Thanks Honest Tom and modelling mat for your replies.

On one location they used a slight hill and a siding, the idea being the the loco would uncouple from the coach ( the brake would be applied ) and draw into the siding, points would change and the coach would roll into the platform, the loco would then come out of the siding and couple to the front.

Also you could assume that a round round loop was behind the bridge.

Jerry.

• RMweb Premium

I like this layout. It's very evocative of the light railway - I can just imagine some tiny antiquated tank engine playing with a few trucks while the one passenger awaits his train.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how terminal halts such as these would have operated in terms of running the loco round?

Loco uncouples  moves into siding,  gravity shunt the coach and then recouple

Nick

Thanks Honest Tom and modelling mat for your replies.

On one location they used a slight hill and a siding, the idea being the the loco would uncouple from the coach ( the brake would be applied ) and draw into the siding, points would change and the coach would roll into the platform, the loco would then come out of the siding and couple to the front.

Also you could assume that a round round loop was behind the bridge.

Jerry.

Just found this thread and once again I cannot fail to marvel at your work Jerry. Quick progress and a lovely looking model. It could be a terminus on a curtailed light railway or even a fledgling preservation scheme. Could be operated with a Heljan Railbus or a small loco and four wheel coach or even a brake van. Incidentally the run round procedure you described above is prototypical of Killen on the Killen Junction to Loch Tay branch. After passenger services ceased to Loch Tay, trains terminated on the single line at Killen. The loco would then uncouple, run back beyond the points before moving forward into the goods yard. The handbrake in the coach would then be released and it would roll beyond the points under control of the guard, allowing the loco to complete the run round.

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks Andyram for your kind words, I remembered reading about gravity running round somewhere but couldn't remember which station it was.

I had a break from modelling as I am researching American railroads as that will be my layout and I fancy a change.

Work will commence on the layout in due course, I'm going to a few local shows so will be on the lookout for things to finish this layout and my new one.

More soon.

Jerry.

Good luck with your research Jerry. Is there a particular aspect or interest you are researching on American railroads?[/quote

Hi Luke.

I'm looking at short lines and team tracks, thinking of doing a micro layout in the 50's-60's period, I'm just collecting things for it at the moment, I also enjoy reading about the history of the railroads too.

Jerry.

Guest ShildonShunter

Fascinating history behind the American Railroads Jerry I for one will be looking forward to seeing your nxt project.;)

Edited by ShildonShunter

Thanks Kevin.

I will start a new thread here once I have some bits and pieces from local shows I'm attending, first thoughts are a simple switching yard about 4ft x 1ft and a small fiddle stick fiddle yard.

Jerry.

• Like 1