Statue or similar

I am putting together a 4mm scale road bridge - the brick piers at either end have a flat plinth atop 37mm x 14mm perfect for something to sit on top of. I was thinking of rearing horses but annoyingly Prieser only seem to do them in HO (too small) and 1:25th (far far too big) scales while something more 7mm to 1:50th would probably be better. Wondered if anyone knew of such (or something else that may work)

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

I am putting together a 4mm scale road bridge - the brick piers at either end have a flat plinth atop 37mm x 14mm perfect for something to sit on top of. I was thinking of rearing horses but annoyingly Prieser only seem to do them in HO (too small) and 1:25th (far far too big) scales while something more 7mm to 1:50th would probably be better. Wondered if anyone knew of such (or something else that may work)

One cheap solution I've seen for statues is to use a Britains (remember their farm animals and machinery?) soldier, either on his own or on horseback, painted brown and stained green to represent a weathered bronze statue.  Can't remember the scale but the figures are about 2" tall.

• Like 1

Does it have to be horses?

I would have thought that lions would be more likely to be displayed on a plinth. Think Britannia Bridge or Trafalgar Square.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/britannia_bridge/

Try toyshops or Amazon. Something like this comes to mind. They probably do horses as well. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Papo-50040-Lion-Figure-Multi-Colour/dp/B000GKW4CQ/ref=sr_1_12?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1520896333&sr=1-12&keywords=toy+lion

Not at those sizes. I was thinking they were small, 17 CM is a bit big.  :jester:

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

I am putting together a 4mm scale road bridge - the brick piers at either end have a flat plinth atop 37mm x 14mm perfect for something to sit on top of. I was thinking of rearing horses ...

That's expensive in reality, but if you like the idea then go for it.

... something else that may work...

A more practical fitting, large decorative luminaires. On a road bridge over a former branchline a short walk from where I am sitting.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4247114

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are two jade coloured plastic rearing horses on Ebay for £10. 6" in height. Item No: 222867155347.I typed in "plastic rearing horses" and got a few hits, jest depends on budget and appropriate size/scale

One cheap solution I've seen for statues is to use a Britains (remember their farm animals and machinery?) soldier, either on his own or on horseback, painted brown and stained green to represent a weathered bronze statue.  Can't remember the scale but the figures are about 2" tall.

Britains are 1:32 scale apart from their Lilliput range which are about 1:80 (intended originally for Trix Twin) - the figures are a little undersized for 00.

Statues are usually a bit oversized to appear lifesize on their plinth from ground level.

• Like 2

Have you tried Shapeways for something or you could even design your own and get a company like Shapeways to make them.

Thanks - found a lion of the right dimensions (1/64th); one end of the bridge is too tight to the edge of the baseboard for anything to fit on there so two ordered for the other end.

I could only find large and expensive rearing horses on the net, There are some included in Revell figure sets in 1:72, but it appears they are no longer current and thus 'collectible'.

How about dragons?

Had I seen this thread earlier I would suggested that Andrew Stadden had three or four notable Victorian/Edwardian Railway Engineers in his excellent 4mm range which he supplied with early pre-orders of his Edwardian figures and perhaps he could supply a set of those.

https://www.acstadden.co.uk/

Alternatively get Alan Butler at Modelu to scan and 3D print yourself in suitable period costume. 

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/

Having painted the lions decided that they looked wrong sat on the capping so they are now on plinths

post-147-0-71046200-1521737942_thumb.jpg

Paint used was Vallejo Off white with a wash of Citadel Gryphonne Sepia - the whole (lions and bridge structure) will get a mucky wash at some point. I intend to make it removal using magnets and tin strip to hold it in place as it somewhat awkwardly fits straight above a double slip.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1