Using old paint

Many years ago while on holiday back home I picked up one of the small tins of Humbrol 104 to touch up a Hornby c/w No.2 Tank Engine which had taken a dive off the layout.  Luckily it landed on carpet and not severely damaged.  Recently I purchased a 20V No.3 GW engine that needed attention in a few spots so would the paint still be OK?  Opening the tin confirmed it was still liquid so after stirring the pot had a go.  It went on perfectly after all this time, no streaking to worry about and the match was just as good as its last use all those years ago.  This doesn't happen very often and is Humbrol actually still in business?  In any case, there is enough for any potential mishaps in the future!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago while on holiday back home I picked up one of the small tins of Humbrol 104 to touch up a Hornby c/w No.2 Tank Engine which had taken a dive off the layout.  Luckily it landed on carpet and not severely damaged.  Recently I purchased a 20V No.3 GW engine that needed attention in a few spots so would the paint still be OK?  Opening the tin confirmed it was still liquid so after stirring the pot had a go.  It went on perfectly after all this time, no streaking to worry about and the match was just as good as its last use all those years ago.  This doesn't happen very often and is Humbrol actually still in business?  In any case, there is enough for any potential mishaps in the future!

Brian.

Humbrol is now under the Hornby banner.

There was a period a few years ago when manufacturing was shifted to the Far East.

Longevity and quality of the paint suffered

Some of it is now made back in the UK and it is better than it was from China.

A quick search and more details about the brand here.

I wonder if the Manchester production is HMG Paints? They are very good and make the Railmatch brand as well.

Cheers,

Mick

Brian, I have a lot of Humbrol enamel tinlets which must be a couple of decades old.  I don't use these often, preferring acrylic.  However, when I have used them, they have still been viable.  If the paint is a bit stiff, a few drops of enamell thinners should set things right.

John