Starting out in 3mm

numpty

What track guage would you suggest for a GWR branch line?

I’ve not build any track before but feel I’m capable and any advice on building track / points would be helpful.

Also what type of coupling would you recommend?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

What track guage would you suggest for a GWR branch line?

I’ve not build any track before but feel I’m capable and any advice on building track / points would be helpful.

Also what type of coupling would you recommend?

Thanks

It's up to you, depends a bit on where you want to concentrate your efforts. The quickest is to use Peco HOm track to 12mm gauge. Quite a few layouts have been built using it. It seems fine with 3mm Society Intermediate wheels, and with a bit of tweaking will even take Triang. You can also build your own track, using a similar approach to below.

If you opt for 14.2mm then I'd suggest one of two options. Both use the 3mm Society track bases for plain track. For points you can get 3SMR to build some for you, or you can make your own. If the latter, I'd suggest either using Templot to run off templates for the points you want, or find somebody who can do it for you. Alternatively, take templates in 4mm, such as the P4 ones sold by C&L, and downscale them. Templates are just a guide; the accurate bits are done using gauges.

Society Intermediate wheels are self-quartering (axle ends are square and so is the hole in the wheel). Society Finescale driving wheels are not, so you have to do the quartering yourself.

In either gauge, I'd suggest something simple to start with; getting a bit of track built and a few bits of rolling stock to run on it is the best way of getting something working.

Re couplings, you can use B&B, D&G, varieties of Triang-style couplings, and so on. I use B&B. Some say that they are fiddly to build, but if you are building a branch line with each vehicle always pointing in the same direction, then you don't need the full coupling on either end, which makes it much simpler.

Edited by NCB

B&B and DG couplings should be compatible, either of those should be your preferred choice. Triang hook and bar is a little bit last century, I wouldn't recommend that unless you are proposing to run Triang stuff. Sprat and Winkle etches were available in 3mm scale, I don't know if they still are.

Regarding gauge, if underscale gauge (OO for example) bothers you in any way then don't try 12mm gauge. It's worse than OO as a 1960s compromise. You'll need to join the Society to get access to a number of products but if you do then I'd recommend you buy a couple of wagon kits and a yard or two of Society track from the Society Shop (same day service if you order on Wednesdays) and see if you can make 14.2 gauge work.

Also if you join the Society you can come to Area Group meets. The London group will be having a chassis clinic in June at the MRC if you get to building locos