1969 NER/ER Cravens 2/3-Car DMU

Hi all,

Some may know I have been mentioning my plans for this project for quite some time now, so I've finally come around to posting it. For this project I thought I'd make a separate thread rather than putting it in my current workbench, so here it is! I have most of the materials I need so I hope to at least start marking out what to cut out on the sheets of plasticard I've got for the project and I'm hoping to use the Replica Railways die cast chassis for the DBMS car, so hopefully I can get my hands on one soon.

An image of what I'm basing this on:

http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/uploads/112/1600/class-112-dmu-1454082103-1600.jpg

The cars will be formed as per listed:

DBMS - DMC

OR

DBMS - *TC - DMC

*As Class 112's never had TC vehicles in them I've decided to put another type instead. A working like this has been recorded with a Class 127 centre car, however this was for a Class 113. I don't know exactly what centre car I'll use just yet, though.

NOTE: I am aware that Class 112's only really worked the LMR but I'm using this for my fictional layout 'Kingsborough'. In fiction the set I'm building was one of two Cravens Power twin sets (along with a random centre car) to be transferred here for 'scrapping' after withdrawal. They were returned to service relatively quickly and continued to do so until 'Kingsborough' became part of a preserved railway.

EDIT: Title change and additional information.

Edited by FPH 603
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just to be clear, the NER/ER never had any power twins or 3 car sets allocated. The power twins tended to be active in the Manchester area, the 3 car sets worked off Derby, so would have visited Lincon on the ER.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I have a postcard size photo of a train, at Scarborough, in about 1962, composed of at least two class 112 Craven's units, looking very new and smart. They must have worked through on an excursion service.

But it's quite correct that no power twins or triplets were ever allocated to the NER.

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

That is true, but this is more of a 'what if' sort of thing. Those who know my fictional layout Kingsborough, would know I have already mentioned the transfer of a couple of 112's, and a 113. This set actually I'm building would have been transferred to Kingsborough after withdrawal. Really the title should say 1969 rather than 1966 coming to think of it. Sounds stupid I know but I thought this would be more interesting (and cheaper) than a buying Bachmann class 105. Something not already made in RTR (although the 105's are almost identical other than the 112's and 113's having singular 238hp Rolls Royce engines rather than the typical 150hp AEC and Leyland ones) and not to mention the fact that you can point out 'I built that!' when someone looks at your model.

Edited by FPH 603

Were the 105s almost identical to 112/3s?

I thought some (if not all) of the latter had those massive combined destination and 4 character headcode panels above the cab windows which none of the 105s had. 

Were the 105s almost identical to 112/3s?

I thought some (if not all) of the latter had those massive combined destination and 4 character headcode panels above the cab windows which none of the 105s had.

The 113's had large destination boards, although the 112's had the usual LMR 2 character headcode box below the cab windows and destination blinds fitted at the gutter level.

That is true, but this is more of a 'what if' sort of thing. Those who know my fictional layout Kingsborough, would know I have already mentioned the transfer of a couple of 112's, and a 113. This set actually I'm building would have been transferred to Kingsborough after withdrawal. Really the title should say 1969 rather than 1966 coming to think of it. Sounds stupid I know but I thought this would be more interesting (and cheaper) than a buying Bachmann class 105. Something not already made in RTR (although the 105's are almost identical other than the 112's and 113's having singular 238hp Rolls Royce engines rather than the typical 150hp AEC and Leyland ones) and not to mention the fact that you can point out 'I built that!' when someone looks at your model.

Hey, if I can run a Co-Bo on my Southern-based layout, you can run a Cravens 112 anywhere you like!  :sungum:

Just to be clear, the NER/ER never had any power twins or 3 car sets allocated. The power twins tended to be active in the Manchester area, the 3 car sets worked off Derby, so would have visited Lincon on the ER.

The 3 car sets used to turn up on some odd services, such as the Wakefield Kirkgate Hull service, always wondered how the LMR sets got to Wakefield. 112s turned up at Hull a few times, seen the numbers recorded in the logs from the wash plant control room at Botanic.

• Like 1

Hi all,

The project has at last commenced. A couple of days ago I got some 40 thou plasticard and have since started drawing up the sides of what will become the DBMS E51700. I've decided to make the DBMS first to see how it will turn out and the DMC will follow after the DBMS' body nears completion.

post-32712-0-99867500-1521281220_thumb.jpeg

A close up the the marked out sides. The driver's side has since been cut out (see last attachment) and soon the non driver's side will be marked out and cut out in the same fashion.

post-32712-0-68725200-1521281270_thumb.jpeg

I would have made this scaled drawing of the DBMS nearly two weeks ago. I haven't made one for the DMC as the only significant difference is the end compartment. I may end up drawing the end compartment separately on a smaller piece of paper which I can then refer to when I get around to making the DMC.

post-32712-0-96959900-1521281351_thumb.jpeg

The driver's side of the DBMS released and will be ready to start drilling and filing back windows soon. The non driver's side will soon follow. Now to roll the sides to a Mk1 profile...

• Like 4

Just a small update:

I've started to cut out and file back the windows of the DBMS driver's side.

post-32712-0-27919700-1521326544_thumb.jpeg

I've tested this on the luggage compartment window and soon I will start doing the other windows soon. I will also make a 'how to' guide on what method I used in doing this. Note that I have also have scored the door seams and have highlighted them for clarity.

Edit: Forgot to add door seam info.

Edited by FPH 603
  • Like 3

Here's how I did the windows:

post-32712-0-17654100-1521354050_thumb.jpeg

Around the inside of the window I drilled 4 holes with a 1mm diameter drill bit away from the edges of the window.

post-32712-0-31834100-1521353959_thumb.jpeg

Next I drilled a couple more holes in between the holes in the 1st attachment on each side of the window.

post-32712-0-29552800-1521354162_thumb.jpeg

I then swapped for a 1.5 mm drill bit and expanded the existing holes drilled. I think I've strayed too close to the bottom edge there!

post-32712-0-14825600-1521354242_thumb.jpeg

Next I opted for a 2mm drill bit, and repeated the last step. Note I have deliberately have left one hole out as it was too close to the edge of the window.

post-32712-0-15678100-1521354350_thumb.jpeg

post-32712-0-45387100-1521354438_thumb.jpeg

Next I got out the scalpel and connected the holes, and eventually the bit in the middle should come out.

Now for the fun bit, FILING!

post-32712-0-92744100-1521355011_thumb.jpeg

File away the excess material with the flat end of the file as per the marked out windows on the bodysides. I find it useful to cut out bigger chunks with the scalpel then file it away rather than filing the whole lot. This saves time and makes less of a mess. Don't file the corners yet unless you're not going to have them curved.

post-32712-0-94348800-1521361602_thumb.jpeg

If you are going to have them curved now you can use the curved side of the file to get the rounded corners. Keep filing until it lines up with the edges of the window.

post-32712-0-58563800-1521361883_thumb.jpeg

The finished product should look something like this. It may still need a tidy up though.

• Like 6

Nice to see you havin' a scratch.

Is this your first go, or have you done other stuff?

Cheers

Scott

I made a train similar to the one on my profile picture over six months ago but it didn't turn out too great. I still plan to paint it but as a derelict thing in a siding. After this project I'm currently working on I'll make a Mark 2 version.

Not too much to report lately. I've (slowly but surely!) cut out more windows and have filed them back. I did have some issues with the middle window of the centre saloon though. The top bit that goes above the window snapped and I've been trying to glue it back in, but later found I had to carefully work my way around the bit then glue it back. (Note to self, DO NOT SNAP THE DAMN SECTIONS AGAIN!) The windows for the saloon behind the cab still need to be cut, and then I will draw up and cut out the other side. I hope to get the ends 3D printed very soon too so they can be primed and united with the sides. (I say 'ends' as I don't trust myself with the curved cut at the rear of the vehicle and some may have noticed I cut the sides to the doors rather than all the way back to the ends).