Ivatt 2-6-2T Model Rail Masterclass

Tony Davis

I originally posted this in a different forum and got no response, so I thought it might be better to post it in the relevant magazine forum, hope this is allowed.

I picked up a copy of the April 2001 edition of Model Rail from a front-garden sale and was delighted to find an article on making models of the LMS push-pull coaches from comet kits, as have wanted to build a model of this railway since living in Wolverton - well, Stony Stratford, but I travelled to work from Wolverton every day so..

Anyway, in the article it was mentioned that there would, at sometime in the future, be a "Masterclass" on detailing the Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2T push-pull locotmotive, and I would like to know if it ever materialised and, if so, which issue it appeared in? I have had a look through Macgeordie's Model Rail index but can't find anything there.

Many thanks

Tony

I originally posted this in a different forum and got no response, so I thought it might be better to post it in the relevant magazine forum, hope this is allowed.

I picked up a copy of the April 2001 edition of Model Rail from a front-garden sale and was delighted to find an article on making models of the LMS push-pull coaches from comet kits, as have wanted to build a model of this railway since living in Wolverton - well, Stony Stratford, but I travelled to work from Wolverton every day so..

Anyway, in the article it was mentioned that there would, at sometime in the future, be a "Masterclass" on detailing the Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2T push-pull locotmotive, and I would like to know if it ever materialised and, if so, which issue it appeared in? I have had a look through Macgeordie's Model Rail index but can't find anything there.

Many thanks

Tony

I don't think we ever did the 'Masterclass'. The main improvement would have been to add the motion bracket that supports the slidebars. Bachmann has since retooled the chassis with the motion bracket, so the need for the Masterclass was much reduced. (CJL)

Back in 2009, I did a workbench feature on marrying the then new Ivatt 2-6-0 chassis and boiler with its vastly improved chimney, dome and smokebox door, to the old 2-6-2T tanks, cab and bunker. In the absence of a 'Masterclass', I offer these few images in case they are of interest....

post-6680-0-84134400-1521478821_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-77387800-1521478823_thumb.jpg

A new rear frame was made from Plastikard. Bogie wheels were Gibsons Bevel-rim type....

post-6680-0-17676400-1521478825_thumb.jpg

The Auto-Vac push-pull gear was also transferred to the rebuild. I added the fine cream line to the Grey lining to complete...

post-6680-0-01594400-1521478827.jpg

Finished loco..... 

post-6680-0-24008600-1521478829_thumb.jpg

The loco at the head of ex.LNWR push-pull fitted open saloons....

post-6680-0-57851600-1521478830_thumb.jpg

I don't think we ever did the 'Masterclass'. The main improvement would have been to add the motion bracket that supports the slidebars. Bachmann has since retooled the chassis with the motion bracket, so the need for the Masterclass was much reduced. (CJL)

Thanks,Chris, I thought that might have been the case.

Back in 2009, I did a workbench feature on marrying the then new Ivatt 2-6-0 chassis and boiler with its vastly improved chimney, dome and smokebox door, to the old 2-6-2T tanks, cab and bunker. In the absence of a 'Masterclass', I offer these few images in case they are of interest....

attachicon.gifWEB Ivatt conversion 0.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Ivatt conversion 1.jpg

A new rear frame was made from Plastikard. Bogie wheels were Gibsons Bevel-rim type....

attachicon.gifWEB Ivatt conversion 2.jpg

The Auto-Vac push-pull gear was also transferred to the rebuild. I added the fine cream line to the Grey lining to complete...

attachicon.gifWEB Ivatt conversion 3.jpg

Finished loco..... 

attachicon.gifWEB Ivatt conversion 4.jpg

The loco at the head of ex.LNWR push-pull fitted open saloons....

attachicon.gifWEB Ivatt conversion 5.jpg

They are of interest, thankyou.