13 years ago today

• RMweb Premium

Well I was going to have beer free day, however I feel I need to celebrate RMWEB becoming a teenager.

So of the the pub for a couple of pints of Titanic (should go down well )

Well done Andy

Eltel

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Browsing RMWeb gives me a great deal of pleasure and little irritation (unlike some other places on the web).

Thank you too for letting me post so many of both Dad's and my photos on here.

Just about everyday I learn something new.

David

Edited to use a more appropriate word.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Let's have a celebratory wish list thread not had one for a while. Please Mr Bachmann can I have a ..................

… Let's think:

* Class 230 - never mind the fact that I've yet to see one in revenue service.

* D78 tube train - might as well go after 2 markets.

* DLR P86 LRV - well, if we are looking at obscure prototypes, we might as well look at one which ran in 3 places (London - and Manchester and Essen with a pantograph).

* Firema / AnsaldoBreda T68 / T68A LRV - only ran in Manchester (can't possibly think why …).

Or how about something more mainstream:

* Class 303.

* Class 304, 305, 308 or 504 - which might be able to use at least some of the same tooling.

* GWR "razor edge" railcars - especially 2 car sets but the single passenger ones would also be nice.

Of course, to keep all boxshakers - sorry, modellers - happy, these would all need to be in high street shops first thing tomorrow morning, at pocket money prices.

Anyway, while on the subject of wish lists, let's return to RMweb - and a familiar refrain:

Not forgetting "There's nothing here to interest me" :nono:

You're doing a fine job Andy. Keep up the good work (You don't have to be mad but it helps).

I wonder how long it will be before we get calls for more RMweb build challenges - locos / railcars - obscure prototypes - clever conversions of kits / RTR / cheap models unearthed from wherever.

Don't worry - you won't find those these days.

No - I'm not talking about cheap models (like many people here, I've long since given up on them).

I'm talking about even rarer beasts - people actually building models, as opposed to complaining about other people not building them for them.

Saying that, in time, it could be nice to see some new challenges based around building stuff that could be operated on a layout.

In the meantime, I'd also like to take the chance to thank you for setting up this site and keeping it going.

Regards,

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Andy, if you had to have purloined something from the running costs of RMweb for therapy how much would you need?

Mikkel - If we have ready to run now, does the VR headset take us in to Ready to Imagine and no one actually builds anything and Eastwood town looks different every day?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry am late to party!

But have gained so much from this forum....thank you Andy, the other mods and all the contributors who make this a great site to lurk on...

Phil

Just to add my congratulations to the stack. A well deserved pat on the back for Andy. I have been on here for around..............well stap me vitals I cannot recall when I actually started with RMWeb!  I have never been one for looking back, that was then this is now and I live for the now these days and RMWeb is and always will be a part of that.

• RMweb Gold

I wish it was only 3 years and not 13, because that would mean I was 10 years younger than I am now.

Mind you, I can neither confirm nor deny that I am (or am not) 10 years older than I was 10 years ago or might be at some point 10 years in the future, such confidential information cannot be quickly divulged (or not divulged).

I wasn't actually here from Day 1, but it was perhaps something like Day 7 or so, certainly within a week or so of the site first going 'live'.

I ate a lot of sausages back then, but didn't used to brag about it. 13 years later and I'm eating tasty salads made by CTMK from posh recipe books, thus am feeling virtuous today.

Happy Birthday to everyone and a huge thanks from me, too, to Andy, for making it all happen and keeping it all still happening now.

• RMweb Gold

I wish it was only 3 years and not 13, because that would mean I was 10 years younger than I am now.

Mind you, I can neither confirm nor deny that I am (or am not) 10 years older than I was 10 years ago or might be at some point 10 years in the future, such confidential information cannot be quickly divulged (or not divulged).

I wasn't actually here from Day 1, but it was perhaps something like Day 7 or so, certainly within a week or so of the site first going 'live'.

I ate a lot of sausages back then, but didn't used to brag about it. 13 years later and I'm eating tasty salads made by CTMK from posh recipe books, thus am feeling virtuous today.

Happy Birthday to everyone and a huge thanks from me, too, to Andy, for making it all happen and keeping it all still happening now.

And it's obviously not affected you one bit...

Not all members are male ;)

If I cast my mind back to biology at school, I think you'll find that...

Actually no, I'll get banned.

• Like 1

Crikey, has it been that long? That means I've been on the forum for 11 years myself. A very happy anniversary to Andy! Amazing to have seen how the site has grown, and might I add, a dramatic improvement in the manners of the participants over the years. Those early days...yikes! It was like the comments section on the Daily Fail website most days. Too many two-finger typing wars.

David

• RMweb Gold

Crikey, has it been that long? That means I've been on the forum for 11 years myself. A very happy anniversary to Andy! Amazing to have seen how the site has grown, and might I add, a dramatic improvement in the manners of the participants over the years. Those early days...yikes! It was like the comments section on the Daily Fail website most days. Too many two-finger typing wars.

David

Ah, the good old days...

post-7025-0-60164000-1521629394.png

• Like 1

Andy, would you please PLEASE steer clear from the crap that now runs NGRM, I really hate that invocation abomination of forum software :stink:  In fact, so much so I've basically stopped using NGRM at all and I'm afraid if you'd bring RMweb the same way, my involvement here will end PDQ too :banned:  I'm not looking forward to that... :no:

As NGRM isn't an open forum I can't see how they have utilised it but yes, it will be Invision's latest incarnation so I'll have to send you a 'Sorry you're leaving' card - you do seem to have pre-judged how we may be utilising it though.

Facebook is only a problem if you read some of the bilge posted (I have been having a cull of anyone who thinks they are a friend and posts racist/extremist material) and the intrusive elements - bring it back to being a platform for interaction and it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't get hung up on the 'steams', it's just terminology for the same ways our View New Content works. There are reasons for the transition; sound ones, such as ongoing security maintenance and GDPR compliance. There are also opportunities with it, numerous things I've identified which will mean more ways to interact within the community. From the limited view in the screenshot we will have a lot more functionality from the same core.

• 4 weeks later...

happy birthday RMweb, been here since Sept 2010

i went away from NGRM for a while before they changed as i wasnt posting anything and forgot about it. then when i went back it had changed all the "my content" and "followed content" had been wiped and it would have taken a few hours to trawl around building back up my followed content, i missed so much content while i was away that it would have taken many more hours to catch up and then the new site layout was abit confusing and not as user friendly as before which gives more time on top to get used to so i havent gone back, if hadnt of gone away in the first place none of this would have mattered

Edited by sir douglas