Fittling lights to a Hornby TTS Class 47

nicolasgreenin

Morning all,

My son would like me to fit lights to his Hornby Class 47 TTS R3393TTS.

I have ordered a kit from express models

Hornby Class 47 Diesel. Ref: DCC-HY47W
Designed for the Hornby Class 47 diesel. All marker and tail lights together with High Intensity WHITE Headlights. For 2 or 4 function decoders.

I don't think fitting this will be an issue my  issue is around the decoder and the sound module. Do the standard Hornby decoders have any provision for lighting or a spare function?

I assume not and if that is the case I will need to replace the decoder but do that mean I have to replace the sound chip as well?

I have also ordered a light kit for the Lima Class 55 but at this loco is very and dcc so I have just fitted a Gaugemaster DCC26 so I am not seeing that being an issue. 

Thanks

Nick

• Like 1

Yes you can fit the lights and they will work with a TTS decoder I have done this with an old Lima Porterbrook shell on the 47 TTS Chassis. If you are very careful you can even fit a stay alive directly to the chip - found a guide on here and tried it and it works. There are no spare functions though afaik (I may be wrong). The other issue as I have found using decoder pro as the Hornby models do not include lights they do not show up on the easy programming pages so any changes have to be done manually using the CV's.

Best thing to do in that case is just use two functions - you just join the express models wires together as shown in the instructions. No issues with the non sound one though.

• Like 1

I have checked the loco decoder plug and the required connections are there and the lights function is reserved.

post-31637-0-00132000-1520416873_thumb.jpeg

In preparation for the lights I have painted the inside of the cabs in black to stop any light leakage.

post-31637-0-13738200-1520416885_thumb.jpeg

I hope that this should be an easy task once the light kits arrive.

TTS supports directional lights on F0 and also an additional function on F25 (say cab lights). Clearly described in the manual.

Just be aware to keep the current load on the function outputs below 100mA each as they are not self protecting and an overload can damage the TTS decoder.

I am trying to install DIY lights into the same 47401 TTS model. I will be looking at 3mm leds and 0603 size smd leds to see which look the best. The windscreen mouldings incorporate blanks for the white lights and the red lights are solid so need drilling out to suit. Unfortunately the light spacing does not match up with veroboard spacing so it is going to be a bit of a fudge.

The other thing to notice is the inner four pins on the deocder socket are where you need to connect your blue, white, yellow and if needed green wires. Ex-factory only the outer four pins are wired - track pickups and motor connections.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply I have brought a kit from express models so I have the head light spacing is the same as the kit or I will be free styling. I have removed the windscreens but I was going to wait until I get the kit before I cut off light blanks. Also I am not sure how the light kit will interfere with the cab inserts. I was thinking of adding some more detail while they were out too.

I am still waiting for the light kit's I had a email from Rob at Express and he is making them so I hope to have them soon.

My main worry especially seeing this fitting guide is that the marker lights will hit the cab interior insert which looks bulker that in this guide but until they arrive I will not know.

As on your model the light holes are pre drilled I will have to adjust the LED spacing.

I have painted the interior grey with blue seats

post-31637-0-54943400-1521014484_thumb.jpg

post-31637-0-10940200-1521014506_thumb.jpg

And there would be no sense of fulfilment if it was easy...

I’m not totally happy with the end result using 3mm leds. 1.8mm would have been better but I have whats in my box.

By rigging all the resistors on a central board the vero at each end only has the leds, so although I had to trim the white light ‘blanks’ from the windscreen I didn’t have to chop as much off the drivers bench as i thought, certainly not as much as the linked installation did. The chassis need a bit of trimming to clear the leds vero but nothing too drastic.

Picture shows the general extent of the chops, I will tidy the raw edges up eventually.

...post-7193-0-92534700-1521374476_thumb.jpeg

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

SMD leds would have been better but the 0603 size I have are a tad fiddly to solder wires too (1mm x 0.8mm).

Had I been able to wire them up I would just have super-glued the whites to the windscreen extension and the reds direct to the body.

Rob

At the other end I just used the leds bare (no vero) nor was there any need to chop the drivers desk at all. A bit of UHU was used to insulate the led legs where the lower white anode crosses the cathodes.

Rob

post-7193-0-48640000-1521909870_thumb.jpg

post-7193-0-46104800-1521909905_thumb.jpg

Edited to show colours in led picture.

Edited by RAFHAAA96

The light kits arrived from Express models today and I must say they were well worth the wait. Thanks Rob for creating them.

The class 47 lights fitted perfectly I had to drill out a few of the holes to suit and a little from the cab inserts

post-31637-0-59658300-1522250997_thumb.jpg

post-31637-0-22991200-1522250979_thumb.jpg

post-31637-0-10875200-1522250981_thumb.jpg

post-31637-0-88913500-1522250982_thumb.jpg

The Class 55 also looks great with its directional tail lights

post-31637-0-33531800-1522250977_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1