nathan9117

Welcome to my new layout thread, this is a work in progress and as of yet the baseboard need to be constructed. I have spent the last few months researching Loconet compatible equipment and have decided to use a combination of Digitrax and Digikeijs hardware.

The layout will be situated in my loft measuring 9 Feet by 18 Feet. The layout itself will be 8 Feet by 18 Feet as to allow for a backdrop to be fitted. At current the loft has been strengthened and had flooring put down the only tasks left to complete are to insulate and cover the roof and wire up 5 sockets and lights.

The layout will be a mix of DCC Manual and DCC Automatic control I will have the computer dispatch random trains around the layout while I drive a loco of my own or do some shunting, there will be many features added to make for a very fun operating session such as random freight trains being sent to the yard ready for sorting before being handed back over to automatic control ready to be sent off around the layout to its next location.

The layouts scenic area consists of two levels split by 3-4" and I will be using 30" & 32" radius curves, the fiddle yard will be on a third lower level around 8" below the scenic boards.

I will be using the open frame method to construct the baseboards as only a few will have a full top covering.

Layout Plan Explained

Red highlighted tracks are bottom level and blue tracks top level the green lines indicate tunnel mouths. The red and blue lines at the top of the plan are inclines the rear incline from the bottom level will run under the top level tracks and behind the retaining wall marked on the image. All labels ending with a question mark are not yet final and are open to suggestions of things in place. I would like a TMD and a separate yard to shunt wagons I am considering putting a small TMD where the right hand side TMD label is and running a access line from the TMD to the Yard. Please note there will only be one TMD I just have a choice of two locations. If anyone has any ideas on what I can add remove or change please feel free to let me know as I want to finalise as much as possible in planning so that prep and basic layout structure will be a breeze to assemble. All boards are 2 Feet wide and there is plenty of room for ideas, the upper level station does not have to consist of multiple platforms and can be as narrow as possible if scenic ideas for the lower levels unused space are developed or suggested. Thank you all and please excuse the hilariously bad Photoshop jobby of my layout plan ! TIA !

post-12734-0-69223400-1520365635_thumb.jpg

• Like 1