A layout in a box - Chris Nevard

Just been reading on Chris Nevard's blog page about a layout in a box for a customer. It's a cracking little layout that allows for a bit of shunting.

I am seriously thinking of having a go myself but maybe add a magnet for hands free operating.

Do you think it would be better to have a shorter headshunt and long sidings or keep it as Chris built it?

Milano

Guest ShildonShunter

Impressive work by Chris and it definitely has given me some ideas for when I start to build my little layout. Stick with a short shunt.

I think it all depends on what era/time period you are modelling. I think if you were keeping it the same I would add provision to add a cassette on the end to allow a longer head shunt but having a smaller head shunt can make for more interesting operation.

I was thinking of reducing the head shunt to the loading dock and adding a cassette not the other end instead. Just not sure how to make use of the siding.

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2018 at 14:38, Milano said:

Just been reading on Chris Nevard's blog page about a layout in a box for a customer. It's a cracking little layout that allows for a bit of shunting.

I am seriously thinking of having a go myself but maybe add a magnet for hands free operating.

Do you think it would be better to have a shorter headshunt and long sidings or keep it as Chris built it?

Milano

This layout was commissioned on my behalf; see Great Coles Wood Halt (was City Goods Inspired 22L Micro Layout).

I'm currently working on a website (greatcoleswoodhalt.com) to give more detail about the construction and have just written a comprehensive (if entirely fictional) history of the branch.  The layout will be featured in the April'18 edition of Model Rail.

On 08/03/2018 at 17:57, Milano said:

I was thinking of reducing the head shunt to the loading dock and adding a cassette not the other end instead. Just not sure how to make use of the siding.

Adding a cassette would definitely add more operating scope!  It was something I considered but ultimately wanted the layout entirely self-contained.  The remote rural siding is inspired by Imberhorne Farm on the Tunbridge Wells & Three Bridges line, although the track layout was very different.  By basing the layout in 1961, as a fictional preserved railway, it can benefit from a little modellers license...

Edited by jafcreasey