HST fans

buckett

I have the following Hornby HSTs:

43 002/43 003 BR HST R3403

43 017/43 192 FGW HST R2812

43 172/43 154 FGW HST R3379

43 070/43 036 FGW HST R3478

43 187/43 188 GWR HST R3510

The top pair is original BR blue & yellow whilst the last pair is GWR green. All others are FGW blue.

I have just introduced an incline to our layout which an eight car set will not climb so I am motorising all the dummy cars and this works perfectly. To start this process I purchased a Hornby Virgin HST R3390 (power cars 43 311 and dummy 43 114) and notice that it has a different roof fan configuration (two fans instead of one). I have tried searching online to find a reason as to why this is the case ..can anyone help and are the single fan and associate grille design correct for FGW/GWR HSTs?

Thanks

I have the following Hornby HSTs:

43 002/43 003 BR HST R3403

43 017/43 192 FGW HST R2812

43 172/43 154 FGW HST R3379

43 070/43 036 FGW HST R3478

43 187/43 188 GWR HST R3510

The top pair is original BR blue & yellow whilst the last pair is GWR green. All others are FGW blue.

I have just introduced an incline to our layout which an eight car set will not climb so I am motorising all the dummy cars and this works perfectly. To start this process I purchased a Hornby Virgin HST R3390 (power cars 43 311 and dummy 43 114) and notice that it has a different roof fan configuration (two fans instead of one). I have tried searching online to find a reason as to why this is the case ..can anyone help and are the single fan and associate grille design correct for FGW/GWR HSTs?

Thanks

I don't know for sure but this may or may not be for MTU engine fitted HST's to replace the original Paxman Valenta vehicles. Perhaps this is for extra ventilation?

East Coast HST power cars now have (following MTU conversion) a Brush cooler group - I believe that this has the roof cowl divided by a tranverse bar. Great Western cars have a Voith group, which has a longitudinal bar. So, 43311/43114 - which are East Coast cars - should have a different configuration to FGW cars.

43002/003 are (presumably) representing the Valenta era, in which case they will have either a Serck or Marston group - and I'm sorry, I honestly cannot recall what either looked like from above.

East Coast HST power cars now have (following MTU conversion) a Brush cooler group - I believe that this has the roof cowl divided by a tranverse bar. Great Western cars have a Voith group, which has a longitudinal bar. So, 43311/43114 - which are East Coast cars - should have a different configuration to FGW cars.

43002/003 are (presumably) representing the Valenta era, in which case they will have either a Serck or Marston group - and I'm sorry, I honestly cannot recall what either looked like from above.

Thank you for taking the time to post this information - that makes good sense. So I will ensure that all my BR/FGW/GWR power cars retain a single fan. 

The *rappy Marston groups had the lateral slats on the group where as the Serck group had the transverse slats.