Rock Z21 not working?

70E

I assume you have 2 separate connections from the z/Z21: ONE pair to your programming track, and the other from the MAIN Track output ... and remember that the Z21 will switch between the 2 according to what you are doing:

Programming mode enables the PGM output- from  which it can also read back CVs  and write CVs.  It ought to be able to test run the loco on the Pgm track - and control its functions.

and Normal Operating mode in which you are only operating it   (unless you use Programming on Main mode)

Have you also looked at other information screens  -such as the track current flow?

On your phone(s) - have you made the Z21's router the preferred option - rather than your home network??

z21 only has one track output and you use a DPDT switch to change from mainline to programme track (if you want a separate track) ergo, if the OP can read and programme he should be able to control the mainline when using the throttle since when you change screen it changes the output mode.

On the Wi-Fi front he has switched off home network ergo can only be using z21 Wi-Fi

Z21 has 2 separate outputs for track and programming.

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought

Whilst I have no direct experience of a wifi-enabled z21 Start, my understanding is that they are sold with the network port restricted (restricted via the operating software). In order to get the z21 Start functioning correctly via Wi-Fi (and hence the app), you need not only a wireless router (which you have), but also a valid unlock code from Roco.

Were you supplied with this code, and have you applied it?

Cheers

Rob

I fear that you may be correct, however I am confused by the OPs ability to read CVs from a loco and reset the stop button on the app.

From his description it is only the throttle that will not move which would indicate that the functionality exists and I don’t think that they would cripple the Wi-Fi to all some aspects but not other. I would see them simply clamping to port to all connectivity reducing use to Multimaus or similar only.

I managed to replicate this issue by having multiple copies of the app open on an IOS9.3.2 iPad, I couldn’t open multiple app versions on an IOS 11 phone.

I do hope the OP comes back and tells us what the root cause of the issue is/was and that thread doesn’t simply just die without a final answer

• RMweb Gold

The z21 Start wi-fi router does indeed need a code which is supplied when you buy the wi-fi package, or is available separately. Its contained within a grey scratch off panel in the quick set up guide (took me a while to figure that out). I have a programming track as part of my layout which is set via a DPDT switch and an LED light to show when its "live". I use the old app on a Samsung tablet but I haven't had this problem either. Scratching head on everything else in the app but not the main function.

I purchased mine from Scograil and it came with a Multimaus. If he had a Multimaus we would at least know if the z21 works "hard-wired", helping to narrow things down a little.

If he follows the z21 you-tube video's online, it would help identify if a critical step had been missed in the set-up. Simon's Shed and a couple of other video blogs helped me get my head around it. Screen shots of the various set up pages etc may help us on here.

Lets hope its a hardware issue and is resolved with a replacement z21 and/or router!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I get the same problem if my phone is logged on to a router such as our main house router rather the Z21 router.

To connect my Samsung phone to the Z21 router I have to press the bottom LH corner of the screen to get a range of options then click on "settings", choose "wifi" from the next menu of options offered then click on the Z21 router.

I love my Z21 system but it does worry me that it might be a tad too "sophisticated" (i.e. "complicated" for my aging grey cells to understand. I think we did everything necessary to understand how my Hornby Dublo cotroller worked in "O" level physics in 1963.

Ian 

• Like 1

Why don't you just put the Z21 onto your home network? That is what I have done and it saves all that hassle, especially for the computer that needs to interface for automatic control.

I presume you just used the maintenance app to change the IP address of the Z21 and ignored all the dire warnings that are presented regarding support and then changed the IP address in the apps settings?

Why they couldn’t have given the Z21 a name and then used name resolution rather than a fixed IP address I don’t know. The Z21 could then have used dhcp and connected to any network

Exactly - I saw the warnings and accepted the challenge :)

If it did break for some reason then they would find it very difficult to deny responsibility and say that it was the network change that caused the fault - what they are saying is that they will not support any networking issues if you leave their default.

I agree that it would appear to be the easy thing to do by making it use DHCP, but that then presumes that the network extends to the 'railway room' and that the user is capable of enabling it to join the network . I see why they have done it they way that they have and suggest it is simply bad translation that has caused the doom and gloom warning.

• 3 years later...