0 gauge micro

I got a special diameter colliery type wheel for my lapsed 4mm scale Bridgnorth funicular from Etched Pixels of this parish. He said that all he needed to do was "tweek his drawing"  adjusting diameter and number of spokes. Don't know whether he could offer the same service in 7mm scale and whether the resultant 3D product would stand up to the imposed loadings.

Mine came for fitting onto a D-shaped shaft , luckily I got a couple of spares, 'cos I sheared the internal locator by misaligning the first one!  

A bit more bodging with work on the pit loco shed, for want of a better description. The shed is based on the Stewart and Lloyds Minerals shed at Corby, just about big enough to take an 0-4-0

post-185-0-26832000-1523979528_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-53359200-1523979548_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Backscene boards fitted to the main baseboard and the timber obtained for the 350mm extension. New wheel fitted to the headframe and the Newcomen pump house has been clad ready for undercoat and paint. I plan to have a major painting session to complete all the structures and then paint, weather and ballast the trackwork.

post-185-0-46617900-1524761314.jpg

post-185-0-77685300-1524761333.jpg

post-185-0-98737300-1524761350.jpg

post-185-0-37236200-1524761370.jpg

• Like 8

Just a bit more bodging, work on the terraces and the pub "The Jolly Colliers". The pub building is a Petite Properties low relief model which I have converted to full depth. Still work in progress with lots to do, base colour painted then I will apply the cement courses and finally dry brush the brick colour before weathering. Glazing to be fitted and then the bay windows and inner door can be added along with the over door canopy. 

post-185-0-88360900-1525446796.jpg

post-185-0-23359200-1525446916.jpg

• Like 9

Playing around with ghost signs on the pub end wall. Just couldn't wait until I had finished dry brushing the brickwork or for that matter the rest of the paintwork prior to weathering. So here it is, sign printed on standard printer paper, then sanded on the back until it's almost through, then sanded on the front and then applied. They say patience is a virtue, Oh well, must have missed out on that. The hole in the sky needs to be sorted.

post-185-0-11758000-1526323678.jpg

• Like 5

More work on the pub or should it really be a beer house? Still far from finished but it now has a sign and 1940's curtains at the windows.

attachicon.gifIMG_0218.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0219 (1).jpg

A very nicely modelled pub! .... very reminiscent of one in Wednesbury run by my Aunt during the war years. particularly like the Ghost advert.!!

It's a bit late in the build to suggest a couple of additions / omissions,.... Most pubs had, direct from the street, an  "Off-licence" access  in the form of a window which opened onto the bar counter and (in my Grandmother's case) one presented a jug through the aperture to be filled with one's favourite tipple.  In your pub, the window would be in the side wall adjacent to the lean-to door.

There would also be facilities for delivering beer barrels to the cellar beneath the bar through a chute covered by upward opening flaps set into the pavement. 

The pub sign, bearing the "Wolverhampton & Dudley Ltd" name didn't ring true to me, but a can't make a claim to be an expert on pub signs!.... I would have expected the name of their principle brewery (Bank's) to be featured rather than the Group Name. (A history of the group at http://breweryhistory.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wolverhampton_%26_Dudley_Breweries_Ltd.). 

Sorry if the above seems critical or pedantic, that is not my intention, I realise the necessity for compression in your Micro layout, but at least you will have answers ready when other rivet counters view your layout.  

Edited by DonB

Guest ShildonShunter

Mike fantastic modelling I like your pub very much and the sign is really great.:)

It's a bit late in the build to suggest a couple of additions / omissions,.... Most pubs had, direct from the street, an  "Off-licence" access  in the form of a window which opened onto the bar counter and (in my Grandmother's case) one presented a jug through the aperture to be filled with one's favourite tipple.  In your pub, the window would be in the side wall adjacent to the lean-to door.

There would also be facilities for delivering beer barrels to the cellar beneath the bar through a chute covered by upward opening flaps set into the pavement. 

The Crown ot Lyde Green, can't show the photo as it may be subject to copyright, is not dissimilar to my Jolly Colliers and there are no flaps in the pavement, mine will be sited in the yard and the window/jug arrangement is at the end of the passage which is between the two bays via the front door. Banks and two other breweries became part of Wolverhampton and Dudley in 1890 and are now Marstons.

Edited by Mike

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

A couple of observations, if I may (and please feel free to completely disregard them).

Corrugated sheets would be made in fixed, regular sizes, so would not have resulted in a haphazard line across the roof, at least not if the tops were all in line.  They might have slipped, if the fixings had failed, but would still be the same length as their neighbours.  

Are the two pillars holding up the gable end of the loading screen big enough for the weight they are carrying ? There are an awful lot of bricks in the building, not to mention any machinery inside.

Stu

Thanks Stu for your observations, all the panels were cut to exactly the same length and width as per standard corrugated sizes. The minor variation in length is due to the sag in the ridge (not uncommon in buildings of this age). The uprights all four of them support the steel work which underpins the brick work and are tied together with supporting wires to prevent spread.

The Newcomen Engine House has moved on, but still very much work in progress. The rather strange mark on the building just below the roof is were I unfortunately had left a piece of masking tape. The front roof panel will not be fixed until the building has been painted and the glazing added.

post-185-0-73291600-1527346824_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-17773600-1527346846_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Guest ShildonShunter

Mike excellent modelling I like the newcomen engine house look forward to seeing it progress.:)

• 2 weeks later...

The Newcomen Engine house moves on but is still not finished as is the pub, that still needs a yard tap and an outside privy complete with newspaper squares on a nail.

post-185-0-87091000-1528042198_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-99414200-1528042230.jpg

• Like 5

Guest ShildonShunter

Very nice modelling I really like your weathering techniques look forward to seeing more.:)

Ballasting not one of my favourite jobs I'd sooner watch paint dry or cut my wrists, but that would make a mess of the baseboards. Hopefully it will be finished by the weekend after a visit to the 7mm Narrow gauge show in Burton. Phoenix figures and a few other bits'n'bobs on the agenda, the one advantage of having worked for B.R. I get free rail travel, couple that with my free bus pass and it's a no brainer. It's great being a senior and before you ask how old, I remember the big four and nationalisation not just the railways but coal and canals. Of course I was born at a very early age.clear.png ;)  

• Like 2