3 Brake 3rds for through coach operations,I'm looking to see if there is anyway of super detailing them to enhance the appearance,

I'm constucting a GWR Devon layout and haven't got a clue where to start so would be greatful of some advice apart from binning them working period is 1939-1942 .

Thanks Bob

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

It all depends what standard you want to achieve. But they are not of a bad standard for something initially produced about 40 years ago.

The main problem really is only having two types. For trains to Devon I am sure you really want some all-thirds.

Comet/Wizard do some underframe detailing etches & castings, & South Eastern Finecast do flush glazing.

Beyond that there are buffers from Lanarkshire Models & Suppliers, or MJT, & working gangways from Masokits.

As Joseph says it depends how far you want to go - & there will be a time when starting again is easier! (Or just using the roof...).

Edited to correct autocorrect...

Edited by Jub45565

• RMweb Gold

It all depends what standard you want to achieve. But they are not of a bad standard for something initially produced about 40 years ago.

The main problem really is only having two types. For trains to Devon I am sure you really want some all-thirds.

I don't want adverse comments once the layout starts getting posting you know want some so call members can be like I can stand my ground on GWR but clueless on LMS, good points raised so far :- overall

they are not bad for a 40 y.o. model, all thirds which will come from Comet sides if they fit I've done several Collett conversions, new glazing I'm being told Shaw plan is better the SEFC, buffers are a must

several have missing one's changing them can improve appearance, coupling will be altered to the smallest on the market a change to metal wheels and rear lamps will be attached.

Can anyone advise on how to get them apart does the roof pop off then lever the 8 tabs? as per most Airfix stock and please could anyone tell me what colour is the seat material for the different classes.

Thanks to all who have answered it's helped me to have coaches looking something like the prototypes.

Thanks Bob                                

Edited by 81C

Hi Bob.  Going off my memory here (too lazy to get the book) - these were built for a specific purpose (which I can't recall) and not that many were made.  The more common diagrams for LMS NC coaches were done by Hornby two or three years ago.  The main difference is the Airfix coaches have lavs and regular NCs don't.  Also from memory, I don't think Comet ever did these diagrams.

John

Mainline did a Stanier composite, and a a BSK of which I had three and as a RTR offering in BR maroon with crest. I thought they were very nice. I didn't mod them at all as it was a look I was after as opposed to a true prototype. They ran very well and responded nicely to Bachmann wheels and couplings. Long since moved on as I went to Bachmann MK1's. Replica also did a RTR Stanier open third in maroon from the same tooling stable I'm led to believe and they occasionally come up on the eBays although quite pricey.

Regards

Guy

Hi Bob.  Going off my memory here (too lazy to get the book) - these were built for a specific purpose (which I can't recall) and not that many were made.  The more common diagrams for LMS NC coaches were done by Hornby two or three years ago.  The main difference is the Airfix coaches have lavs and regular NCs don't.  Also from memory, I don't think Comet ever did these diagrams.

John

They were built as mainline sets for services between major cities such as Liverpool - Manchester, Manchester - Leeds, etc. However they decided that corridor stock was the way to go, so they were downgraded to suburban sets. They were often mixed with older pre grouping stock and non lavatory stock to provide facilities. Quite often used on excursions.

Typical sets would be

CL+BTL

BTL+CL+BTL

BTL+CL+CL+BTL

It's a bit of a misnomer to call them Stanier coaches as they were built in 1930 two years before Stanier was appointed.

Comet also make the earlier versions.

M97 Lavatory Brake Third Non-gangwayed D1685 57 foot Built 1926

M98 Lavatory Composite Non-gangwayed D1686 57 foot Built 1926

Unfortunately I don't think anyone makes the D1761 Lavatory First.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

I've purchased some Airfix & Dapol Stainer coaches 4 comps' and 3 Brake 3rds for through coach operations,I'm looking to see if there is anyway of super detailing them to enhance the appearance,

I'm constucting a GWR Devon layout and haven't got a clue where to start so would be greatful of some advice apart from binning them working period is 1939-1942 .

Thanks Bob

There would have been a lot of pre-grouping, LMS Period 1 and Period 2 stock on through trains to the West Country at the start of WW2. There would probably be some of the panelled coaches made by Bachmann in evidence. http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrknlms229.htm Even into the 1950s these services seemed to attract a lot of old stock. There is a picture on the Warwickshire Railways site of a M&GN coach at New St in 1952. The next coach is ex-NER. There's also one about somewhere at the same period with an ex-Highland railway coach.

For my 1950s 'Excursion' set I am using a variety of old Airfix, Mainline, Replica, Bachmann and Dapol coaches and parts along with Comet sides. The Replica version mentioned above represents Diagram 1915, of which over 300 were built 1935-7. I am currently using Comet sides to convert a Replica one to a Diagram 1913 Open Brake 3rd built 1934.

• Like 1

Don't forget that Dapol also make the old Airfix corridor stock. Available in kit form as well as ready made. An advantage of the kit version is you don't have to dismantle it. :)

57 foot Brake Third BTK D1905 Built 1934

60 foot Composite CK.D1898 Built 1934

http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000396/1000588/1000636/0/Dapol_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Coaches/prodlist.aspx?sort=5&showPreowned=false&pageid=1

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget that Dapol also make the old Airfix corridor stock.

Which may well be what 81C was talking about. I doubt you'd see many inter-district sets on long distance trains to the south west.

Hi 

I've purchased some Airfix & Dapol Stainer coaches 4 comps' and 3 Brake 3rds for through coach operations,I'm looking to see if there is anyway of super detailing them to enhance the appearance,

Thanks Bob

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice if the late Sir Bill [stanier] could get his name spelt right on the thread title. How much nvolvement he had with the coach designs is another matter. Though the resemblance of these coaches to the Collett GWR steel-panelled coaches of the same period is remarkable.....

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone advise on how to get them apart does the roof pop off then lever the 8 tabs? as per most Airfix stock and please could anyone tell me what colour is the seat material for the different classes.

That sounds correct, from distant memory. The roof clips to lugs on the glazing which comes out as two separate pieces once the roof is off. You may find this thread on the Dapol reissue of these coaches of interest:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67996-making-use-of-Dapol-lms-coach-kits/

I also came across the old Comet Models site, which gives a good summary of the types then produced, helpfully along with length and build date. Of course you need to look on the Wizard Models site for current production. You need the Stanier (Period 3) designs for the Airfix coaches as earlier vehicles had different roofs, ends and gangways. The Mainline/Bachmann model would make a good basis for Period I (up to about 1928) conversions (the D1692/99 "two window" style vestibule 3rd would seem to be an obvious candidate as it looks nicely different).

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/viewcategory.php/LMS%20Coach%20Kits%20and%20Sides

Edited by Flying Pig

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again everyone for the additional information, I have seen some of the Replica coaches on ebay and wondered why 

the were bidding out at lottery prize money.

Thanks Bob

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again everyone for the additional information, I have seen some of the Replica coaches on ebay and wondered why 

the were bidding out at lottery prize money.

Thanks Bob

It's worth trying different searches, I've picked up a couple for around £12 last year for donors. Search on the replica cat nos, 12221 for LMS and 12222 for BR liveries respectively, or just browse generic descriptions like LMS coach.

Rails usually have some but nowadays seem to put a lot of s/h in bundles at crazy prices, long gone are their 99p starts but if they have something you want on Ebay make an offer rather than pay the BIN price.

Edit

Rails have about 10 of the BR version (12222) on Ebay for £17.50 + £2 p&p at the moment

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice if the late Sir Bill [stanier] could get his name spelt right on the thread title. How much nvolvement he had with the coach designs is another matter. Though the resemblance of these coaches to the Collett GWR steel-panelled coaches of the same period is remarkable.....

Dava

It would be nice if you called him William I doubt if he was called Bill how common.

• Like 2

Dava

They were updates of Midland Railway designs including using the same dimensions. So it must have been the GWR copying the Midland....

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

They were updates of Midland Railway designs including using the same dimensions. So it must have been the GWR copying the Midland....

Jason

Jason I'm really not interested on who done what I like to go happy about my day playing with my train I came on here after some facts which members have kindly gave me the benefit of the knowledge

that is all,  I suggest you join Diva on a seperate thread picking holes in one and other.

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Premium

Clive, I know everything there is to know about this subject. More than anyone else in the Country. I am the most informed person you will meet. I can spell Stanier in several languages too.

Just drop me a PM and I'll let you have the information you require and also I am happy to fund your collection of Comet Kits that you will require.All the best my friend.

Wibble Bottom

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At least Airfix made / Dapol make their LMS corridor coaches in both 57' and 60' lengths, unlike the exquisite Hornby coaches which are all 57' - so no composites or brake composites, at least of the Period II and III styles. So with the Comet sides there's plenty of scope for ringing the changes, though the steel roofs are only appropriate for Period III coaches.

The Airfix / Dapol lavatory non-corridor coaches are Period II designs, with only 25 built to each design - so a much rarer coach in reality than on model railways! However, the fully-panelled Period I versions were a bit more numerous - 145 composites and 248 brake thirds. The challenge for the LMS period modeller is that, with their late 20s build dates, the Period I coaches could well have retained the Midland-style fully lined livery up to and through the war (in common with the majority of wood-bodied stock). With their wood and canvas roofs, these models are good for conversion to other 57' Period I and II coaches.

Is there any evidence that Stanier himself was directly involved with coach design? The so called Stanier coaches, or Period III as Essery & Jenkinson termed them, seem to stand in a steady line of evolution from the late Midland and LNWR designs.

Edited by Compound2632

Clive, I know everything there is to know about this subject. More than anyone else in the Country. I am the most informed person you will meet. I can spell Stanier in several languages too.

Just drop me a PM and I'll let you have the information you require and also I am happy to fund your collection of Comet Kits that you will require.All the best my friend.

Wibble Bottom

Mr Mallard,

Do you have that list of possible comet conversion items that you mentioned on a.n. other thread,and for which I'd asked if you'd be kind to send me a copy?

Rgds,

• RMweb Gold

Mr Mallard,

Do you have that list of possible comet conversion items that you mentioned on a.n. other thread,and for which I'd asked if you'd be kind to send me a copy?

Rgds,

Drop Phil (Mallard) a PM as per his post for any info'.

Bob

Drop Phil (Mallard) a PM as per his post for any info'.

Bob

Tried that, but will do it again. :)