ESU Loksound V4.0 MICRO - Will it Fit?

SDJR7F88

Hi all

I'm very new to the world of DCC, and I want to start fitting some of my locos.

Two of the locos I would like to start off with is my Hornby 72XX and Bachmann 'Jinty'. Being tank engines, there's naturally a lot less space to put a decoder and speaker in. I've come across a few posts from people who have fitted sound to these models, using the space left inside the boiler, which would be perfect for me (don't think I'm quite ready to start hacking models about yet).

I've also been looking at ESU Loksound V4.0 MICRO Decorders & Speakers and was wondering if they would fit this said space? I've been look at the ones that come pre-programmed with SWD Sound. I've yet to see one in the flesh, so don't quite know the side of them, so would be a great help if anyone knows if they would fit these models.

On a slightly different topic, can you adjust the chuff rate on decoders? I've yet to do this, but understand it's possible. Again any infomation would be much 

appreciated. 

Callum

Edited by SDJR7F88

• RMweb Premium

Callum

Have you a specific reason for your liking of Loksound decoders? I wouldn't rule out Zimo decoders as they may be a better option if space is tight or a better option cost wise or their sound files could be better - there are several sound file producers for both Loksound and Zimo (and other) decoders.

Yes, you can alter the chuff rate.

Both the Zimo and Loksound decoder manuals are readily available on line to download. These manuals will certainly be of use if you want to experiment with settings and the decoder retailer and/or their sound guy are usually very helpful when it comes down to the specifics (as are a number of people on RMweb).

Hope that helps.

P.S. I am nothing other than a customer of (a few) decoder retailers. I have hardly scratched the surface of what can be done with the decoders.

Callum

Have you a specific reason for your liking of Loksound decoders? I wouldn't rule out Zimo decoders as they may be a better option if space is tight or a better option cost wise or their sound files could be better - there are several sound file producers for both Loksound and Zimo (and other) decoders.

Yes, you can alter the chuff rate.

Both the Zimo and Loksound decoder manuals are readily available on line to download. These manuals will certainly be of use if you want to experiment with settings and the decoder retailer and/or their sound guy are usually very helpful when it comes down to the specifics (as are a number of people on RMweb).

Hope that helps.

P.S. I am nothing other than a customer of (a few) decoder retailers. I have hardly scratched the surface of what can be done with the decoders.

Thanks ever so much Ray.

As you can guess I'm still very new to this.

No partial reason for looking at the LokSound Decorders, other than I found them readily available on Rails of Sheffield, so was going to add one to an order I'm making. :)

I've had very good results with Loksound Micro decoders recently, as I've started to convert most of my fleet. I've sourced steam ones (4mt tank, 5mt) from Coastal and been very happy with their sound files, I've sourced diesel ones from Howes, DC Kits (legomanbiffo), C&PRR and Coastal, and been happy with their sound files also. Price-wise, in my opinion you'll be hard pushed to beat Coastal & Howes (in no particular order).

I've no connections with any of these suppliers, other than a satisfied customer.

I put TTS (a 4F was as close as I could get) into a Baccy Jinty, no problems finding room for the decoder but the cube speaker had to go into the cab. Some dismantling was necessary to slip the speaker in there. A driver may be added later to help disguide it.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Olivias Trains can work wonders fitting sound and stay alive chips into small tank engines.

This is some work theyve done for me this week:

Again, usual rider, Ive no connection to this business, just a satisfied customer.

• Like 1

Olivias Trains can work wonders fitting sound and stay alive chips into small tank engines.

This is some work theyve done for me this week:

Again, usual rider, Ive no connection to this business, just a satisfied customer.

Watched both your videos yesterday, they really do sound superb! 

I put TTS (a 4F was as close as I could get) into a Baccy Jinty, no problems finding room for the decoder but the cube speaker had to go into the cab. Some dismantling was necessary to slip the speaker in there. A driver may be added later to help disguide it.

Rob

Now that's a different idea, got any videos of it in action?

I thought the chuff rate wasn't adjustable on Hornby TTS decoders?

Cheers,

Mick

Indeed. Was just wondering if the chuff from certain TTS decorder might line-up better if fitted to different locos? Say if a loco has as lower gearing, it might match-up better?

When I said close as I could get, I wasn’t on about chuff rates, just 3F is as near 4F on my accuracy scale as it needs to be.

On the point of different locos better matching I have Tornado TTS lashed into a GWR Pannier Tank and the wheels size matches the chuffs nicely at the typical slow speed range I use it at, not so the whistles though.

Rob