Enamels changing colour in the tin?

I opened a tin of Phoenix Precision "roof dirt" enamel (a darkish slate grey) but found that it had turned to a dark green colour.

The tin was firmly sealed (had to use handle end of tweezers to get it open) and I'd given it a good shake. I figured maybe the pigments had separated so gave it an extra long stir using an electric paint stirrer (aka IKEA coffee frother with the head chopped off and a slight hook bent in). It made no difference to the colour though - still a kind of "forest green".

I tested it on a scrap of card and it definitely dried to this green. The drips that had dried around the rim from last time I'd used it (at least a year ago) were the correct grey though.

I've never noticed this happen with Humbrol or Revell enamels over the years. Does it just happen? Is this just a "bad colour"?

Cheers

Justin

But the dried bits around the rim were the correct colour.

Yup, I'd definitely used it myself before, and it had been the right grey.

I might even have believed that I'd put the wrong lid on the wrong tin or something, but as I said I could see dried paint in the little dip around the rim (so not just on the lid) and it was also the correct grey. Weird, isn't it! 

I'm guessing there isn't much I can do about this now. But I'd like to know if it was the result of anything I might have done (or not done) or just bad paint?

J

I opened a tin of Phoenix Precision "roof dirt" enamel (a darkish slate grey) but found that it had turned to a dark green colour.

The tin was firmly sealed (had to use handle end of tweezers to get it open) and I'd given it a good shake. I figured maybe the pigments had separated so gave it an extra long stir using an electric paint stirrer (aka IKEA coffee frother with the head chopped off and a slight hook bent in). It made no difference to the colour though - still a kind of "forest green".

I tested it on a scrap of card and it definitely dried to this green. The drips that had dried around the rim from last time I'd used it (at least a year ago) were the correct grey though.

I've never noticed this happen with Humbrol or Revell enamels over the years. Does it just happen? Is this just a "bad colour"?

Cheers

Justin

Assuming you mixed all the pigment that tends to settle at the bottom of the tin, it's possible it's just one of a bad batch, perhaps try contacting Precision Paints for their comments............